My must haves; What are your suggestions?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Swinney101, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Swinney101

Swinney101 New Member

So I picked up my first roadbike today after riding a MTB last year. Its a 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, beautiful barely ridden gem. So I know I am gonna pick up Skull Candy 3's and not totally sure on the shoe just yet. I also plan on picking up a Kurt trainer with front wheel block, Gator Skin tires and I plan to commute everyday on this bike. Emergency kit, Gloves, Riding shorts..not sure what I am missing to get started....

Tags:

2. David Gerchman

David Gerchman New Member

well, a helmet would be a sound investment.

Swinney101 likes this.
  3. Swinney101

Swinney101 New Member

You bring up a great point, I have a walmart special. What makes the road bike helmets so special, I never go unprotected...I am just ignorant on this issue.

4. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Well, according to the Velominati, rule #35, No visors on the road.
    Road helmets can be worn on mountain bikes, but never the other way around.

Also, you may be missing a chance to color coordinate your outfit to your bike, bling value etc etc

The big thing IMO is that a "proper" helmet might offer better ventilation. Bigger price tag gives more room for elaborate moldings, maybe a better fit system.

Apart from that, it's pretty much guesswork.
    Helmets aren't really ranked or rated, only tested to provide a certain level of damage reduction/impact reduction or whatever you'll call it. All and any helmets to reach that level are OK to sell as approved to that standard. There are no extra points for providing more than what's asked for.
    And if you get better protection from a chunkier but cruder inexpensive helmet, or from a slicker more engineered one is an open question. It'd probably be down to things like how the helmet fit your head, and exactly how the impact is aligned.

5. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

"What makes the road bike helmets so special..."

Not a damned thing.

Your Wallyworld $20 special offers the same (or in many cases better) crash protection that the 250 gram/$250 pro helmets. Ventilation 'may' be a bit less than a pro-level helmet. Weight may be a few ounce heavier, but the big picture is that helmets are just molded ice cooler insulation with a bonded-on or in-mold thin outer shell of plastic.

Like dabac said, you can go for more styling, a slightly improved retention system, match up the color and...oh yeah...grab some street cred.

What is important is that YOU are happy with your lid.

For commuting, you might want to pick up a small LED seatpost tail light or bag-mounted tail light, depending on your commute time and season. A headlight?

Commuting might take you thru wet, grit-covered roads. If so, you will be cleaning your chain more and trying to prevent wear to your chain rings and cassette gears. I recommend a chain cleaning tool (Park, Pedro's, etc.) and keeping the oil bottle handy. A cheap set of cleaning brushes will also come in handy for keeping your new bike looking good and running at its best.

6. Volnix

Volnix Well-Known Member

Here is a website which analyses helmets, it has reviews of models too:

Bicycle helmet safety institute:
    http://www.bhsi.org/

I was reading on this website about the safety standards of helmets. Apparently there are a few. In the US helmets are required to have a CSPC safety certification and in Europe a EN safety certification. There is another standard, the SNELL.

If I remember correctly the most strict standard is the SNELL, followed by CSPC and then EN. Thats why when I was browsing for helmets I got a Bell one since it was CSPC certified.

Road helmets usually dont have visors. Some helmets have a removable visor. More expensive helmets seem to have more ventilation but also a "better" fitting system. Some helmets are available as "one size" whilst others have sizes.

I dont like helmets very much, but they are an essential accessory for the serious cyclist. As long as you use them correctly. Even if you buy the most safe helmet it still doesnt provide good protection if its loose or if it is covered with a cloth that might cause friction with the road which may cause further injuries in the event of a crash.

The construction sequence plays some role too. The "in mold" ones, are helmets that the foam is "molded" directly on the outer shell (not sure why this is so good, maybe better adhesion with the shell?) whilst some "cheaper" ones have the foam glued on the shell.

The above website has some very good info and reviews on helmets. Basically one of the most important features is the fit. You can get a very good inexpensive helmet from Bell. They have some helmets with some very bad names (not sure why they do that, maybe to emphasize that helmets look bad... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif) at some very low prices with the same protection level as the more expensive ones, constructed with in-mold procedure but maybe with a more "basic" fitting mechanism and less-smaller vents. I never had a problem with venting on a helmet. Its the fit that its the most annoying part but you forget about them once you have them on for 10 min.

You might also want to try to score a "fresh one" as they say that the materials involved get "polymerized" or something, meaning that they deteriorate over time. Bell says that you should use a helmet for 3-5 years after purchase and sun and other factors gradually weaken the helmet.

and finally, some propaganda: /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Helmets, jello, helmets helmets,

buy a helmet and wear it, buy a helmet and wear it, buy a helmet and wear it, buy a helmet and wear it, buy a helmet and wear it, buy a helmet and wear it

Helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome

Jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet.

Accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident

Helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome. helmets are cool, helmets are awesome

Jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet. jello jar, helmet.

Accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident, accident

Look at this thing, you can barely notice you have one on!: /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

[​IMG]

and they look sooooooo cool! Your friends will be jealous!: /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You are, going to buy a helmet right? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif Hope you dont worry that "the law" doesnt require you to wear one...

[​IMG]

One great thing about helmets though, despite the accident thing, (if you crash you are pretty much %@%^%# anyway) is that honking from cars and people mumbling is reduced by alot percent... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif They seem to think that you are one of those... "serious" cyclists... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif