My longest ride, how are my stats?

Jace1283

Sep 3, 2006
i had only done some short rides and i commute to work when its warm enough, only 4 miles. I wanted to do a longer ride on my road bike and got a day off to do it, it went pretty quick and wasn't as far as i thought but heres the computer readouts. 10.5 miles, time 33 mins, top speed 38.36, avg speed 18.53. I just got a nice riding shirt that fits tight and keeps me warm, i think it helped with aerodynamics. Decent numbers?

Jace1283 said:
i had only done some short rides and i commute to work when its warm enough, only 4 miles. I wanted to do a longer ride on my road bike and got a day off to do it, it went pretty quick and wasn't as far as i thought but heres the computer readouts. 10.5 miles, time 33 mins, top speed 38.36, avg speed 18.53. I just got a nice riding shirt that fits tight and keeps me warm, i think it helped with aerodynamics. Decent numbers?
depends - was the 38 mph on the flat or downhill? If it was a sprint on the flat then it's awesome. I'm cat 1 and the fastest I have ever gone on the flat (or needed to go) is 37mph.

if you can up your average speed to 25 mph you're at the magic 40 km/h mark that marks the higher levels of racing.

you needed a day off to go on a 33 minute ride? How many hours a day do you have to work?

The best I have ever done on my 10 mile run is 17.5 mph but it is 100 feet per mile climbing.
It is all relative.

Jace1283 said:
And how strong was the behind you? ;) TYSON

well i did a loop and naturally there were ups and downs but it should equal out since i did a loop. that was the fastest ive gone so far, i was flyin down a hill pedaling as hard as i could in top gears, i'm goin for 40 next time. i guess you guys are saying those are decent numbers from the little you said, i think i should try a race sometime to see where i stand, i'm planning on doing the PMC here in mass but i dont know where they have races. i'm built perfectly for road biking, 6'1" , light and pretty thin(aerodynamic) but i also have some speed strength(sprinter in college, though not as fast as the jacked under 6' peeps). I dont know how much the bike helps but its a 06 lemond alpe d'huez. thanks for the responses

i go to school m-f 6:30 to 12:45 then i work 3-9 except on wed+thu but i may work on a flower farm those days, usually will -my choice. I work 9 hours saturday and seven on sunday plus i study and sell things on ebay for people, then i gotta eat and rest sometime. there isn't much left over when its all said and done. and to have energy for that i gotta eat so if i bike i gotta eat more cause i simply can't gain weight but can't afford to get thinner, im just one of those food burnin peeps who eat a bunch of ice cream and lose 2 lbs.

BullGod said:
depends - was the 38 mph on the flat or downhill? If it was a sprint on the flat then it's awesome. I'm cat 1 and the fastest I have ever gone on the flat (or needed to go) is 37mph.

if you can up your average speed to 25 mph you're at the magic 40 km/h mark that marks the higher levels of racing.

you needed a day off to go on a 33 minute ride? How many hours a day do you have to work?

37 mph under your own power on a flat surface?, i find that almost hard to beleive, when i was goin 38 there was so much air...i need to find a flat surface and see what i can do. How long can you sustain that??

Jace1283 said:
37 mph under your own power on a flat surface?, i find that almost hard to beleive, when i was goin 38 there was so much air...i need to find a flat surface and see what i can do. How long can you sustain that??
Note that BullGod mentioned that he was a CAT 1. So that isn't at all hard to believe. Now if that was coming from a CAT 5 I would think that he was full of $hit.

Each year for the past two years I have had the privelage of doing a benefit ride for special needs people. This year I was able to complete over 90 miles. We had a loop of 18.2 miles and would stop for refreshment between loops. On the third loop we were joined by some of the special needs kids which only allow us to average about 6-7 mph on that loop, but that made this ride really special. All in all we totaled about 90 miles and averaged between 16 and 21 mph each loop.

Jace1283 said:
depends on the wind.....I am based in Holland and the crosswinds are legendary. If there's a blow on it's hard to get above 50kph, but if wind conditions are favourable (or not unfavourable) and I feel good I can hit 55+ for a minute or so....Last night I did a 5 minute interval above 50kph but there was quite a wind behind me. The elites I ride with can hit 60kph. That is tough.

just takes lots of training and practice.....I know plenty of guys in the lower categories who can hit that speed too, it's just their endurance and longer interval speed that is less good.

Jace1283 said:
That's Great!

I'm glad that your enjoying this wonderful sport.

My first "long" ride was about 5 years ago when I was 11, I had a yellow huffy ( lol) and I rode about 10 miles in the park with my parents and pretty soon we started doing this every Saturday and about 1-2 days during the week.

I rode around casually on MTB's until I was 14 ( two years ago) and then I got into road riding. My first ever " serious" ride on the road was 12 miles, avg. speed 16.7, time 1 hr. 25 min.

I am now 16 ( almost 17) I have been racing for two years, I am on the verge of becoming a Cat. 3 and I will hopefully finish next season as a Cat. 2, I am also currently on a development team from which I will move to a pro team in a few years.

Oh, the fastest speed I have ever reached on the flats ( I am a sprinter/ time trialist, 6' 3 ,155 lbs.) was around 38 MPH, there was a crash right in front of me during that sprint and I was able to avoid it and while I was avoiding it my front wheel slid ( at 38 MPH) and I stayed up and finished 8th ( during the race I had attacked on the final climb and been caught by the group)

My longest ride to date is 80 miles, 4.5 hrs, 17.7 avg. speed and my average ride distance is around 55 miles.

Well my longest ride so far is 208km (129.2 miles) in 7hrs 5mins average of 29.x kph, mostly on the flat but not all, the last half, 140km onward, was quite lumpy. Only stopped for 10mins for some pizza and sorry guys (and gals) coke. I did this as a birthday present to myself, if your going to take a day off, do it in style. my 10 mile average (well my 17.5km local loop) was around 34kph in 2005, have a new MUCH better bike this year but the road has been closed due to a land slide, I would guess that the average is significantly up (7500km practise this year would do that you know).

Just keep banging in them miles.....

My longest ride so far is 150 km (a group ride), and I was put in the van after because somebody figured I was too tired. I also did a 130 km ride by myself and averaged 33 kph (out and back, windy), and although very weary afterwards managed to finish fairly strong. I do ride competitively and have managed a 3rd place in a TT. I can't say I particularly look forward to rides over 100 km.

-bikeguy

Cyclist14 said:
That's Great!

I'm glad that your enjoying this wonderful sport.

My first "long" ride was about 5 years ago when I was 11, I had a yellow huffy ( lol) and I rode about 10 miles in the park with my parents and pretty soon we started doing this every Saturday and about 1-2 days during the week.

I rode around casually on MTB's until I was 14 ( two years ago) and then I got into road riding. My first ever " serious" ride on the road was 12 miles, avg. speed 16.7, time 1 hr. 25 min.

I am now 16 ( almost 17) I have been racing for two years, I am on the verge of becoming a Cat. 3 and I will hopefully finish next season as a Cat. 2, I am also currently on a development team from which I will move to a pro team in a few years.

Oh, the fastest speed I have ever reached on the flats ( I am a sprinter/ time trialist, 6' 3 ,155 lbs.) was around 38 MPH, there was a crash right in front of me during that sprint and I was able to avoid it and while I was avoiding it my front wheel slid ( at 38 MPH) and I stayed up and finished 8th ( during the race I had attacked on the final climb and been caught by the group)

My longest ride to date is 80 miles, 4.5 hrs, 17.7 avg. speed and my average ride distance is around 55 miles.

My longest is the Newfound gap ride,not in distance but in pain. I know you can relate since you know that road.