My mountain bike is too big. Need advice..

ginta9999

Aug 1, 2004
Hello. I am new to the sport of mountain biking:cool: I just bought a new bike. The frame size is 19'' and I am 5'10'' (Specialized 2005 Rockhopper). There is only about an inch or so of clearance between the frame and my crotch. I would like to have your input as to:

- Is the bike too big for heavy riding?
- If so, why?
- I've only ridden in the trail twice. Can I take the bike back to the store and get a smaller size bike? What are my options??:(

Thank you for your feedback!

Ginta9999

ginta9999 said:
Hello. I am new to the sport of mountain biking:cool: I just bought a new bike. The frame size is 19'' and I am 5'10'' (Specialized 2005 Rockhopper). There is only about an inch or so of clearance between the frame and my crotch. I would like to have your input as to:

- Is the bike too big for heavy riding?
- If so, why?
- I've only ridden in the trail twice. Can I take the bike back to the store and get a smaller size bike? What are my options??:(

Thank you for your feedback!

Ginta9999

Ummm... I ride a 18'' frame and I'm almost 5' 10.5'', I have way more than an inch of space between the frame and the 'boys'. I don't think that one inch makes that much of a difference IMO.

I don't think it's too big for hard riding. Mountain bikes are made for hard riding.

Um, as for returning it.. Did they size you? You'll have to call them and ask about their return policy. But if you had some punk kid size you, then you could probably call them out on that and get a different one....

GOOD LUCK