My New Bike - Beginer advice required

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ac11e, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ac11e

ac11e New Member

Hi All,

Firstly I am new to these forums so apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

I have recently bought a new bike, ditched my old mountain bike for a Specialized Tricross. I wanted something a bit robust, so that I could commute to work on and do some social miles outside of work time.

My main sticking point is what pedals to put on the bike. Currently I have toe clips, but I am thinking that I should go to clip less. Please can someone give me advice on this. Is it easy to fit etc? What shoes should I be looking for?

Finally, I want a bike computer (wireless), does anyone have any recommendations?

Any tips for a first time road biker?

Regards,

Andy

Tags:

2. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Opinions vary on the pedals but you need to try the shoes on before you buy since fit will be a big issue.I personally use Shimano pedals but some people like MTB shoes and pedals even on a road bike because road shoes are not good for walking.
    Go to a good bike shop, pick out some shoes and ask them about peadals, cleats and float.
    Float is the lateral movenment that the pedals and cleats allow.
    There are already several thread on this subject so if you do a search you can find some good info.

3. GV2013

GV2013 New Member

Getting clipless pedals was the best decision I ever made bike wise. I picked up some shimano m520 spd style pedals for about $55, and I believe the next model up is somewhere around $100. The shoes I got were some pretty bottom of the specialized for about $90. They are mtb shoes but I started with them on my road bike. They are fairly easy to walk in as well since the cleat itself is recessed within the tread.