MY mountain bike was in worse shape than I thought

cydewaze

Jun 17, 2004
My primary mountain bike is a Trek 9700 I've had since early '99. It's basically Trek's carbon MTN frame with a bunch of junk parts hung off it. I think this was Trek's way to make an "affordable" version of their carbon framed mtn bike.

Anyway, I picked it up (new) for something like $900, figuring that I'd slowly replace stuff as it broke. Well, it seems I haven't been replacing fast enough. Last night I replaced the crank/BB with a RaceFace X-type crank/BB combo. Of course I needed a new tool to install the new BB, because god forbid they design it to use a tool that already exists. Then it was a total pain because the drive-side half kept wanting to cross-thread.

My old BB was so bad that it rattled when you shook it. Also, upon removing my pedals (Shimano SPD, circa 1995) I discovered that they're dead too - the axle in each pedal flops around like it's missing a bearing. So now I'm adding pedals to my list of what to replace.

Sheesh, I should've just bought a whole new bike. :rolleyes:

matt_aus

Feb 3, 2005
I know the feeling. I went through this experience recently. I had a '98 raceline expert and over the last few years have replaced everything from cranks, bb, rims, chains, rear clusters etc, but late last year was faced with a new front rim, new front derailuer, another chain and a set of forks. I bit the bullet and bought a new bike, and thank god I did! Far less headache as it runs so smooth.

cydewaze

Jun 17, 2004
Tell me about it. I'm still waiting for UPS to deliver my new front fork, and last night I just got a new catalog in the mail with the same fork for $50 less, plus a free headset included. :(

On the bright side, I've managed to rescue my bent-to-hell-and-back rear derailleur, so that's one less thing that I have to buy.