My 'new' beater bike

Pat

Guest
x-no-archive:yes

I just picked up a Raleigh M40 pretend-mountain bike to use as a beater bike. Its serial number is
R93075178, so I suspect it was made in 1993. If anybody knows better, please let me know. It has
Suntour twist shifters. Anybody have any experience with this particular make and model? It's got an
18" frame, so it's kind of small for me, but maybe I can make it work.

Pat in TX

I'm not sure what you need to know, but it should work great as a beater. I had one for a year
before it got stolen, and it always rode smoothly. Didn't use it for mountain biking though, just on
sidewalks, street riding, on the grass, and over curbs.

Francis

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive:yes
>

> I just picked up a Raleigh M40 pretend-mountain bike to use as a beater bike. Its serial number is
> R93075178, so I suspect it was made in 1993.
If
> anybody knows better, please let me know. It has Suntour twist shifters. Anybody have any
> experience with this particular make and model? It's got an 18" frame, so it's kind of small for
> me, but maybe I can make it work.
>
> Pat in TX

x-no-archive:yes

"Francis D. Johnson" > I'm not sure what you need to know, but it should work great as a beater. I
> had one for a year before it got stolen, and it always rode smoothly. Didn't use it for mountain
> biking though, just on sidewalks, street
riding,
> on the grass, and over curbs.
>
> Francis

I'm having some problems with the shifting. Those black-painted chainrings don't inspire a lot of
confidence. It's my first experience with grip-shifting "shorties" so I don't know if they are
difficult to adjust. But, it is not shifting correctly each time. I am hoping they're not just worn
out. I thought maybe someone would tell me this type was difficult to adjust or wouldn't hold an
adjustment. Did you think the handlebars were too short, or is that just me? I guess that's why
it's a beater! (my choice was between this Raleigh or a Schwinn Sierra which weighed twice as
much!) Pat in TX