My mate got knocked off his bike...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Zardoz, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Zardoz

    Zardoz Guest

    Just been to see Bob in hospital, and he's quite cheerful despite having just undergone a bone graft
    (or something like that) because his knee joint is badly smashed up.

    Bob's always cheerful. He told the woman who ran him over to calm down and managed to scab a
    cigarette off her as he lay on the tarmac beneath her 4x4. (Good job the 4x4 didn't have bull bars).

    But he's a slob. His last bike got removed by the council after being locked up for 11 months in the
    high street. Was he wearing a helmet? Was he buggery, he only got on the bike to go down to Tesco to
    get fags. And he cycled across the dual carriageway roundabout near Tesco
    - I'd NEVER do that - seeing as there's a cycle and foot bridge yards down the road.

    Anyway, he reckons he's up for compensation and two or three months worth of convalescence in his
    living room. No change of behaviour there then...

    Z.

    Tags:

  2. Sabineuk

    Sabineuk Guest

    Zardoz said:

    >Just been to see Bob in hospital, and he's quite cheerful despite having just undergone a bone
    >graft (or something like that) because his knee joint is badly smashed up. [snip] Was he wearing a
    >helmet? Was he buggery,

    What, no helmet?

    Lynch him! (Or at the very least, cut his goolies off.)

    I mean, that helmet would have made all the difference between him needing a bone graft in his knee
    and, er, needing a bone graft in his knee.

    John

  3. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:37:52 +0100 someone who may be Zardoz <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >his knee joint is badly smashed up. [snip]

    >Was he wearing a helmet?

    Nice try.

    A helmet that prevents knee injuries. Quite fascinating.

  4. In message <[email protected]>, SabineUK <[email protected]> writes
    >Zardoz said:
    >
    >>Just been to see Bob in hospital, and he's quite cheerful despite having just undergone a bone
    >>graft (or something like that) because his knee joint is badly smashed up. [snip] Was he wearing a
    >>helmet? Was he buggery,
    >
    >What, no helmet?
    >
    >Lynch him! (Or at the very least, cut his goolies off.)
    >
    >I mean, that helmet would have made all the difference between him needing a bone graft in his knee
    >and, er, needing a bone graft in his knee.
    >
    >John

    Slight case of lack of irony appreciation?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  5. In message <bv3ravcqoakfh88v0rc6lkflt[email protected]>, David Hansen
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:37:52 +0100 someone who may be Zardoz <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >
    >>his knee joint is badly smashed up. [snip]
    >
    >>Was he wearing a helmet?
    >
    >Nice try.
    >
    >A helmet that prevents knee injuries. Quite fascinating.

    Slight case of lack of irony appreciation?
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  6. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  7. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:37:52 +0100 someone who may be Zardoz <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >
    > >his knee joint is badly smashed up. [snip]
    >
    > >Was he wearing a helmet?
    >
    > Nice try.
    >
    > A helmet that prevents knee injuries. Quite fascinating.

    Bet that was one of the questions he was asked when he got to Casualty though :(

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:12:01 +0000 (UTC), Alex Graham <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Slight case of deja vu? :)

    All over again...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

  10. David Hansen <[email protected]> writes:

    >On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:37:52 +0100 someone who may be Zardoz <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >>his knee joint is badly smashed up. [snip]

    >>Was he wearing a helmet?

    >Nice try.

    >A helmet that prevents knee injuries. Quite fascinating.

    Isn't there a well known cycle helmet study which found wearing a helmet decreased injuries in
    general, not just head injuries?
    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 650 3085 School of Artificial Intelligence, Division of
    Informatics Edinburgh University, 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK

  11. > >>Was he wearing a helmet?

    > >Nice try.
    > >
    > >A helmet that prevents knee injuries. Quite fascinating.
    > >

    > Slight case of lack of irony appreciation?
    > --
    Didn't that Thompson, Thompson and Riviera study (?sp) - the one that showed an 85% reduction in
    head injuries, and which always gets quoted, also show a 75% reduction in knee injuries?

    Jeremy Parker

  12. Jeremy Parker <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >Nice try.
    >> >
    >> >A helmet that prevents knee injuries. Quite fascinating.
    >> >

    >> Slight case of lack of irony appreciation?
    >> --
    > Didn't that Thompson, Thompson and Riviera study (?sp) - the one that showed an 85% reduction in
    > head injuries, and which always gets quoted, also show a 75% reduction in knee injuries?

    'S Obvious, isn't it, any self-respecting helmet wearer ensures they land on their bonce, because
    that's the best protected part!

    Trev

  13. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:04:24 +0000 someone who may be Jeremy Parker <[email protected]>
    wrote this:-

    >Didn't that Thompson, Thompson and Riviera study (?sp) - the one that showed an 85% reduction in
    >head injuries, and which always gets quoted, also show a 75% reduction in knee injuries?

    My recollection is that one can apply their "method" to other data and "prove" that helmets are
    excellent at reducing knee injuries. Given the fallacy of such a claim one can only conclude they
    their "method" is mince, which it is.

  14. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Nice try.
    >
    > >A helmet that prevents knee injuries. Quite fascinating.
    >
    > Isn't there a well known cycle helmet study which found wearing a helmet decreased injuries in
    > general, not just head injuries?

    Of course it would, where are injuires measured? Hospitals.

    Go to hospital with a head injury and they record all the other injuries, bruises ,scrapes etc

    Wear a helmet and not get a head injury , no hospital, no reports , therefore helmets reduce
    bruises, scrapes etc numbers.

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/