My mom's Gal Bladder Surgery?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Arthi, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. Arthi

    Arthi Guest

    Hi
    My mom is going to have her Gall Bladder removed in May. She is having
    this procedure done because she has Gall Stones. This was discovered
    by her surgeon who performed a hysterectomy on her two years ago. She
    is now going into surgery for the removal of her gall bladder. She is
    very scared and I am wondering is there any side effects. I know it is
    a simple laposcopic surgery but we were both concerned about the
    effects of the surgery. We know and heard of people still not feeling
    so great even after the surgery. We also heard that it was great for
    other people and they do better after the surgery. I was wondering if
    anyone out there has went through the procedure or knows of anyone who
    went the surgery and their results. I appreicate your thoughts and
    ideas of this matter. I look forward from everyone's response.

    Thanks,
    Arthi

    Tags:

  2. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    "Arthi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi
    > My mom is going to have her Gall Bladder removed in May. She is having
    > this procedure done because she has Gall Stones. This was discovered
    > by her surgeon who performed a hysterectomy on her two years ago. She
    > is now going into surgery for the removal of her gall bladder. She is
    > very scared and I am wondering is there any side effects. I know it is
    > a simple laposcopic surgery but we were both concerned about the
    > effects of the surgery. We know and heard of people still not feeling
    > so great even after the surgery. We also heard that it was great for
    > other people and they do better after the surgery. I was wondering if
    > anyone out there has went through the procedure or knows of anyone who
    > went the surgery and their results. I appreicate your thoughts and
    > ideas of this matter. I look forward from everyone's response.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Arthi

    If she has no symptoms clearly attributed to her gallbladder, and by that I
    mean episodic pain or attacks of cholecystitis or cholangitis or
    pancreatitis, then you should find out precisely why the operation is being
    advised. Not everyone with gallstones needs surgery.

    There are risks and potential side effects to even the most minor surgery
    and I am sure your mother will be given a list of these at some stage. It
    is always a weighing up of the need for symptomatic relief and the
    prevention of possible future complications against risk that determines the
    need for an operation.

    The laparoscopic procedure carries at least as much risk as the old open
    operation, but is very much easier to get over.

    Peter Moran (Surgeon)