My New Bike is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Derek Swift

WOO-HOO! I just got my new Burley Canto yesterday!!!

I have to admit, it is not stock. I had the dealer replace the rear derailleur (Alivio) and both
shifters (Grip Shift MRX) with SRAM 9.0SL parts. But it is a super sweet ride!! There is so much
difference between it and my BikeE (duh!).

One sweet thing about the 2003 models is that they come with Truvativ Elita cranks and arms.

Derek

Congrats, Derek! Hopefully you don't go insane switching it back and forth between SWB and MWB :)
May the burley be everything you want it to be, and more. Let me know how you like the crank as I
just bought one.

John H N TX

> Let me know how you like the crank as I just bought one.

I'm a newbie, please explain this to me! What is 'sweet' about a crank and arms? Lighter? OK.. but
how would one isolate that from the over-all newness of the bike? What's great about cranks? Special
bearings? Less friction? My super-biker neighbor dug into his parts box and sold me a few things. He
carefully unwrapped a package and pulled out a crank. He turned it this way and that, to catch the
light.. I didn't know what to think. How can I complement a crank? "Wow! What nice lines and smooth
curves!" Anyway it is available if my R40 crank dies sometime this century. Reminds me.. on this
year's 'Climb to Kaiser' a fella broke his crank right near the start. His leg went down and got
sliced/diced on the sharp edge. Hadda go to the hospital & didn't get to finish the ride.

GeoB wrote:
>
> > Let me know how you like the crank as I just bought one.
>
> I'm a newbie, please explain this to me! What is 'sweet' about a crank and arms? Lighter? OK.. but
> how would one isolate that from the over-all newness of the bike? What's great about cranks?
> Special bearings? Less friction?...

The bearings are in the bottom bracket (crank spindle) which is separate from the crank itself. [1]

There are several factors that can be measured objectively that will make a difference between
cranks. One obviously is weight. The two that are most important are crank arm length (much debated
as too effect) and "Q-factor" which determines (along with the bottom bracket spindle length) the
horizontal distance the pedals will be apart.

Chainring design can also be significant. [2] "Ramps and pins" will assist in shifting up to a
larger chainring. This is more important with indexed shifting, especially with Shimano
Rapid-fire shifters.

As for the importance of the visual characteristics of shape and finish, that is totally dependent
on the owner's value system.

[1] The are several different ways to attach the cranks to the bottom bracket, so not all cranks and
bottom brackets are compatible. Refer to < http://www.sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html > for more
information.
[2] There are also compatibility issue between cranks and chainrings - bolt circle diameter (BCD)
and bolt pattern (5 bolts are standard, but 4 bolt MTB cranks are fairly common).

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) RANS "Wavewind" and Rocket, Earth Cycles Sunset and
Dragonflyer

Cool. Let us know any bags you buy or customizing you do.

I wonder why you bought a Canto and changed out the gear instead of the more expensive Taiko with
its components? Did you do it to save money?

--
Kent W. England

"Derek Swift" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> WOO-HOO! I just got my new Burley Canto yesterday!!!
>
> I have to admit, it is not stock. I had the dealer replace the rear derailleur (Alivio) and both
> shifters (Grip Shift MRX) with SRAM 9.0SL parts. But it is a super sweet ride!! There is so much
> difference between it and my BikeE (duh!).
>
> One sweet thing about the 2003 models is that they come with Truvativ Elita cranks and arms.
>
> Derek

>I wonder why you bought a Canto and changed out the gear instead of the more expensive Taiko with
>its components? Did you do it to save money?

The Canto is cheaper to buy, with the upgrades it was cheaper than the Taiko. (I know Derek,
BTW...we did the HH100 this year) I think the Taiko uses the 105 crank which is not a good idea for
recumbents. (Go ahead and complain) The 105 has a habit of breaking and with the increased torque
load of recumbents (at least with those of use with Euro seats) the 105 is not good for long term
durability. Basically, the Canto and Taiko use the same frame...and that is what counts. Components
can be changed but the frame is the gold of the experience. Derek likes SRAM 9.0 SL shifters and
derailluers (he has them on his BikeE) From what I understand, the Taiko can't convert to SWB to LWB
and vice versa. He likes to do fully loaded long distance touring so the LWB ability is important to
him. The good thing about the Canto is that they use the TruVantiv Elita cold forged crank. It will
last for years and works very well and is very light. The good thing about roadie cranks is they
don't change the bolt circle every year. I am waiting for my FSA ISIS bottom bracket for mine at
this point. After a couple of years of battling over the available bents, Derek decided to go with
the most adjustable bent out there with a decent price. Burley has been around for decades and makes
a quality product that won't break. Now to get the Nils Palm Wind in spec for the Freewheel this
year... if you see a black Street Machine clone chasing a Canto that will be us!

John H N TX

> Cool. Let us know any bags you buy or customizing you do.

I have made a PVC pipe "T" for a light mount upfront on the derailleur tube. It works very well.
Total cost: $1.50. Beats buying that Vision T-Bar Light Mount for $30.

I also purchased a Lone Peak seat bag from the wonderful Calhoun folks for $47. HS sells the same
bag for $60.

> I wonder why you bought a Canto and changed out the gear instead of the more expensive Taiko with
> its components? Did you do it to save money?

Yes, I saved a lot. My LBS said the Taiko was nice but not $1,800 nice. Totally on the bike with the
nine speed upgrade, SRAM 9.0SL shifters, derailleur and everything else, I paid about $1,575. I
saved $225...if you want to compare the SRAM 9.0 components to the Shimano Deore shifters.

I did not want the 105 crankset. I liked the Truvativ Elita that the Canto used. Besides, I am a
serious fan of SRAM 9.0. They shift and I do not even hear the shift. The gears and everything are
smooth as silk.

Derek

I also prefer the Canto's frame color. Have you had trouble with the seat slipping?

Derek Swift wrote:
>>Cool. Let us know any bags you buy or customizing you do.
>
>
> I have made a PVC pipe "T" for a light mount upfront on the derailleur tube. It works very well.
> Total cost: $1.50. Beats buying that Vision T-Bar Light Mount for $30.
>
> I also purchased a Lone Peak seat bag from the wonderful Calhoun folks for $47. HS sells the same
> bag for $60.
>
>
>>I wonder why you bought a Canto and changed out the gear instead of the more expensive Taiko with
>>its components? Did you do it to save money?
>
>
> Yes, I saved a lot. My LBS said the Taiko was nice but not $1,800 nice. Totally on the bike with
> the nine speed upgrade, SRAM 9.0SL shifters, derailleur and everything else, I paid about $1,575.
> I saved $225...if you want to compare the SRAM 9.0 components to the Shimano Deore shifters.
>
> I did not want the 105 crankset. I liked the Truvativ Elita that the Canto used. Besides, I am a
> serious fan of SRAM 9.0. They shift and I do not even hear the shift. The gears and everything are
> smooth as silk.
>
> Derek

> I also prefer the Canto's frame color. Have you had trouble with the seat slipping?

Which part? I notice the seat base does not hold its tilt very well. That is the only flaw in the
seat I have noticed.

Derek

the last Canto I had, the seat would slip on the rail, no matter what I did, very frustrating.

Derek Swift wrote:
>>I also prefer the Canto's frame color. Have you had trouble with the seat slipping?
>
>
> Which part? I notice the seat base does not hold its tilt very well. That is the only flaw in the
> seat I have noticed.
>
>
> Derek

> the last Canto I had, the seat would slip on the rail, no matter what I did, very frustrating.

No...I have not had this problem. I am built like a Kodiak, yet the seat quick releases are not hard
to latch. They seem almost too loose. I am used to having a BikeE to adjust which left quick release
prints in my hands for a half hour because of the tightness. The rail qr works great.

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.