My LBS refused to put cheap shock on my bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trentus

Broke my front shocks recently. Couldn't afford to buy new ones just at the moment, certainly not
the ones I'd have liked to buy.

I wanted to go to about ($500) half the value of the bike when it was new. Alas I just couldn't
manage that sort of money, I had a max of $200 up front (Christmas has beene expensive this year),
and I didn't want to have to be off-the-road, instead of off-road, for long enough to save up more.
So off to the LBS to see what I can get with $200 (don't laugh, it was that or not ride at all while
I saved up)

He just looked at me - "You can't be serious, I'm NOT putting $200 shocks on a bike like that!!"
That's what I like about my LBS. Now it's no longer my fault I'm spending a heap more on my bike -
now it's their fault - well that's what I can tell my wife.

This LBS has received over $2000 from me in the last year and a bit. So this relationship of me
earning the money, and giving it to him, has paid off. His solution was to order me a set of Pilot
XC's, at a discounted rate of $400, give me free installation, and if I paid half now, he'd put them
on, and I could pay the rest off while riding them. So I still only spent the $200 (so far) but I
got a set of shocks that are worthy of the bike. By that, I mean an amount that is sensible based on
the value of the bike. I know you guys spend WAYYYYYY more than $400 on your suspension forks, and
these aren't exactly top of the line, but it's about what I think is fair to put on a bike that only
cost $1000. It would hardly be sensible to put $5000 shocks on a $1000 bike. But it's sure a heap
better than spending a measly $200 on some temporary crappy shocks.

Now if my knee would just heal up from the crash that originally broke the shocks, I'd be a happy
little chappy.

Trentus

Trentus wrote:

> Broke my front shocks recently. Couldn't afford to buy new ones just at the moment, certainly not
> the ones I'd have liked to buy.
>
> I wanted to go to about ($500) half the value of the bike when it was new. Alas I just couldn't
> manage that sort of money, I had a max of $200 up front (Christmas has beene expensive this year),
> and I didn't want to have to be off-the-road, instead of off-road, for long enough to save up
> more. So off to the LBS to see what I can get with $200 (don't laugh, it was that or not ride at
> all while I saved up)
>
> He just looked at me - "You can't be serious, I'm NOT putting $200 shocks on a bike like that!!"
> That's what I like about my LBS. Now it's no longer my fault I'm spending a heap more on my bike -
> now it's their fault - well that's what I can tell my wife.
>
> This LBS has received over $2000 from me in the last year and a bit. So this relationship of me
> earning the money, and giving it to him, has paid off. His solution was to order me a set of Pilot
> XC's, at a discounted rate of $400, give me free installation, and if I paid half now, he'd put
> them on, and I could pay the rest off while riding them. So I still only spent the $200 (so far)
> but I got a set of shocks that are worthy of the bike. By that, I mean an amount that is sensible
> based on the value of the bike. I know you guys spend WAYYYYYY more than $400 on your suspension
> forks, and these aren't exactly top of the line, but it's about what I think is fair to put on a
> bike that only cost $1000. It would hardly be sensible to put $5000 shocks on a $1000 bike. But
> it's sure a heap better than spending a measly $200 on some temporary crappy shocks.
>
> Now if my knee would just heal up from the crash that originally broke the shocks, I'd be a happy
> little chappy.
>
> Trentus

Not to rain on your parade, but I just bought a 2002 Marathon for $350 USD. I'd look around a bit
before spending $400 on a Pilot.

"Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Trentus wrote:
>
> > Broke my front shocks recently. Couldn't afford to buy new ones just at the moment, certainly
> > not the
ones
> > I'd have liked to buy.
> >
> > I wanted to go to about ($500) half the value of the bike when it was
new.
> > Alas I just couldn't manage that sort of money, I had a max of $200 up
front
> > (Christmas has beene expensive this year), and I didn't want to have to
be
> > off-the-road, instead of off-road, for long enough to save up more. So off to the LBS to see
> > what I can get with $200 (don't laugh, it was
that
> > or not ride at all while I saved up)
> >
> > He just looked at me - "You can't be serious, I'm NOT putting $200
shocks on
> > a bike like that!!" That's what I like about my LBS. Now it's no longer my fault I'm
spending a
> > heap more on my bike - now it's their fault - well that's what I can
tell my
> > wife.
> >
> > This LBS has received over $2000 from me in the last year and a bit. So
this
> > relationship of me earning the money, and giving it to him, has paid
off.
> > His solution was to order me a set of Pilot XC's, at a discounted rate
of
> > $400, give me free installation, and if I paid half now, he'd put them
on,
> > and I could pay the rest off while riding them. So I still only spent
the
> > $200 (so far) but I got a set of shocks that are worthy of the bike. By that, I mean an amount
> > that is sensible based on the value of the
bike. I
> > know you guys spend WAYYYYYY more than $400 on your suspension forks,
and
> > these aren't exactly top of the line, but it's about what I think is
fair to
> > put on a bike that only cost $1000. It would hardly be sensible to put
$5000
> > shocks on a $1000 bike. But it's sure a heap better than spending a
measly
> > $200 on some temporary crappy shocks.
> >
> > Now if my knee would just heal up from the crash that originally broke
the
> > shocks, I'd be a happy little chappy.
> >
> > Trentus
>
> Not to rain on your parade, but I just bought a 2002 Marathon for $350
USD. I'd
> look around a bit before spending $400 on a Pilot.

Not to rain on your parade, but that 400 was AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS. Your $350 Marathons would equate
to damn near $700!!! here. I couldn't really afford the $420, and SEVEN HUNDRED is out of the
question big time.

Trentus

"Trentus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Eric Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
<snip>
> > Not to rain on your parade, but I just bought a 2002 Marathon for $350
> USD. I'd
> > look around a bit before spending $400 on a Pilot.
>
> Not to rain on your parade, but that 400 was AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS. Your $350 Marathons would equate
> to damn near $700!!! here. I couldn't really afford the $420, and SEVEN HUNDRED is out of the
question
> big time.
>
> Trentus
>

Ditto. Some of the prices you get in this part of the world are absurb. I gotta admit that the NZD
is starting to look pretty good against the ol' greenback lately. Heck, we might even reach parity
with the AUD the way it's going....

Westie

> Ditto. Some of the prices you get in this part of the world are absurb. I gotta admit that the NZD
> is starting to look pretty good against the ol' greenback lately. Heck, we might even reach parity
> with the AUD the way it's going....
>
> Westie

Yep, $1.08 AUD (my boss is a kiwi and constantly points things like that out) I remember once when
it was $1.32 AUD

Trentus

Status
Not open for further replies.