My new bike....

oneradtec

Jul 26, 2003
Went to the bike shop today. Saw a nice bike in there that I couldn't take my eyes off of. I ask the guy how much. He says it belongs to him...it's his personal ride. It's very clean and very low miles...I mistook it for being brand new. He says it might be for sale...but it is too big for me he says. I walk away and look around at other bikes.

I keep coming back to his bike...just looking at it hanging there on display. It occurs to me that it really doesn't look too big..although he is a few inches taller than me.

The bike is a Giant TCR Composite O(nude carbon fiber frame) with full Dura Ace 10 speed...and Kysirium SL wheelset. I'm just under 5feet10 and the bike is a size 'large'. Something tells me that that frame just might fit me...and I cannot get my eyes off it.

I ask the guy to take it down and let me have a closer look. OK..it needs some adjustments. I take it out side and ride it around the shop.

OK...I ask him to get me a shorter stem on the bike...and he does. We also lower the seat and adjust the bars a bit. Suddenly we have a fit. I just had a hunch that this bike would work with me..and I am proven right.

We talk about price and settle on 3000 U.S. dollars. It comes with a sweet Mavic computer and a pair of carbon water bottle cages.....also a carbon seat post.

I write the man a check and take the bike home...hoping to get home and put up the bike before the misses comes home. My wife comes home later and I consider hiding the bike and receipt. I do this but decide to break the news to her later. She took it better than I thought.

I put a few steaks on the grill and have a few beers(Sam Adams). mmmm mmmm good. Can't stop thinking about that Giant in the back room.

I take it out and go for a spin in the waning day light. about 10 miles...just to check out the ride and fit. It seems we have it dialed in perfectly. Any regrets have been erased. I'm sold and happy. This is my first Dura Ace bike...as I've ridden Ultegra up til now.

What a beauty! Sweet ride...and perhaps the lightest bike I've ever had my hands on...approx 16.5 lbs. I'll post a pic here later if I can. Finally I have my dream bike!!!!!

The Giant TCR -- he alloy version, and especially the carbon model -- has got to be one of the best values on the market. Good choice; have fun out there!