My New Bike! - Enjoy

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
I've always dreamed of owning a nice bike of my own. My very first bike was this crappy thing called a Huffy Tectra. Of course, I was so proud of this hunk of junk that I didn't care....it had an awesome paint job and it was a smooth ride. My first serious bike was a hand-me down KHS with Shimano 105 group. It was a terrible ride...my brother was so much taller than I and needless to say, I had a rough time riding this bike. Eventually, I wound up getting a closeout Quattro Assi Attack. I enjoyed riding it for many years, but eventually decided to get my dream machine. Well, here are the results of about a year of scraping and saving:

_RAR0203.jpg

*2007 Orbea Mitis
*Zeus FCM Full Carbon Fork
*Campy 9 Spd Chorus Drivetrain
*Campy Chorus 9 Spd Shifter/Brake Levers
*Campy Chorus Carbon Crank
*Easton EC70 Carbon Seatpost
*Fi'zi:k Arione Carbon Saddle
*Ritchey BioMax Pro Handlebar
*Origin 8 Pro-Fit Stem
*Speedplay X-3 Pedals
*2007 Rolf Prima Aspin Wheels
*Michelin Krylion Carbon Tires

_RAR0202.jpg

_RAR0207.jpg

That bike is a beauty. Looks like you will have many fast rides ahead! How about those Huffys, I know I can relate to that. For years I cycled for fun, and commuting and even because I was forced to for a shot time due to a OUI charge. I never paid more than a 100 bucks for a bike and many were free but now I too have a dream bike.

congrats and enjoy! :D

Thanks! And what is your dream bike, if I might ask?
:D
gemship said:
That bike is a beauty. Looks like you will have many fast rides ahead! How about those Huffys, I know I can relate to that. For years I cycled for fun, and commuting and even because I was forced to for a shot time due to a OUI charge. I never paid more than a 100 bucks for a bike and many were free but now I too have a dream bike.

congrats and enjoy! :D

Nice scooter, and a very nice build, although I'm not too hip on the Rolfs. Ride the snot out of it and enjoy.

Thanks.....yeah, the Rolfs were a gift and they are better than my Velocity Uriels. I would like to get some nice Spinergy Stealths one of these days, but in the meantime, these Rolfs are not terrible...they're good climbers and fairly light... 1480 grams I think.:cool:
alienator said:
Nice scooter, and a very nice build, although I'm not too hip on the Rolfs. Ride the snot out of it and enjoy.

lohsnest said:
Thanks! And what is your dream bike, if I might ask?
:D

A cervelo r3sl but I would of taken anything that light. My first plastic, oops carbon fiber bike. :p

Very nice bike. Good selection of parts to get a nice performance racing bike with limited costs... consider a wheel upgrade when you get a chance... maybe a set of Neutrons? :D

Thanks, I am working on that. I love Campagnolo's high end line of wheelsets and eventually hope to own one. In the meatime, I still can't figure out why Rolf is not a particularly popular brand on this forum. Reviews that I have read all seem to be mostly positive :confused:.

Powerful Pete said:
Very nice bike. Good selection of parts to get a nice performance racing bike with limited costs... consider a wheel upgrade when you get a chance... maybe a set of Neutrons? :D

I thought about carbon. Of course, we're talking much more than I was ready to spend on a frame. Besides, I am still very wary about carbon coming apart or just too much flex. Even with the components that I currently have, I am constantly watching for cracks, splits, etc. :)
gemship said:
A cervelo r3sl but I would of taken anything that light. My first plastic, oops carbon fiber bike. :p

lohsnest said:
Thanks, I am working on that. I love Campagnolo's high end line of wheelsets and eventually hope to own one. In the meatime, I still can't figure out why Rolf is not a particularly popular brand on this forum. Reviews that I have read all seem to be mostly positive :confused:.
Could not tell you anything about Rolf wheels. Never seen a set, but maybe they are not for sale on this side of the pond. :confused:

Well, they are a very small brand from Oregon. I think the problem was that Rolf had a relationship with Trek Bicycles at one point and for whatever reason, they parted ways. Trek only provides service to the older Rolf brand of wheels wheras all new wheels are Rolf Prima. I am quite sure that Rolf Prima is not big enough of a brand to be seen all over the world, unlike Campagnolo, Shimano, Mavic.

Powerful Pete said:
Could not tell you anything about Rolf wheels. Never seen a set, but maybe they are not for sale on this side of the pond. :confused:

How do you like those Biomax handlebars? Were they a choice of yours, or did they come with the bike?

Camilo said:
How do you like those Biomax handlebars? Were they a choice of yours, or did they come with the bike?

I have a set on my 'cross bike and I love them. I'm very tempted to pick up a set for my road bike. The drops fit my hands and they are very stiff. Noticeably more so than my WCS.

ok, I know the question wasn't for me, but I couldn't resist. :cool:

I wanted the firm feel of aluminum in my grasps. I guess carbon handlebars felt a little too soft and flexy for me. I like the fact that these bars are firm.
PeterF said:
I have a set on my 'cross bike and I love them. I'm very tempted to pick up a set for my road bike. The drops fit my hands and they are very stiff. Noticeably more so than my WCS.

ok, I know the question wasn't for me, but I couldn't resist. :cool:

They were my choice. You can get almost everyting in carbon these days. I have nothing against carbon parts, but the one thing I didn't really care for was the way carbon bars felt. I felt the carbon bars I tried out were almost too flexy for me. On the handlebar issue, I was more comfortable with the rigidity of aluminum....call me crazy:p
Camilo said:

lohsnest said:
They were my choice. You can get almost everyting in carbon these days. I have nothing against carbon parts, but the one thing I didn't really care for was the way carbon bars felt. I felt the carbon bars I tried out were almost too flexy for me. On the handlebar issue, I was more comfortable with the rigidity of aluminum....call me crazy:p
I was more interested in how that shape worked out for you. You're preaching to the choir about the material (I like aluminum too). So far, I like a classic curve bar in about the same reach and drop as those Biomax, but I haven't tried any with that large ergo bump in the drops. I tried some less radical ergo bars and they never really fit me that well, but really nothing like the Biomax. How do your hands rest when you're in the drops, in a position to work the levers/shifters? Are they resting in the curve above the bumps?

It is a perfict fit for my particular hand size. The design of the bars gives me perfect access to everything in my cockpit...thumb shifters, brake levers, and shift levers. It's actually a very comfortable feel, and yes, they rest actually in the curve above the bumps.
Camilo said:
I was more interested in how that shape worked out for you. You're preaching to the choir about the material (I like aluminum too). So far, I like a classic curve bar in about the same reach and drop as those Biomax, but I haven't tried any with that large ergo bump in the drops. I tried some less radical ergo bars and they never really fit me that well, but really nothing like the Biomax. How do your hands rest when you're in the drops, in a position to work the levers/shifters? Are they resting in the curve above the bumps?

Sweet looking ride. I love the colors. You cannot go wrong with Campy parts either. Well done!

I currently have a pair of Zonda wheels on my bike and love them. I lucked into a pair of Eurus at a good price and currently waiting for them to arrive. I'll let you know how I like them and how they differ.

Well, I have always like Campagnolo wheels. Not necessarily a big fan of the look of the G3 spoking pattern, but then again, they've proven themselves to be effective. When choosing my set of wheels, I was very careful. I have had Mavics and they are decent, albeit a bit overrated. I had looked at Rolf Primas but never knew if I could trust something with such high tension and low spoke count. Eventually, I wound up getting them as a gift. I personally have not had any problems with my Rolf Primas (yet). I have read good and bad reviews and believe me, even my local bike store owner has occasional problems with his wheels (Rolf Prima Elan), but then again, who can say that they've never had a problem with their wheels at one point or other. He continues to ride his Rolf Prima Elans. His only problem is that Rolf Primas are only waranteed for a year.

Well, thanks for the compliment! Cheers!

RL:)

rplace13 said:
Sweet looking ride. I love the colors. You cannot go wrong with Campy parts either. Well done!

I currently have a pair of Zonda wheels on my bike and love them. I lucked into a pair of Eurus at a good price and currently waiting for them to arrive. I'll let you know how I like them and how they differ.