My new Giraffe

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by newtouni, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. newtouni

    newtouni Guest

    Tags:

  2. tylercox

    tylercox Guest

  3. AllThingsUni

    AllThingsUni Guest

    my advice is dont try to hop on a giraffe unless you know what youre
    getting into. Me and my friend went out for a ride recently, and i
    decided to take my giraffe since i normally dont, and i tried hopping,
    and the uni slipped behind me and i fell as if i had no bones. It was
    actually kinda funny. The same thing happened when i tried to do one
    footed on it. Anyway yeah im still hoping to sell my giraffe, and if
    anyone wants it before i put it on ebay im selling it for 125 free
    shipping.;)

    Jon

    --
    AllThingsUni - A Hog Noob

    I will prepare and one day my time will come. - Abe Lincoln

    You become brave by doing brave things - Aristotle
    AllThingsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8306

  4. bugman

    bugman Guest

    What kind?

    --
    bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who
    are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

    Albert Einstein

  5. GILD

    GILD Guest

    get used to dismounting with the raffie in front of u before u even try
    n ride it

    riding it will be easy enough
    just watch for the raffie trying to pull the seat out from between your
    legs
    make sure the seat-height is correct

    but make sure u're comfortable getting off the back of the raffie and
    u'll be kewl
    the main reason why this is more of an issue than it is with a 'normal'
    uni, is the fact that if u dismount off the front, and the wheel, on
    it's way back, stops against something u didn't see, u can hurt your
    spine quite badly

    and learn to freemount
    it is [imho] the kewlest thing in the uni-world

    --
    GILD - Waffle-Tosser and Time-bider

    if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
    alice 'roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) longworth
    I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- William H.
    Mauldin

    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)

  6. newtouni

    newtouni Guest

    AllThingsUni wrote:
    > * Anyway yeah im still hoping to sell my giraffe, and if anyone wants
    > it before i put it on ebay im selling it for 125 free shipping.;)*

    I don't know what type you are selling, but I paid less than that for my
    brand new Torker 5ft (with shipping).

    --
    newtouni - Self Proclaimed Unicycling Dufus

    Download UniCalc
    (The Unicycle Calculator) free from
    http://www.ironjungle.com/
    newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465

  7. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    GILD wrote:
    > *if u dismount off the front, and the wheel, on it's way back, stops
    > against something u didn't see, u can hurt your spine quite badly*

    This is true but the same applies to letting the wheel roll out to the
    front. This will hurt your nads (for the guys) and is probably less
    scary than hurting your spine, it can be pretty bad as well.

    Best thing to do is, when in doubt, don't let the wheel roll out.
    Instead, stop the bottom pedal and just go down like a tree. There are
    some who say you won't land as hard, because your path to the ground is
    curved. The logic makes sense to me. What do you physics people have to
    say about that?

    Before trying to freemount your giraffe, ride it around some and
    practice falling off in the direction of all points of the compass. Then
    you'll be much better equipped to make that mount safely, and be able to
    ride away from it when it happens.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  8. corbin

    corbin Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *
    > stop the bottom pedal and just go down like a tree. There are some who
    > say you won't land as hard, because your path to the ground is curved.
    > The logic makes sense to me. What do you physics people have to say
    > about that?*

    I'd disagree. You will fall from the same distance, and will accelerate
    at the same rate downwards (9.81 m/s^2), hitting the ground at the same
    vertical speed.

    If you take two balls, and at the same time drop one while throwing the
    other horizontally, both will hit the ground at the same time (provided
    you release the horizontal ball perfectly horizontal). Each will hit the
    ground at the same vertical velocity.

    --corbin

    --
    corbin - Treehouse Muni Rider

    http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
    corbin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7561

  9. jsm

    jsm Guest

    > If you take two balls, and at the same time drop one while throwing
    > the other horizontally, both will hit the ground at the same time
    > (provided you release the horizontal ball perfectly horizontal). Each
    > will hit the ground at the same vertical velocity.

    Right. I've just been learning about this stuff in physics. Actually,
    the horizontal ball will probably take slightly longer though, because
    it travels farther and is therefore subject to more air resistance.

    --
    jsm - Coasting Addict

    Why ride with your feet when you could just as well use your hands?
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  10. mgrant

    mgrant Guest

    corbin wrote:
    > *I'd disagree. You will fall from the same distance, and will
    > accelerate at the same rate downwards (9.81 m/s^2), hitting the ground
    > at the same vertical speed.
    >
    > If you take two balls, and at the same time drop one while throwing
    > the other horizontally, both will hit the ground at the same time
    > (provided you release the horizontal ball perfectly horizontal). Each
    > will hit the ground at the same vertical velocity.
    >
    > --corbin *

    This fails to take into account any interaction between the unicycle and
    the rider.

    If you stop the wheel and pivot down you can apply pressure to the
    pedals to slow the descent. Just as you could control the speed of the
    wheel rolling in the "straight-down" dismount.

    Using your "two balls" example:

    First case:
    Attach a ball atop a 2 meter stick. Then with the stick balanced allow
    it to tip over and observe the time it take for the ball to reach the
    ground (still attached to the end of the stick).

    Next case:
    Do not attach the ball to the same 2 meter stick but balance it on top.
    Now, with the stick upright and the ball atop it, quickly pull the stick
    out from under the ball. I believe in this case the ball will reach the
    ground much more quickly than in case #1.

    It's not physics that tells me this though - it's my intuition. If my
    intuition get's in a fight with physics my money's on physics.

    -mg

    --
    mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
    breath, and one day closer to death.
    michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
    mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

  11. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Yes I definitely think the unicycle's being there is the factor that
    provides the difference. The shorter the giraffe, the greater the
    difference.

    I don't know how to translate that in to physics language. But I guess
    this is not uncommon. Most of the times I see people offering physics
    explanations for real-world unicycling phenomena, the physics people
    leave stuff out.

    So one person is dropping straight down; essentially a direct drop from
    seat-level. The other person is taking a curved path, so their downward
    acceleration is either slowed or delayed (or both) before it starts
    picking up speed.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

  12. Gilby

    Gilby Guest

    johnfoss wrote:
    > *I don't know how to translate that in to physics language.*

    You need to look at it in terms of conservation of energy here. In both
    methods of dismounting, they start with the same potential energy. When
    the person on the giraffe just drops straight down, all that energy is
    downward and gets absorbed by the impact (either by the person bending
    their knees, breaking bones, producing heat, etc). When the rider
    dismounts while keeping the wheel still (like a falling tree), the force
    acting on the rider by the unicycle causes the unicyclist to move
    horizontally while falling down. So when the rider impacts the ground,
    the rider is still moving horizontally in addition to some energy being
    absorbed by the impact. However, the total energy needs to be the same,
    so with their being energy from the rider still moving horizontally,
    there is then less energy absorbed in the impact when comparison to just
    falling straight down.

    > *Most of the times I see people offering physics explanations for
    > real-world unicycling phenomena, the physics people leave stuff out.*

    That is very typical as there are a ton of variables and usually physics
    and engineering try to simplify the problem as much as possible by not
    considering the insignificant variables, such as air resistance in this
    case.

    --
    Gilby - Unicyclist.com Webmaster
    Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

  13. tennisgh22

    tennisgh22 Guest

    noo all you darn physics geniuses beat me to it. i thought id be the
    first to correct him. i think this is what gilby was trying to say, only
    in equations:

    (mass)(gravity)(height) = 1/2 (mass)(velocity)^2

    mass cancels out, gravity is about 10 m/s...height of unicycle lets say
    is 2 meters...

    20 = 1/2 V^2

    voila: your velocity when u land is the square root of 40, or like
    6.something meters/second. whether u curve down or go straight down, ur
    converting all your potential energy into kinetic. sry for reiterating
    what other ppl said but i just couldn't let a post on physics go by
    without contributing something :)

    -grant

    --
    tennisgh22 - Haha you fool

    The word gullible is written above my avatar!
    tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

  14. elmer

    elmer Guest

    I don't know why, but when I dismount "falling tree style" instead of
    dropping straight down, it is easier on my body. I've so far not had a
    bad (painful) dismount from my 5' giraffe, even though I started riding
    it when I could barely ride a regular 24" unicycle. I'm sure it's
    possible to get hurt, but with the type of dumb luck I have, you might
    not! Have fun:D

    --
    elmer - uniimpaired

    "At 40 life begins...to show."
    elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

  15. GILD

    GILD Guest

    interesting discussion

    i'd be curious to hear from the 8/10/12ft raffie riders

    --
    GILD - Waffle-Tosser and Time-bider

    if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
    alice 'roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) longworth
    I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- William H.
    Mauldin

    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)

  16. TheoELind

    TheoELind Guest

    Can anyone tell me how to free mount a giraffe? I don't have one, but my
    freind is going to get one for christmas, and it would be cool to
    freemount it once we were good. Is it like a normal mount, just many
    rotations backwards, or do you hop on like a suicide mount? I have no
    clue, just want some pointers.

    --
    TheoELind - 5 year schwinn rider
    TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

  17. GILD

    GILD Guest

    hit the search function
    there are some very stunning 'threads' (http://tinyurl.com/4uxuy) with
    step by step instructions on how to do it

    ha! found it!
    'this' (http://tinyurl.com/6mcm3) is the kewlest write-up of the raffie
    freemount u'll ever read

    --
    GILD - Waffle-Tosser and Time-bider

    if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
    alice 'roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) longworth
    I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- William H.
    Mauldin

    'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
    'Dave' (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)

  18. newtouni

    newtouni Guest

    It came today.

    5 ft is damn high. I only tried to ride it once. Did a "tree" launch",
    made about three revolutions, came off.

    It didn't seem so hard. Of course, three revolutions is hardly
    riding.

    See attached pic:

    | Attachment filename: uni_23dec04.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/258563|

    newtouni - Self Proclaimed Unicycling Dufus

    Download UniCalc
    (The Unicycle Calculator) free from
    http://www.ironjungle.com/
    newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465

  19. gkmac

    gkmac Guest

    newtouni wrote:
    > *5 ft is damn high. I only tried to ride it once. Did a "tree"
    > launch", made about three revolutions, came off.
    >
    > It didn't seem so hard. Of course, three revolutions is hardly
    > riding. *

    Sounds like what I call the "calibration" problem. Basically if you're
    used to one kind of unicycle then when you try a different one, whether
    it be giraffe, smaller or bigger wheel, then it does take some getting
    used to.

    Don't worry, it's normal.

    The best way to get around this is to ride holding onto a fence, or get
    someone to hold onto your hand and walk you along for the first few
    revolutions. Yes, this does like newbie territory again, but you only
    need this helping hand/fence for at most a minute or two to calibrate
    yourself, then you can slowly let go and ride alone in the air. It's the
    greatest feeling! :p

    Once you've ridden around for an extended period on the giraffe and
    return to your regular uni, don't be surprised if you wobble off that
    again. Again, a little calibration back to that will be needed.

    --
    gkmac - Never rides in public
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

  20. newtouni