My lid doesn't fit

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ladainian Tomli, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I recently noticed that the lid for the saucepan that I always use to cook rice no longer fits
    snugly. So now my rice is undercooked every time. I'm not sure if the pan was cheap (roommate's, and
    it's not that old) or if we mistreated the lid or if this just happens, but I was wondering if you
    all have any clever solutions before I start making my own. An old thread suggested adding more
    water, but that seems like it's solving the wrong problem. I figure a rubber band around the inner
    lip might seal better, although it isn't very long-term.

    Any insights are appreciated.

    Brandan L.
    --
    bclennox AT eos DOT ncsu DOT edu

    Tags:

  2. Sam D.

    Sam D. Guest

    "LaDainian Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently noticed that the lid for the saucepan that I always use to cook rice no longer fits
    > snugly. So now my rice is undercooked every time. I'm not sure if the pan was cheap (roommate's,
    > and it's not that old) or if we mistreated the lid or if this just happens, but I was wondering if
    > you all have any clever solutions before I start making my own. An old thread suggested adding
    > more water, but that seems like it's solving the wrong problem. I figure a rubber band around the
    > inner lip might seal better, although it isn't very long-term.

    If the misfit is due to damage, I think you could tell from examining the lid and pan.

    Any particular reason why you wouldn't simply replace the pan and lid. If you puchase good quality
    cookware it will last a long time and will be resistant to damage and deterioration. It I have some
    stainless pots and pans with copper clad bottoms that have been in use for over 30 years.

  3. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    :
[...]
    : --
    : bclennox AT eos DOT ncsu DOT edu
    =========

    Well... the el-cheapo in me would cover the pan in foil. <shrug>

    There are also those 'universal' lids that have ridges built in that can cover multiple sized
    pans... but I don't know if it would seal well enough for rice...
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

  4. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]_s01:

    > "LaDainian Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >: Hi,
    >:
    >: I recently noticed that the lid for the saucepan that I always
    > use to
    >: cook rice no longer fits snugly. So now my rice is undercooked
    > every
    >: time. I'm not sure if the pan was cheap (roommate's, and it's
    > not that
    >: old) or if we mistreated the lid or if this just happens, but I
    > was
    >: wondering if you all have any clever solutions before I start
    > making my
    >: own. An old thread suggested adding more water, but that seems
    > like
    >: it's solving the wrong problem. I figure a rubber band around
    > the
    >: inner lip might seal better, although it isn't very long-term.
    >:
    >: Any insights are appreciated.
    >:
    >: Brandan L.
    >: --
    >: bclennox AT eos DOT ncsu DOT edu
    > =========
    >
    > Well... the el-cheapo in me would cover the pan in foil. <shrug>
    >
    > There are also those 'universal' lids that have ridges built in that can cover multiple sized
    > pans... but I don't know if it would seal well enough for rice...

    Cheap fix is to cover the pot with a towel then the lid. Oh course being careful the towel doesn't
    have a chance of touching the heat source, kitchen fires aren't fun.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
    --------

  5. LaDainian Tomlinson wrote:

    > I recently noticed that the lid for the saucepan that I always use to cook rice no longer fits
    > snugly. So now my rice is undercooked every time.

    I'm confused... Sure, we have two very differing methods to cook rice :) I cook mine without the
    lid, just boiling it the time it needs, from 20 minutes for raw (not wild) rice, to the 10 or
    less for parboiled rice. How does that saucepan works? Isn't it just a bowl where to boil salted
    water and rice?

    Vilco

  6. On 16 Feb 2004, "Sam D." <[email protected]> wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    > If the misfit is due to damage, I think you could tell from examining the lid and pan.
    >
    > Any particular reason why you wouldn't simply replace the pan and lid. If you puchase good quality
    > cookware it will last a long time and will be resistant to damage and deterioration. It I have
    > some stainless pots and pans with copper clad bottoms that have been in use for over 30 years.

    I haven't bought a new set primarily because I'm cheap and we've already got a set that pretty much
    does its job. Plus these pans are only 6 months old. I also don't want to buy anything too terribly
    nice because I don't completely trust my housemates to be as obsessively careful as I would. I'm
    already seeing scratches in the teflon of these. I'll buy some good equipment eventually, or get
    some for graduation more than likely.

    Thanks for the input,

    Brandan L.
    --
    bclennox AT eos DOT ncsu DOT edu

  7. On 16 Feb 2004, "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in
    rec.food.cooking:

    > Well... the el-cheapo in me would cover the pan in foil. <shrug>

    I thought about that too, but it seems pretty wasteful. Not a bad temporary fix though.

    > There are also those 'universal' lids that have ridges built in that can cover multiple sized
    > pans... but I don't know if it would seal well enough for rice...

    I'll look into that. Maybe I could put some epoxy to snug it up a little, or clamp the lid
    with a vice...

    Brandan L.
    --
    bclennox AT eos DOT ncsu DOT edu

  8. Dan Levy

    Dan Levy Guest

    "Vilco [out]" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > LaDainian Tomlinson wrote:
    >
    > > I recently noticed that the lid for the saucepan that I always use to cook rice no longer fits
    > > snugly. So now my rice is undercooked every time.
    >
    > I'm confused... Sure, we have two very differing methods to cook rice :) I cook mine without the
    > lid, just boiling it the time it needs, from 20 minutes for raw (not wild) rice, to the 10 or less
    > for parboiled rice. How does that saucepan works? Isn't it just a bowl where to boil salted water
    > and rice?
    >
    > Vilco

    That actually works pretty good. Use 4x the water or more, boil like pasta, and just drain it
    afterwards. You lose some nutrients that way, but you also lose the stickiness.

    As for the original "lid problem" it could be a matter of the pan having gotten bumped or dropped
    and knocked out of round, then the lip of the lid sits partly on top of the rim instead of dropping
    into the rim. That problem can be solved with some careful knocks with a mallet or a piece of wood,
    to reshape the rim into a circle.

  9. On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:21:19 +0100, Vilco [out] wrote:

    > LaDainian Tomlinson wrote:
    >
    >> I recently noticed that the lid for the saucepan that I always use to cook rice no longer fits
    >> snugly. So now my rice is undercooked every time.
    >
    > I'm confused... Sure, we have two very differing methods to cook rice :) I cook mine without the
    > lid, just boiling it the time it needs, from 20 minutes for raw (not wild) rice, to the 10 or less
    > for parboiled rice. How does that saucepan works? Isn't it just a bowl where to boil salted water
    > and rice?
    >
    > Vilco

    It depends on the rice. I likke to cook long grain American rice in lots of water like pasta, but
    Basmati just has to be steamed in a little water in a closed pan.
    --
    Tim.

    If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would be so simple that
    we couldn't.

  10. On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 00:35:40 GMT, LaDainian Tomlinson wrote:

    > On 16 Feb 2004, "Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> Well... the el-cheapo in me would cover the pan in foil. <shrug>
    >
    > I thought about that too, but it seems pretty wasteful. Not a bad temporary fix though.
    >
    >> There are also those 'universal' lids that have ridges built in that can cover multiple sized
    >> pans... but I don't know if it would seal well enough for rice...
    >
    > I'll look into that. Maybe I could put some epoxy to snug it up a little, or clamp the lid with
    > a vice...
    >
    > Brandan L.

    Or just a sheet of aluminium foil loosely over the pan, then put the lid on top of that, so the
    foils is sandwhiched in between. It works well for the loose lids I have when I need a snug fit.
    --
    Tim.

    If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would be so simple that
    we couldn't.

  11. Stark Raven

    Stark Raven Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Vilco [out] <[email protected]> wrote:

    > LaDainian Tomlinson wrote:
    >
    > > I recently noticed that the lid for the saucepan that I always use to cook rice no longer fits
    > > snugly. So now my rice is undercooked every time.

    Note to original poster. If you want to cook rice with covered pot, after the first boil, when you
    turn your burner down to its lowest setting, or off, seal your pot top with a cotton towel or some
    plastic wrap. Don't know how the new Glad "seal" wrap responds to heat, but you might be able to use
    it, replacing your top all together. Then again the seal wrap might blow. Use a towel.

  12. Ravinwulf

    Ravinwulf Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:17:25 GMT, Tim Challenger
    <"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"> wrote:

    >It depends on the rice. I likke to cook long grain American rice in lots of water like pasta, but
    >Basmati just has to be steamed in a little water in a closed pan.

    I cook all rice (including Basmati) by bringing a quantity of water to a boil (exact amount
    unimportant), rinsing the rice and adding it, boiling until done, draining it, and leaving it
    covered for a few minutes to fluff up a bit. It always turns out perfect.

    Tracy R.

  13. On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:50:43 -0600, ravinwulf wrote:

    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:17:25 GMT, Tim Challenger <"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at"> wrote:
    >
    >>It depends on the rice. I likke to cook long grain American rice in lots of water like pasta, but
    >>Basmati just has to be steamed in a little water in a closed pan.
    >
    > I cook all rice (including Basmati) by bringing a quantity of water to a boil (exact amount
    > unimportant), rinsing the rice and adding it, boiling until done, draining it, and leaving it
    > covered for a few minutes to fluff up a bit. It always turns out perfect.
    >
    > Tracy R.

    I find the basmati loses most of its aroma if I do it that way. And it tends to get cooked on the
    outside too quickly, so the outside is soggy while the inside is still uncooked. The worst of both
    worlds, so to speak.