My longest run yet!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by JJ, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. JJ

    JJ Guest

    Hey all,

    Well, I ran 5 miles today. A total of 5.5 miles with a bit of walking
    before and after, but my actual run was exactly 5 miles! (Bill, I ran for 1
    hr 11 minutes...so I got my hr in today! <grin>)

    I know this ain't much for some and probably darned slow as well, but I'm
    happy about it. Just a few weeks ago, the thought of doing 5 miles at a
    good steady pace (for me) seemed pretty far away. But it went by pretty
    easy I have to say.

    I didn't hit any "walls" till the 4 1/2 mile mark (into the run).
    Ugh...that was a killer for me. Started to get a stitch in my side...my
    knees were letting me know that they were there but nothing bad enough to
    stop or even slow down. I pushed through that and just before hitting 5
    miles, I started to feel better but that was my limit for the day.

    Just had to share! Hope everyone else is healthy and injury free! JJ

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:57:23 GMT, "JJ"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >Well, I ran 5 miles today. A total of 5.5 miles with a bit of walking
    >before and after, but my actual run was exactly 5 miles! (Bill, I ran for 1
    >hr 11 minutes...so I got my hr in today! <grin>)

    Very cool! There's nothing like that runners high you get from an
    hour.

    >I know this ain't much for some and probably darned slow as well, but I'm
    >happy about it. Just a few weeks ago, the thought of doing 5 miles at a
    >good steady pace (for me) seemed pretty far away. But it went by pretty
    >easy I have to say.

    Everybody has to start somewhere.

    >I didn't hit any "walls" till the 4 1/2 mile mark (into the run).

    If that's around the 40 minute mark, it happens to me too. I think a
    few people also noted that. It is strange because 4miles, or 40
    minutes is about where your legs get full blood flow, so your legs are
    just warming up at that point. That's incredible that it takes that
    long, but it does.

    >Ugh...that was a killer for me. Started to get a stitch in my side...my
    >knees were letting me know that they were there but nothing bad enough to
    >stop or even slow down. I pushed through that and just before hitting 5
    >miles, I started to feel better but that was my limit for the day.

    You'll learn to run through those minor pains.

    >Just had to share! Hope everyone else is healthy and injury free! JJ

    I enjoyed it.

    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  3. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "The Bill Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:57:23 GMT, "JJ"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Hey all,
    >>
    >>Well, I ran 5 miles today. A total of 5.5 miles with a bit of walking
    >>before and after, but my actual run was exactly 5 miles! (Bill, I ran for
    >>1
    >>hr 11 minutes...so I got my hr in today! <grin>)
    >>

    > Very cool! There's nothing like that runners high you get from an
    > hour.

    Well, I won't be up to doing that for every run yet...but I'll get there.

    (My OP is missing off my news reader. How odd...)

    >>I know this ain't much for some and probably darned slow as well, but I'm
    >>happy about it. Just a few weeks ago, the thought of doing 5 miles at a
    >>good steady pace (for me) seemed pretty far away. But it went by pretty
    >>easy I have to say.
    >>

    > Everybody has to start somewhere.

    Yup...and I'm making progress. I am surprised at how I've been able to do
    so well (for me) in such a short amt of time.

    >>I didn't hit any "walls" till the 4 1/2 mile mark (into the run).

    > If that's around the 40 minute mark, it happens to me too. I think a
    > few people also noted that. It is strange because 4miles, or 40
    > minutes is about where your legs get full blood flow, so your legs are
    > just warming up at that point. That's incredible that it takes that
    > long, but it does.

    Yeah...getting into that "fat burning" zone just takes too long - it ain't
    fair. <grin>

    >>Ugh...that was a killer for me. Started to get a stitch in my side...my
    >>knees were letting me know that they were there but nothing bad enough to
    >>stop or even slow down. I pushed through that and just before hitting 5
    >>miles, I started to feel better but that was my limit for the day.
    >>

    > You'll learn to run through those minor pains.

    Yup...So far today, the legs feel fine. Right shin is a tad tender...but
    I'll deal with it.

    >>Just had to share! Hope everyone else is healthy and injury free! JJ
    >>

    > I enjoyed it.

    Glad to hear it. Take care, JJ

  4. "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Well, I ran 5 miles today. A total of 5.5 miles with a bit of walking
    > before and after, but my actual run was exactly 5 miles! (Bill, I ran for
    > 1 hr 11 minutes...so I got my hr in today! <grin>)

    Congrats!!

    Instead of running, I've been spending my free daylight hours
    troubleshooting electrical problems with my sports car. Let me say that
    beating myself up on a workout would have been a lot less stressful...

    Dave

  5. Bad Rad Brad

    Bad Rad Brad Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:58:21 GMT, "JJ"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, I won't be up to doing that for every run yet...but I'll get there.

    One long run per week is plenty at the stage you're at.

    >Yup...and I'm making progress. I am surprised at how I've been able to do
    >so well (for me) in such a short amt of time.
    >
    >Yup...So far today, the legs feel fine. Right shin is a tad tender...but
    >I'll deal with it.

    You're not a runner yet, or you'd start a new thread entitled: Sore
    shin: what's wrong?" thread, to whine about it.

    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  6. Gee, you jogged 5 miles, only to end up where you started...........how
    productive.

  7. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    Have you experienced a "second wind" yet?
    Its a surge of energy you sometimes get after about
    a half hour of running. I used to get that the year or
    two of running.

  8. Brad

    Brad Guest

    On 8 Sep 2005 06:34:26 -0700, "rick++" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Have you experienced a "second wind" yet?
    >Its a surge of energy you sometimes get after about
    >a half hour of running. I used to get that the year or
    >two of running.

    I get that when I'm divebombed by snarling tweety birds.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  9. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "Miss Anne Thrope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Gee, you jogged 5 miles, only to end up where you started...........how
    > productive.

    Thanks! Yeah, it was great. I felt such a sense of accomplishment!
    Thanks! Take care, JJ

  10. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "Bad Rad Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > One long run per week is plenty at the stage you're at.

    Yup...that was my long one for this week. Thanks for the info!

    > You're not a runner yet, or you'd start a new thread entitled: Sore
    > shin: what's wrong?" thread, to whine about it.

    Tee hee...well...since you mention it. The right shin was a tad sore if I
    rubbed on it last night. But is fine today. ;-) JJ

  11. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "David Geesaman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Congrats!!

    Thanks!

    > Instead of running, I've been spending my free daylight hours
    > troubleshooting electrical problems with my sports car. Let me say that
    > beating myself up on a workout would have been a lot less stressful...

    Oh bummer. What kind of car? (If you wish to share that is.) That has to
    be frustrating I'm sure. Good luck! JJ

  12. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "rick++" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Have you experienced a "second wind" yet?
    > Its a surge of energy you sometimes get after about
    > a half hour of running. I used to get that the year or
    > two of running.

    Yeah I have...I've had a couple of runs where I just thought ugh...can't go
    anymore. But then suddenly, I was cruising along and feeling great. It's a
    great feeling. JJ

  13. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "Brad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 8 Sep 2005 06:34:26 -0700, "rick++" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Have you experienced a "second wind" yet?
    >>Its a surge of energy you sometimes get after about
    >>a half hour of running. I used to get that the year or
    >>two of running.

    > I get that when I'm divebombed by snarling tweety birds.
    > TBR

    Are you incognito? JJ

  14. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    >Are you incognito? JJ

    This poster uses over 30 aliases to write to
    this and other newsgroups. You have to
    look at the full usenet information.

  15. Jack

    Jack Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:38:03 GMT, "JJ"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The right shin was a tad sore if I
    >rubbed on it last night.

    There ya go then! You should of let me rub it, and it'd be all better.

    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  16. Jack

    Jack Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:38:50 GMT, "JJ"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh bummer. What kind of car?

    Like most runners, he drives a "76" AMC Pacer.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  17. Jack

    Jack Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:41:34 GMT, "JJ"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Are you incognito?

    Yes, but don't tell anyone.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  18. Tweeter

    Tweeter Guest

    On 8 Sep 2005 11:54:06 -0700, "rick++" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This poster uses over 30 aliases to write to
    >this and other newsgroups. You have to
    >look at the full usenet information.

    He's just mad because I'm still teasing him about the snarling tweety
    birds.
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  19. Tweeter

    Tweeter Guest

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:45:56 -0400, Jack <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 18:41:34 GMT, "JJ"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Are you incognito?

    And how did you know I wet myself?
    TBR

    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  20. "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:_y%[email protected]
    > "David Geesaman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> Congrats!!

    > Thanks!
    >
    >> Instead of running, I've been spending my free daylight hours
    >> troubleshooting electrical problems with my sports car. Let me say that
    >> beating myself up on a workout would have been a lot less stressful...

    > Oh bummer. What kind of car? (If you wish to share that is.) That has
    > to be frustrating I'm sure. Good luck! JJ

    1994 Mazda RX-7. I'd like to rip out the whole engine wiring harness
    and replace it, but I'm $700 short on funding that idea, and I'm not even
    certain that it's the problem. I guess I should have taken more Electrical
    Engineering classes in college.

    Dave