My new bike

G

At last, after waiting and waiting, I finally went today to buy an OCR 3 and came out the shop with an OCR 2. ;D

After much wrangling I couldn't get much off the price of the OCR3 but he would give me a decent discount off the OCR2, so whilst paying more for a bike than I intended, I'm happy.

Taking it out of the shop it was raining and the forecast for the next few days is rain but I just want to RIDE - It looks like I'm going to get wet.

I've been told where the Bike club meet up, but I think I'll get used to the bike for a while before I go. He did mention that they do ten mile timetrials on a thursday evening and knowing where the road is I know it's pretty flat. So as a complete beginner on a roadbike what kind of time should I aim for.

dont aim too high :). it takes time to get fast. though if its pritty flat id say you could do 35-40k at first. I can do 40k on a hilly course so id say you could do that on flat if your new?. just have fun and dont have a heart atack ;). You need to start slowly. having said that i realy have no clue what you can do ;D

I managed to take her out for a spin for the first time today, whilst it doesn't have Clipless pedals, it does have Straps on the pedals, and yep I came off at a Junction,(it is more embarassing than painful isn't it).

I get the feeling that it won't be the Last time, but I hope it soon becomes second nature to get my foot off the pedal before I get to a junction.

I managed to take her out for a spin for the first time today, whilst it doesn't have Clipless pedals, it does have Straps on the pedals, and yep I came off at a Junction,(it is more embarassing than painful isn't it).

I get the feeling that it won't be the Last time, but I hope it soon becomes second nature to get my foot off the pedal before I get to a junction.

You are getting clipless pedals ? strap ons are from another era. go get clip less they are the best thing you could do.

I was lucky i never fell when getting used to my clip less.
Just set the tension on loose and practice on quiet roads.

Dont forget to get some 'cleat protectors' too when you make the move. they are rubber and clip onto your cleats to stop you wearing them down. they also help with walking (not hiking ;) )

Congratulations on your new acquisition. Depending on your current fitness levels and whether you have a base, you should aim for an average speed of between 24 - 26 kmph. This is a reasonable pace and was what I was capable of when I started cycling. Go riding with someone of similar strength to take the sting out of the hills. It helps you to pace yourself and not go too fast too soon and then having the humiliation of having to push your bike up a hill. Pride is at stake here. ;D

Oh yes, go and get those clipless pedals. If you have a MTB, use the same pedals for both bikes then you can save on buying 2 pairs of shoes (and you can use them for spinning). (Or if you're a purist like the ol' rat, then buy two pairs of shoes)

Enjoy.

Lab-Rat you wasn't far off with your estimate, on my first ride my average was 27kmph, but it's very hard not to go fast (the speed is addictive- but exhausting :)) though I have to say that it was far harder than I imagined.

Gear Grinder and Lab_Rat on the subject off Clipless pedals, as soon as I got the bike home I knew that it should have clipless pedals on it (it doesn't look right,if you can understand what I mean by that) So clipless will not be long, but as for putting them on my MTB I'm still not really sure about that, That's scary :eek:

I promise you this, once you ride with cleats on both your bikes, you'll find it VERY uncomfortable to ride a bike without. As long as you think about what you're doing, you should be okay. Unclip your pedals a few seconds before you need to stop and build the habit. If you think about it at first, you shouldn't fall over at all.

It's really not that much of an art. As for MTB, I actually feel alot more stable on my bike when I'm clipped in. As I am known for falling often (offroad) I'm also known for my ability to unclip at light speed. This comes more from instinct than talent.

Seeing as you have been shopping for a bike, I'm looking for one for my girlfriend. So far the best I've seen is the KHS Flite 700 which is really well priced (I think I get quantity discount at the bike shop coz I spend so much cash there). Bonus is it will have entry-level components (full Shimano Sora) but it will also have a nice carbon fork, decent wheels and a lady specific seat and set-up. Let me know what you think.

Flite070.JPG

thats true lab rat i can realy tell the difference when i ride my mtb wich just has normaly pedals. Id buy clipless for it if i actually rode it often ;D, Im realy 99% roadie now :D

Thats nice of you to buy your girlfriend a bike ;). Is it so you can ride yours more often while still spending time with her :) ;D ;D. good idea hahah.

if she is only going to do short rides and only ocasionaly that bike is fine. Though if she gets serious she can buy her own new bike ;), that saves you money. ok you can tell im a miser ;)

Not necessarily a miser GG, you don't realise how many bikes end up dusty in the garage.

I already got her a MTB and she's doing really well on it. The problem is that I'm also predominantly a roadie and when I go out on my MTB, it's often with some really strong guys. I don't want her to become disheartened.

Besides, by getting her a bike too, she won't have to sit around and wait for me to finish races. She can particpate as well.