My 'new' beater bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pat, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    I just picked up a Raleigh M40 pretend-mountain bike to use as a beater bike. Its serial number is
    R93075178, so I suspect it was made in 1993. If anybody knows better, please let me know. It has
    Suntour twist shifters. Anybody have any experience with this particular make and model? It's got an
    18" frame, so it's kind of small for me, but maybe I can make it work.

    Pat in TX

    Tags:

  2. I'm not sure what you need to know, but it should work great as a beater. I had one for a year
    before it got stolen, and it always rode smoothly. Didn't use it for mountain biking though, just on
    sidewalks, street riding, on the grass, and over curbs.

    Francis

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive:yes
    >

    > I just picked up a Raleigh M40 pretend-mountain bike to use as a beater bike. Its serial number is
    > R93075178, so I suspect it was made in 1993.
    If
    > anybody knows better, please let me know. It has Suntour twist shifters. Anybody have any
    > experience with this particular make and model? It's got an 18" frame, so it's kind of small for
    > me, but maybe I can make it work.
    >
    > Pat in TX

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    "Francis D. Johnson" > I'm not sure what you need to know, but it should work great as a beater. I
    > had one for a year before it got stolen, and it always rode smoothly. Didn't use it for mountain
    > biking though, just on sidewalks, street
    riding,
    > on the grass, and over curbs.
    >
    > Francis

    I'm having some problems with the shifting. Those black-painted chainrings don't inspire a lot of
    confidence. It's my first experience with grip-shifting "shorties" so I don't know if they are
    difficult to adjust. But, it is not shifting correctly each time. I am hoping they're not just worn
    out. I thought maybe someone would tell me this type was difficult to adjust or wouldn't hold an
    adjustment. Did you think the handlebars were too short, or is that just me? I guess that's why
    it's a beater! (my choice was between this Raleigh or a Schwinn Sierra which weighed twice as
    much!) Pat in TX