Saddle: Vetta Trishock
Bottle cage: Tacx Tao

Total weight: 15.2 lbs

Sweeeet ride. Smooooth and quiet!! :D :cool:

baj32161 said:
I hate you!:D

Please don't hate me just because I'm beautiful :D

Just a few words about its ride.

it's a really smooth ride, that is it soaks up lots of little bumps and on bigger holes it helps to dampen the shocks. I know the tires/wheels have a lot to do with this...but this quality of the bike should rank right up there with many other carbon frames.

It's a stiff bike in terms of the BB/frame not flexing but it doesn't feel hard on your body. This is a hard feeling for me to describe...I rode my other carbon frame bike which is a bit heavier then I switched to the Scott and.... it being lighter..comfier...it just feels like it floats..

Is it the stiffest frame? No!! Fastest for racing? probably not. You can probably find stiffer frames out there but not with this combination of ride quality of stiffness/plushness/lightness. If it gets any stiffer, it would take that comfy ride quality away I presume. I have felt some frame compliance when stopping hard going down hill or going over big bumps...perhaps this is from the tires? or fork's steering tube?

I'll give more details as I log more miles on this bike. So far I've done about 140 miles on it...and after a 40 mile ride the other day...I came back my body felt great other than my legs were worn out.

sparknote_s said:
How much did you pay?

Well...it's kinda hard to say but....I already owned the American Classic 420...I essentially downgraded the Ksyrium Elite that came with the bike to the Equiped...exchanged/upgraded other parts...I would say I paid around $3500 before tax.

I saved some money and get almost as light a bike with similar ride quality as the Team Issue.

jmurray89 said:
sweet ride, a guy i ride with has one, ive ridden it and love it

Then you should get one!! :p

I see a couple of guys here are also from the Atlanta area...where do guys go to ride?

I live in marietta, and no i cant get one, i just bought a new Blue Competition Cycles Carbon from my team, but hey its a nice ride too.

jmurray89 said:
I live in marietta, and no i cant get one, i just bought a new Blue Competition Cycles Carbon from my team, but hey its a nice ride too.

Yes indeed. And I know you're faster but I still have a nice bike :p

Rudy,
Are you the guy that put together a Kestrel Talon a year or so ago? If so, is there a big difference. Ride, acceleration etc...?

antone said:
Rudy,
Are you the guy that put together a Kestrel Talon a year or so ago? If so, is there a big difference. Ride, acceleration etc...?

Wow! what a memory you have. Yup, that was me.

Is there a big difference in ride etc? yup! night and day. Just two different bikes, two different personalities.

Keep in mind that I only weight around 153lbs give and take 4 or 5 lbs on any given day.

Both bikes do very well in the basics..like stiffness in the BB. No flex when I stomp on them etc. Both bikes will respond. Acceleration? hmmm it's so close and hard to tell. I've only had the CR1 for 2 weeks now with approx 200 miles on it. If I have to say right now, the talon may accelerates a bit better that is if you're a power rider to have the legs to push it but the CR1 is no slouch.

Handling is quick on both bikes. I haven't put the CR1 through big test yet but it's quite stable.

The Talon is obviously heavier and very stiff ...heavier/stiff bikes usually feels more stable/solid than lighter bikes. But this stiffness of the Talon will allow you to feel the bumps on the road. I can feel more bumps on the road than the CR1. The rear wheels on the Talon can bouces around a bit more over rough roads where as the CR1 will just smooth over it better. The CR1 being lighter would make you think that it would bounce around a bit more than the Talon? nope!The CR1 is just smooth and more comfy something that you'd like to go long distances and get there faster. Both climbs well...especially the CR1 being so light.

The ride quality of the CR1 is just hard to descibe...it's like a combination of the dampening of the Trek OCLV without the carbon dead ride and good roadfeel of the TCR composite 2 without the rough vibrations. Plus...it's light underneath you. It's 2 or 3 lbs lighter than many other bikes but it feels like much lighter. The Talon on the other hand just feels racier with that stealthy frame and huge BB. You want a rush of adrenaline? hehe

A lot of people making comments on how the CR1's stiffness is its best quality. Frankly, IMO, it's the ride quality/lightness is where the CR1 shines. It's stiff but if stiffness is all that you want, you can find better. It has a good combination IMO.

Hope this helps...go out and test ride 'em back to back and you'll see. They're night and day different. :D

Bicycling magazine reviewed this bike this month. Seems like an awesome ride, do you have the minor problem they mention of the front derailer not clearing the frame when cross chaining?

50mph said:
Bicycling magazine reviewed this bike this month. Seems like an awesome ride, do you have the minor problem they mention of the front derailer not clearing the frame when cross chaining?

Umm nope. But...when I first picked up my bike, the front der. did rub quite a bit such that I couldn't shift into certain gears ( I can't remember). Took it back to LBS and they fixed it.

There is one issue though however, but it's not with the frame. It's with the DA-10. This is when you're in the smaller crank (39/53) on the front and the smaller 3 or 4 cogs in the back....there's a slight rub of a "pin" in the front crank. This can be fixed by installing a 1mm spacer to bring the outside crank further out.
My mechanic friend, who's been doing it for 20 years, recommended that I don't put in the spacer because it may mis-shift.

Anyway....I guess I need to pick up the magazine to read the review.

Hey Rudy, sorry it took so long to get back. I usually find myself riding from my apartment (near Mercer Univ.--Chamblee-Tucker and I-85) out to Stone Mountain (where I put in a few short laps) and then back to the apartment. I'm not in that great of shape at this time, so this is about all it takes to tire me out (its about 30-40 miles), and I usually do this on weekends. Other than that, I ride out at stone mountain occasionally during the week, or around my apartment or on the trainer trying to burn some fat and just spin. Where do you ride most often, what area of town are you from, and what LBS do you use?