My new bike! (yes, pictures:)

sorebutt said:
Well, not so new. It already has 540 miles. got it at the end of June, and just finished the web page with all the pictures.

Click here for all the pictures and stats

Wow! An Eisentraut! What a rare gem -- even here in the Bay Area, sorebutt. I've got one co-worker with a 10 year old AE which she still rides and loves, but she's the only I know of.

Looks fantastic. Anything you'd like to share? Go on, share. Tell us.

i know nothing about the builder, but it looks great.

it must be very satisifying owning a custom. knowing that it was built just for you, and nobody else. also having the docs showing its construction.

as frodrick said in young frankenstien: it's alive, it's alive! :eek:

theres not much satisfaction in thinking about the most likely very young underpaid asian that assembled my frame. :( its a nice frame, but aside from its performance, i dont have any emotional attachment to it, in contrast to the relationship that you will develope with your custom.

congrats, and ride the wheels off that thing!

Sorebutt, does Al still do these himself, or has he gotten old enough to share more of the workload yet?

ThrillBilly said:
i know nothing about the builder, but it looks great.

it must be very satisifying owning a custom. knowing that it was built just for you, and nobody else. also having the docs showing its construction.

as frodrick said in young frankenstien: it's alive, it's alive! :eek:

theres not much satisfaction in thinking about the most likely very young underpaid asian that assembled my frame. :( its a nice frame, but aside from its performance, i dont have any emotional attachment to it, in contrast to the relationship that you will develope with your custom.

congrats, and ride the wheels off that thing!

I got to know of Albert from a common friend we have. I was new to cycling at the time (4 years ago) and I thought I was happy with my Giant OCR1. After a few years, when I was finally convinced that cycling is for me, I decided to reward my self with a custom bike after my second century.

The process was a lot of fun. Albert measured me, interviewed me for my biking habits and style, observed me riding on my OCR, and then measured me again ON THE BIKE.. I also selected some of the lugs and features, such as the fork crown (Henry James), and the rear dropouts (Campy).
Every once in a while I come by his shop to see the bike made, and when he built it up (Campy Centaur) I was there to do it with him.

He also added my initials (in Sterling Silver) on the top tube.. Nice touch.

What I got was a bike that fits me like a glove. After a few rides that it took to get the seat in the right place, the bike is just a non-issue. I ride without even being aware of the bike. All the cramps and pains I had with the old bike, which I thought are part of the biking experience are gone. The bike just disappears under me, and all I have to do is ride. :)

I chose this color cause I like this type of yellow. I went to a automotive paint store and looked through the books and selected a few colors (Jeep yellow, Corvette Yellow and Penske rental trucks Yellow) and ended up with a PPG color called "Southern Belle"..

Now I have a bike that is mine, all mine, made for me, and it is a bike for life. I may buy another bike some day, something high tech with all kinds of high tech plastics and geometry, but the Traut will always be "my" bike..

I have 450 miles on it, and it gets better all the time as the campy kinda breaks in, and gets smoother by the ride.

boudreaux said:
You might want to rethink that rear dropout adjustment.
Yeah, the right side of the wheel poped out on my first climb (post picture taking) the first time I stood up on the pedals, but I moved it a bit further in (aft) and now it is fine.

lokstah said:
Sorebutt, does Al still do these himself, or has he gotten old enough to share more of the workload yet?

He doesnt do as many bikes and his son works with him on some of the actual production work. That's him with my bike..

boudreaux said:
Then why do YOU ned that geezer stem and spacer staaack?
I'm curious. Do you come by being an asshole naturally, or do you work at it? Either way, you're certainly a success. You have a most impressive catalogue of content-free but acerbic posts.

boudreaux said:
Then why do YOU ned that geezer stem and spacer staaack?

Took me a while to figure out what you are talking about. You thought that that guy the picture was me... So it is OK for me to have this Geezer step and staaaaack of spacers. But since I am not that guy, you want to know why I need that geezer stem and the staaaack of spacers? is that what you want to know?

Ok, sorebutt... I'm not in the position to buy a bike any time soon, but as an East Bay resident and a talented wishful thinker, I feel the need to ask: what's Al asking for a frame like that? If that raise and/or bonus goes through, I could scale back on that planned vacation, and maybe sell the TCR, halt the upgrade parade on my Klein...

I'd probably buy components seperately, except for the custom matching stem (a thing of beauty, can't pass that up) -- what's an Eisentraut frameset + stem go for? Message me if you'd rather not telegraph your credit card statement to the information hwy.

:)

lokstah said:
Ok, sorebutt... I'm not in the position to buy a bike any time soon, but as an East Bay resident and a talented wishful thinker, I feel the need to ask: what's Al asking for a frame like that? If that raise and/or bonus goes through, I could scale back on that planned vacation, and maybe sell the TCR, halt the upgrade parade on my Klein...

I'd probably buy components seperately, except for the custom matching stem (a thing of beauty, can't pass that up) -- what's an Eisentraut frameset + stem go for? Message me if you'd rather not telegraph your credit card statement to the information hwy.

:)

See PM... Eisentraut prices are similar to those of say Serotta when comparinbg apples to apples.