My Marathon is leaking



Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D T W .../\\...

Guest
. "Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I changed the valve on the left leg last week and the darn thing is still losing pressure. It has
> exhausted my patience. Grateful for any advice.
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html
>

Hey Per, Mine collapsed overnight a while ago. I had it in the work stand. Not sure what happened.

I pulled off the caps and decided to change the oil to 35/105cm. Air at
35/120lbs I'm 76K

It's holding air. No logical reason for that, but I'm not complaining.

From what I've read these are a constant problem for many riders.

I've got a stripped allen screw and right hand knob on order ;-(

Great when it works.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted
 
S

Stephen Baker

Guest
DTW says:

>I've got a stripped allen screw and right hand knob on order ;-(
>

You have more than one knob?!?

<sorry - had to get there before Shaun R gets back to work....>

Steve
 
T

Technician

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> DTW says:
>
> >I've got a stripped allen screw and right hand knob on order ;-(
> >
>
> You have more than one knob?!?
>
> <sorry - had to get there before Shaun R gets back to work....>
>
> Steve
>

And you didn't mention anything about some guy named allen being stripped, and... doing things? ;-)
or were you leaving that one for Shaun?
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Travis says:
>
> >or were you leaving that one for Shaun?
>
> Ya have to leave him something, or he whines....
>
> ;-P

It's the other way around - I take my fill of the meat, and leave you low life scum to feed on the
*crumbs I leave or throw to you.

Shaun aRe


*(just like that one in the sentence up there).
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun R says:
>
> >It's the other way around - I take my fill of the meat, and leave you low life scum to feed on
> >the *crumbs I leave or throw to you.
>
> BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHA !!
>
> (to coin a phrase....)

So, you didn't scroll down and see where I wrote:

" *(just like that one in the sentence up there). "

Heheheh - methinks that ' BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !! ' thing is on you, ya daft sod, heheheheh.......

> ;-P
>
> Steve

Shaun aRe - Gave me a right chuckle you did there, heheheh.......
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun R says:
>
> >So, you didn't scroll down and see where I wrote:
>
> No - I didn't ya daft sod. ;-)

Heheheheh - sorry to set you up like thet Steve, but it had to be done, heheheheh.........

> >Heheheh - methinks that ' BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !! ' thing is on you, ya
daft
> >sod, heheheheh.......
>
> Probably - that'sa how it usually works.....

Nahhhh, I was just lucky that's all.........bwaaaaahahahahahah! ',;~}~

> >Shaun aRe - Gave me a right chuckle you did there, heheheh.......
>
> That is what I live for.

> NOT! ;-P

Pity - you're quite reasonably good at it.....heh.....

Shaun aRe - >',;~}~
 
P

Per LöWdin

Guest
> Mine collapsed overnight a while ago. I had it in the work stand. Not sure what happened.
>
> I pulled off the caps and decided to change the oil to 35/105cm. Air at
> 35/120lbs I'm 76K

How does that spell out 35 mm of oil in the 105mm version (mine is 100)?

> It's holding air. No logical reason for that, but I'm not complaining.

Are you saying that you changed oil and after that it holds air?

> From what I've read these are a constant problem for many riders.

Yes, mine has to be pumped once every hour or so.

> Great when it works.

Yes, when it does, but I am getting exhausted with mine. Wonder if a Forx would be better or even a
coil sprung fork?

Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html
 
D

D T W .../\\...

Guest
"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Mine collapsed overnight a while ago. I had it in the work stand. Not sure what happened.
> >
> > I pulled off the caps and decided to change the oil to 35/105cm. Air at
> > 35/120lbs I'm 76K
>
> How does that spell out 35 mm of oil in the 105mm version (mine is 100)?
>
> > It's holding air. No logical reason for that, but I'm not complaining.
>
> Are you saying that you changed oil and after that it holds air?
>
> > From what I've read these are a constant problem for many riders.
>
> Yes, mine has to be pumped once every hour or so.
>
> > Great when it works.
>
> Yes, when it does, but I am getting exhausted with mine. Wonder if a Forx would be better or even
> a coil sprung fork?
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

Yes. it held air after the oil change - strange thing.

And I found this somewhere and followed some of the advice for the 100mm fork:

First impressions were that it was stictiony, ramped up very quickly at the bottom of the stroke,
and the damping settings were either too fast or too slow. After reading a few reviews, I contacted
tech support and found that they recommend running the negative chamber at 3X the positive. This
really reduced the stiction, and as time has gone by it has gotten really smooth. The tech made no
mention of oil levels. I rode it 5 or 6 more rides, feeling all along that I was short on travel
(should be 100mm). So I called tech support again and asked for the full skinny on the fork. His
first question was how much oil I was running, which was 115 and 30cc (per the manual). He said I
need to drop it down to 87cc and 35cc, that that would make a huge difference. It did, with the fork
feeling very smooth and progressive, damping just right. This also made a big difference in required
air pressure, I bumped up to 30psi pos, 100psi neg. However, on a ride this weekend in Farmington,
NM while hitting high speed dips the fork bottomed out really hard twice with a loud bang. So I
raised the pressure to 32 psi, which made it quite a lot harsher, but it didn't bottom. I called
tech again, asking if I could add oil to make it ramp up more on the bottom of the stroke to avoid
bottoming. He said very little, max of 5cc extra, as more than that would make the fork hydraulic
out (now I know why my travel was so short in the beginning!) I am going to try adding 3cc of oil
per side, and play with the negative pressure to see just how fine I can tune this thing. The fork
is starting to get close to what I want, with much tweaking. Anybody wanting to run this fork needs
to do their homework as far as pressures and oil levels and weights, those are your only tuning
options and small increments seem to make large changes in the performance characteristics. Overall,
I am very pleased but feel that Marzocchi needs to get their act together as far as the manual, and
tech support needs to immediately advise people that the oil levels are so critical.

And If mine dies I've got my eye on a Fox product. Not sure which. Coils certainly seem more
reliable at this point.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing. The rest I've just wasted.
 
T

Tsheer

Guest
"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > Mine collapsed overnight a while ago. I had it in the work stand. Not sure what happened.
> >
> > I pulled off the caps and decided to change the oil to 35/105cm. Air at
> > 35/120lbs I'm 76K
>
> How does that spell out 35 mm of oil in the 105mm version (mine is 100)?
>
> > It's holding air. No logical reason for that, but I'm not complaining.
>
> Are you saying that you changed oil and after that it holds air?
>
> > From what I've read these are a constant problem for many riders.
>
> Yes, mine has to be pumped once every hour or so.
>
> > Great when it works.
>
> Yes, when it does, but I am getting exhausted with mine. Wonder if a Forx would be better or even
> a coil sprung fork?
>
> Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html
>
I had two Marathons fail on me in 3 months (negative air chamber wouldn't hold air, and oil came out
the valve). I gave up and got a Fox Float RLC and I'm very happy with it.

Marzocchi needs to change the name from "Marathon" to "400 meter dash"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads