My mom's Gal Bladder Surgery?

Arthi

Guest
Hi
My mom is going to have her Gall Bladder removed in May. She is having
this procedure done because she has Gall Stones. This was discovered
by her surgeon who performed a hysterectomy on her two years ago. She
is now going into surgery for the removal of her gall bladder. She is
very scared and I am wondering is there any side effects. I know it is
a simple laposcopic surgery but we were both concerned about the
effects of the surgery. We know and heard of people still not feeling
so great even after the surgery. We also heard that it was great for
other people and they do better after the surgery. I was wondering if
anyone out there has went through the procedure or knows of anyone who
went the surgery and their results. I appreicate your thoughts and
ideas of this matter. I look forward from everyone's response.

Thanks,
Arthi

"Arthi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
> My mom is going to have her Gall Bladder removed in May. She is having
> this procedure done because she has Gall Stones. This was discovered
> by her surgeon who performed a hysterectomy on her two years ago. She
> is now going into surgery for the removal of her gall bladder. She is
> very scared and I am wondering is there any side effects. I know it is
> a simple laposcopic surgery but we were both concerned about the
> effects of the surgery. We know and heard of people still not feeling
> so great even after the surgery. We also heard that it was great for
> other people and they do better after the surgery. I was wondering if
> anyone out there has went through the procedure or knows of anyone who
> went the surgery and their results. I appreicate your thoughts and
> ideas of this matter. I look forward from everyone's response.
>
> Thanks,
> Arthi

If she has no symptoms clearly attributed to her gallbladder, and by that I
mean episodic pain or attacks of cholecystitis or cholangitis or
pancreatitis, then you should find out precisely why the operation is being
advised. Not everyone with gallstones needs surgery.

There are risks and potential side effects to even the most minor surgery
and I am sure your mother will be given a list of these at some stage. It
is always a weighing up of the need for symptomatic relief and the
prevention of possible future complications against risk that determines the
need for an operation.

The laparoscopic procedure carries at least as much risk as the old open
operation, but is very much easier to get over.

Peter Moran (Surgeon)