My new Guru Photon has arrived. (the build with lots of pictures)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by MMMhills, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Motobecane

Motobecane New Member

what happens if you ride that bike in say 20 mph crosswinds? I'm a clyde so I will only have dreams of a bike that light, but that just seems INCREDIBLY light, I can't even fathom how light that is. My friends pick up my 21lbs road bike and are like "wow, thats light" obv they aren't cyclists but seriously, I just cant imagine a bike that weighs half of what mine weighs. I know when the wind blows my bike wants to get pushed around with my 240lbs on it and non aero wheels!

2. MMMhills

MMMhills Active Member

You lean in to the wind...... alot /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

3. MMMhills

MMMhills Active Member

I do love the snow but It can leave now. Here is a picture from this morning. I was going to take the pictures outside but the sun finally came out and it was to bright.
    [​IMG]

I normally get my first road ride in around the middle of March and the ten day weather report looks like the time is coming. I do not need warm weather just dry snow free roads.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. coneofsilence

coneofsilence Member

I have the same issue here, the roads are slick from melting snow and i get drenched from cars driving through pools of water. Fun!!

5. Born2bWild

Born2bWild Member

Very impressive!!! Now its time to kick some ASS in your race!!

6. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

best to avoid UCI races with that bike - I have a feeling you're near the weight limit/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif...

7. MMMhills

MMMhills Active Member

Last week it was nice (above freezing) and the roads were dry so I finally had a chance to get a few rides in. I must say that I was very impressed with the frame. I was expecting it to be a little flexy compared to my old Look. I was wrong this thing was much stiffer than expected. I think the biggest improvement was with the bars and stem. Even though I lost well over 100 grams the 3T stuff is very stiff and matched with the frame and wheels this bike climbs. I was very surprised at how much power went to the road when out of the saddle.

The hills in Northern Michigan better beware, I am coming for them.

8. ksalzberg

ksalzberg New Member

Great looking bike! One thing I'd like to you to look out for (and report if it happens): When I built my Seven, I had a SRAM transmission, except for a DA front derailleur. The DA derailleur broke within the first 6 months, was replaced (nice warranty service), and broke again a few months later - at which point I replaced it with the SRAM front, and haven't had a problem in two years. I've no idea why, and only the one data point and have wondered.

9. MMMhills

MMMhills Active Member

I have had all summer to ride my Guru Photon and have put almost 4000 miles on it. All I can say is WOW!!! I will say that this bike does turn heads and gets many compliments.

I did not want to post any reviews until I had a chance to post accurate ones with sufficient experience. I now have the time in the saddle and here is what I think.

The frame is very stiff almost to stiff for recreational riding which is what I do. You do feel the road but the power transmission is incredible. This is a trade I will take every time. I was a little concerned at how the frame would hold up, I mean come on it only weighs 738 grams. I can say the frame has held up fine, I even put it through a stress test a few weeks ago. I was climbing a 12-15% grade with a couple of stronger riders so we were pushing hard. I was out of the saddle when the chain snapped. I went straight over the bars so fast that I landed flat on my back still clipped in holding the bike. The forward momentum kept me rolling and the rear tire slammed on the pavement hard enough to cock the wheel in the dropouts. I thought for sure the frame or wheel would be damaged. I was wrong no cracks on the frame and the carbon ENVE wheels were still true. That says a lot about both products and there durability as they hit very hard.

As far as mixing components as mentioned above everything has worked great. I did think that the shifting might be compromised due to all the different components used to save weight but I was wrong the shifting (after break-in) has been crisp and clean.

I will post reviews for every component over the next few days so check them out in the review section if you are curious.

Here is a photo from a ride this summer. I can't pass a chance to show her off.
    [​IMG]

10. Born2bWild

Born2bWild Member

Stoked for you! Keep the updates coming... We are announcing the 2nd Annual CF review contest in a couple weeks! Try and win something else.

11. SantaYnez

SantaYnez New Member

Amazing bike!

I have a few questions for you....

I see you changed your handlebars - comparing your list with your latest photos. Why? Due to less weight? Did you ever try the Zipp handlebars?

Also - why the Zipp Crank and BB? are they lighter the Scrams?

And finally hows the bike?

J.