My new Giant Yukon, wrong brakes?

spoonfed

Nov 21, 2003
I just picked up my new Giant Yukon and am a little concerned that perhaps it has the wrong brake calipers on it.

The specs both on the shops and Giant's site list the brakes as Hayes MX2. The acutal ones on it are Hayes GX2. Anyone know what the deal might be here?

Perhaps did they not have any MX2'a (latest i guess) and put old stock GX2's on?

Also of note the front brake performace seems a little lacking, haven't even riding 1 hour yet so maybe has to bed in? (never had disc's before). However the rear definately has more "bite"

Any ideas would be great before i ring them up and enquire.

Danny

Originally posted by spoonfed
I just picked up my new Giant Yukon and am a little concerned that perhaps it has the wrong brake calipers on it.

The specs both on the shops and Giant's site list the brakes as Hayes MX2. The acutal ones on it are Hayes GX2. Anyone know what the deal might be here?

Perhaps did they not have any MX2'a (latest i guess) and put old stock GX2's on?

Also of note the front brake performace seems a little lacking, haven't even riding 1 hour yet so maybe has to bed in? (never had disc's before). However the rear definately has more "bite"

Any ideas would be great before i ring them up and enquire.

Danny

Call Giant and ask them. Also, check Hayes' website - you might have gotten better brakes for the same $.

As for the performance, it takes a few rides for the pads to wear in. You will notice the difference.

Thanks for the info.

I checked Haye's site, not listed, which leads me to believe perhaps they are equivelent to the MX2's BUT an older model, in which case worse.

I think i will give Giant a call. At least if they say for certain that they are the WRONG ones and old, im sure they will not be too happy to know the shop fitted the incorrect ones, in which case i think i may get some snappy service (perhaps something bonus) out of this :)

D

UPDATE:

Rang Giant. They are now the standard that comes on this model, apparently custom by Hayes for the Yukon :)

UPDATE:

Rang Giant. They are now the standard that comes on this model, apparently custom by Hayes for the Yukon :)

sweet. Giant is a great company with awesome customer service. glad it worked out.

To get your brakes working properly try this trick

take the pads out and give them a light sand back with sandpaper.

Then find the longest steepest hill you can and then PEDAL down with your brakes on the whole way. Your pads will heat up and cook out some of the left over glue from manufacture then they should work well

i learnt this from a DH specific shop that said no one knew about it. We tried it on my flatmates hayes equipped bike after she had lots of problems with **** braking and now her brakes work a treat

Originally posted by Duckwah
To get your brakes working properly try this trick

take the pads out and give them a light sand back with sandpaper.

Then find the longest steepest hill you can and then PEDAL down with your brakes on the whole way. Your pads will heat up and cook out some of the left over glue from manufacture then they should work well

i learnt this from a DH specific shop that said no one knew about it. We tried it on my flatmates hayes equipped bike after she had lots of problems with **** braking and now her brakes work a treat

I think you'll be fine after using them a few times. There are lots of other tricks too like putting the pads in the oven to burn off any oil or residue. Just remember not to touch them or the rotors with your hands. (If you touch the rotors just clean them with rubbing alcohol).

Thats probably just an OEM version of the MX-2's. As far as the brakes not having enough power yet, thats completely normal. All disc systems require a break in perion while the pad grinds into the rotor and removes the top shiny layer. The pads also take a while before they roughen up. Usually after a few hours of riding and a good downhill run or two will get them working as they should. They will barely be able to even lock the wheel before then. Also clean your pads and rotors with a clean rag and alcohol to remove any oil or grease that might have come in contact during assembly.

Thanks for all the info. Going for a trail ride this arvo (first yet) so hopefully after then they should be better.

I wish their would have been an 18inch size, i got a 17inch, which is probably JUST enough, 19 is a bit too talll (wouldn't want to jump off to quick if ya know what i mean) hehe

Im round 5foot 7.4inchs

17" is your size. 18" tends to be more for around 5'9" to 6' roughly. Better to go a bit smaller than too large.

Yeah true, especially for tighter trails.

Ahhh i love the net, theirs a forum for everything :)

I recently got a used kona Roast and I very pleased with it. However the brakes don't stop the bike. This is a problem when going down steep trails. They will slow me down to a point, but no matter how hard I squeeze the levers I can't lock up the wheels. I have Hayes mechanical MX-1's and I took out the pads and they looked really scratched and pitted, but with plenty of surface area left. The brakes do make alot of noise, hisses and sqeals when I yank on the levers. Should I get new pads? Other than cleaning the rotors and pads, is there anything else that I can do? Mahalo
M

Give the pads a light sand and use metho to clean the discs.

Also before u do see if the rear back locks up with much less effort.

i found my rear pads to be a different compond to the front. I pulled them both out, sanded, cleaned disc and reversed the pad order and big improvement

Give the pads a light sand and use metho to clean the discs.

Also before u do see if the rear back locks up with much less effort.

i found my rear pads to be a different compond to the front. I pulled them both out, sanded, cleaned disc and reversed the pad order and big improvement

Neither the front nor back will lock up at all. I tried swaping the front pads with the rear pads, that seemed to reduce the squealing, but did not improve the braking. I have bombed a few trails with this bike and it is f*ckin' scary to know that hauling on the brakes with all your strength will not do more than slow you down a little.
I tried cleaning the pads and rotors with nail polish remover (it was the only thing I had with alchohol in it (other than SKY), but i think it had some other stuff in it too). When I cleaned them tons of black gunk came off, but the braking power did not improve. Anyway thanks for your help.

ooooh, putting nail polish remover "may" have been ok on the discs, not sure if it leaves a residue (metho is best i find), but putting it on the pads i would think is bad, perhaps it has soaked in and damaged them.

A light sand with sand paper works well on the pads

spoonfed said:
UPDATE:

yeah thats a huge load of bull:D. i got the giant stp2 and on the site it says it comes with mx2 disc brakes and it has the gx2's. at first my back and front brakes didnt work very well but if you ride around with then on slightly for a bit they will work great, im really mad though cause on my front brake my inner pad adjuster is stuck and wont move at all and now i have no adjustment so its ether keep a good pad in or get a new rotor.
just thought id let you people know what i thought.

aziel said:
I recently got a used kona Roast and I very pleased with it. However the brakes don't stop the bike. This is a problem when going down steep trails. They will slow me down to a point, but no matter how hard I squeeze the levers I can't lock up the wheels. I have Hayes mechanical MX-1's and I took out the pads and they looked really scratched and pitted, but with plenty of surface area left. The brakes do make alot of noise, hisses and sqeals when I yank on the levers. Should I get new pads? Other than cleaning the rotors and pads, is there anything else that I can do? Mahalo
M
The pads may have gotten contaminated with oil. If so, no amount of cleaning will fix them. I'd suggest pad replacement. Initially the new pads will not seem any better, but as they bed in your braking should improve dramatically. Clean your discs thoroughly with brake cleaner before installing the new pads.

You should also service the cables and/or consider replacing the inners and outers. Buildup of crud will increase cable drag and give what seems to be poor brake performance when in reality a lot of the lever pressure is not making it to the brake pad.

Hence my move to hydraulics. HFX 9's rock. :p