My LBS refused to put cheap shock on my bike

Trentus

Guest
Broke my front shocks recently. Couldn't afford to buy new ones just at the moment, certainly not
the ones I'd have liked to buy.

I wanted to go to about ($500) half the value of the bike when it was new. Alas I just couldn't
manage that sort of money, I had a max of $200 up front (Christmas has beene expensive this year),
and I didn't want to have to be off-the-road, instead of off-road, for long enough to save up more.
So off to the LBS to see what I can get with $200 (don't laugh, it was that or not ride at all while
I saved up)

He just looked at me - "You can't be serious, I'm NOT putting $200 shocks on a bike like that!!"
That's what I like about my LBS. Now it's no longer my fault I'm spending a heap more on my bike -
now it's their fault - well that's what I can tell my wife.

This LBS has received over $2000 from me in the last year and a bit. So this relationship of me
earning the money, and giving it to him, has paid off. His solution was to order me a set of Pilot
XC's, at a discounted rate of $400, give me free installation, and if I paid half now, he'd put them
on, and I could pay the rest off while riding them. So I still only spent the $200 (so far) but I
got a set of shocks that are worthy of the bike. By that, I mean an amount that is sensible based on
the value of the bike. I know you guys spend WAYYYYYY more than $400 on your suspension forks, and
these aren't exactly top of the line, but it's about what I think is fair to put on a bike that only
cost $1000. It would hardly be sensible to put $5000 shocks on a $1000 bike. But it's sure a heap
better than spending a measly $200 on some temporary crappy shocks.

Now if my knee would just heal up from the crash that originally broke the shocks, I'd be a happy
little chappy.

Trentus

Trentus wrote:

> Broke my front shocks recently. Couldn't afford to buy new ones just at the moment, certainly not
> the ones I'd have liked to buy.
>
> I wanted to go to about ($500) half the value of the bike when it was new. Alas I just couldn't
> manage that sort of money, I had a max of $200 up front (Christmas has beene expensive this year),
> and I didn't want to have to be off-the-road, instead of off-road, for long enough to save up
> more. So off to the LBS to see what I can get with $200 (don't laugh, it was that or not ride at
> all while I saved up)
>
> He just looked at me - "You can't be serious, I'm NOT putting $200 shocks on a bike like that!!"
> That's what I like about my LBS. Now it's no longer my fault I'm spending a heap more on my bike -
> now it's their fault - well that's what I can tell my wife.
>
> This LBS has received over $2000 from me in the last year and a bit. So this relationship of me
> earning the money, and giving it to him, has paid off. His solution was to order me a set of Pilot
> XC's, at a discounted rate of $400, give me free installation, and if I paid half now, he'd put
> them on, and I could pay the rest off while riding them. So I still only spent the $200 (so far)
> but I got a set of shocks that are worthy of the bike. By that, I mean an amount that is sensible
> based on the value of the bike. I know you guys spend WAYYYYYY more than $400 on your suspension
> forks, and these aren't exactly top of the line, but it's about what I think is fair to put on a
> bike that only cost $1000. It would hardly be sensible to put $5000 shocks on a $1000 bike. But
> it's sure a heap better than spending a measly $200 on some temporary crappy shocks.
>
> Now if my knee would just heal up from the crash that originally broke the shocks, I'd be a happy
> little chappy.
>
> Trentus

Not to rain on your parade, but I just bought a 2002 Marathon for $350 USD. I'd look around a bit
before spending $400 on a Pilot.

"Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Trentus wrote:
>
> > Broke my front shocks recently. Couldn't afford to buy new ones just at the moment, certainly
> > not the
ones
> > I'd have liked to buy.
> >
> > I wanted to go to about ($500) half the value of the bike when it was
new.
> > Alas I just couldn't manage that sort of money, I had a max of $200 up
front
> > (Christmas has beene expensive this year), and I didn't want to have to
be
> > off-the-road, instead of off-road, for long enough to save up more. So off to the LBS to see
> > what I can get with $200 (don't laugh, it was
that
> > or not ride at all while I saved up)
> >
> > He just looked at me - "You can't be serious, I'm NOT putting $200
shocks on
> > a bike like that!!" That's what I like about my LBS. Now it's no longer my fault I'm
spending a
> > heap more on my bike - now it's their fault - well that's what I can
tell my
> > wife.
> >
> > This LBS has received over $2000 from me in the last year and a bit. So
this
> > relationship of me earning the money, and giving it to him, has paid
off.
> > His solution was to order me a set of Pilot XC's, at a discounted rate
of
> > $400, give me free installation, and if I paid half now, he'd put them
on,
> > and I could pay the rest off while riding them. So I still only spent
the
> > $200 (so far) but I got a set of shocks that are worthy of the bike. By that, I mean an amount
> > that is sensible based on the value of the
bike. I
> > know you guys spend WAYYYYYY more than $400 on your suspension forks,
and
> > these aren't exactly top of the line, but it's about what I think is
fair to
> > put on a bike that only cost $1000. It would hardly be sensible to put
$5000
> > shocks on a $1000 bike. But it's sure a heap better than spending a
measly
> > $200 on some temporary crappy shocks.
> >
> > Now if my knee would just heal up from the crash that originally broke
the
> > shocks, I'd be a happy little chappy.
> >
> > Trentus
>
> Not to rain on your parade, but I just bought a 2002 Marathon for $350
USD. I'd
> look around a bit before spending $400 on a Pilot.

Not to rain on your parade, but that 400 was AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS. Your $350 Marathons would equate
to damn near $700!!! here. I couldn't really afford the $420, and SEVEN HUNDRED is out of the
question big time.

Trentus

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
<snip>
> > Not to rain on your parade, but I just bought a 2002 Marathon for $350
> USD. I'd
> > look around a bit before spending $400 on a Pilot.
>
> Not to rain on your parade, but that 400 was AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS. Your $350 Marathons would equate
> to damn near $700!!! here. I couldn't really afford the $420, and SEVEN HUNDRED is out of the
question
> big time.
>
> Trentus

Ditto. Some of the prices you get in this part of the world are absurb. I gotta admit that the NZD
is starting to look pretty good against the ol' greenback lately. Heck, we might even reach parity
with the AUD the way it's going....

Westie

> Ditto. Some of the prices you get in this part of the world are absurb. I gotta admit that the NZD
> is starting to look pretty good against the ol' greenback lately. Heck, we might even reach parity
> with the AUD the way it's going....
>
> Westie

Yep, $1.08 AUD (my boss is a kiwi and constantly points things like that out) I remember once when
it was $1.32 AUD

Trentus