My new NRS 2 doesn't like going straight!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Chris T, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Chris T

    Chris T Guest

    Hi there, my first post!

    I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
    is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is not
    as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
    rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
    my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop the
    front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the process
    of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any thoughts on this?

    Chris.

    Tags:

  2. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Chris T wrote:

    > Hi there, my first post!
    >
    > I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
    > is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is
    > not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
    > rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
    > my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop
    > the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the
    > process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any
    > thoughts on this?
    >
    > Chris.

    Sounds kinda simple but check to see if your saddle is perfectly straight... if it is pointing in
    one direction slightly it might be causing you to lean you weight to one side ever so much forcing
    your bike to travel in that direction.

    Jimbo(san)

  3. Chris T wrote:

    >Hi there, my first post!
    >
    >I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
    >is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is
    >not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
    >rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
    >my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop
    >the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the
    >process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any
    >thoughts on this?
    >
    >Chris.

    Sumpin' ain't right. Have the shop pull out their frame alignment tool to check the front triangle.
    Have a look see at things like the fork and front wheel as well.

  4. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "Chris T" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there, my first post!
    >
    > I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that
    it's
    > alignment or something is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding
    > on the road.... but is not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight
    > difference because of the rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame
    > (compared to a medium like my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less
    > stable since I'm not overtop the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame
    > might have been warped in the process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with
    > it... is
    this
    > possible. any thoughts on this?
    >
    > Chris.

    Try checking the front wheel/handlebars alignment. You might have twisted the stem off to one side
    very slightly. As already mentioned, check the seat, the forks might be screwy, and get the guys at
    the shop to check the frame/wheel alignment. Only other thing to do is hang a heavy weight of some
    kinda from the right-hand side of the bike (I prefer a six pack) and see if that helps... ;-)
    --
    Westie

  5. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Chris T" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi there, my first post!
    >
    > I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
    > is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is
    > not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
    > rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
    > my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop
    > the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the
    > process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any
    > thoughts on this?

    It's called warpage due to the heat treating process. Some aluminium frames warp so badly, even
    maximum time on the alignment bench does not cure them. They may get it close, but that frame is
    always going to want to go back to its post-heat treating warped shape. Pay less, get less.

    JD

  6. Chris T wrote:
    > Hi there, my first post!
    >
    > I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
    > is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is
    > not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
    > rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
    > my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop
    > the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the
    > process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any
    > thoughts on this?
    >
    > Chris.

    Could be frame alignment, like the others have talked about. however, here's a few other things
    it might be:

    1) Are both tires seated fully? If one is a little bit off, it might cause the bike to "drift". Most
    likely the rear - undo the QR while the bike is sitting on its tires, hit the saddle a couple
    times, tighten.

    2) Are the cables coming from the bars either too short or a little too long? If you pick up the
    front end of the bike and the wheel always turns to one side, fairly strongly, look at the cable
    routing. See if any of the cables are taut, or if they're a bit long and seem to be "pushing".
    Probably not the answer, but it could be.

    3) Slightly twisted stem or handlebar? If the stem is a bit off center, that could do it. Also, if
    the stem wasn't welded properly (assuming it was welded), teh handlebars will be a little tilted,
    which could lead to that turning.

    Jon Bond

  7. Chris T

    Chris T Guest

    I reseated the wheels, didn't seem to do the trick. The bar looks to be centered in the stem (there
    is a white painted line that you can see. The cable routing seems fine too. When I did what Jon bond
    suggested (picking up my bike from the front), it didn't really seem to favor falling to one side.
    The stem isn't welded. Although it is not the one that comes on the bike. They gave me a Bontrager
    stem to use while the titec one comes in, because I wanted a shorter stem. From what I've
    experienced/heard before, Bontrager's products are garbage (sorry Trek enthusiasts!). So that may be
    the problem. Actually, HOPEFULLY that's the problem. It may also be the forks, as many of you have
    also suggested. I am going to take it in tomorrow and have the shop help me figure it out. It's odd,
    because I didn't seem to notice the problem on the bike when I tested it several times at the shop.

    you guys are awesome! I appreciate all of the replies. Hopefully I get this problem solved.

    Chris.

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Chris T wrote:
    > > Hi there, my first post!
    > >
    > > I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that
    it's
    > > alignment or something is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding
    > > on the road.... but is not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight
    > > difference because of the rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large
    > > frame (compared to a medium like my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be
    > > less stable since I'm not overtop the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the
    > > frame might have been warped in the process of welding it... or something else has gone funky
    > > with it... is
    this
    > > possible. any thoughts on this?
    > >
    > > Chris.
    >
    > Could be frame alignment, like the others have talked about. however, here's a few other things it
    > might be:
    >
    > 1) Are both tires seated fully? If one is a little bit off, it might cause the bike to "drift".
    > Most likely the rear - undo the QR while the bike is sitting on its tires, hit the saddle a
    > couple times, tighten.
    >
    > 2) Are the cables coming from the bars either too short or a little too long? If you pick up the
    > front end of the bike and the wheel always turns to one side, fairly strongly, look at the
    > cable routing. See if any of the cables are taut, or if they're a bit long and seem to be
    > "pushing". Probably not the answer, but it could be.
    >
    > 3) Slightly twisted stem or handlebar? If the stem is a bit off center, that could do it. Also, if
    > the stem wasn't welded properly (assuming it was welded), teh handlebars will be a little
    > tilted, which could lead to that turning.
    >
    > Jon Bond

  8. Tj

    Tj Guest

    "Chris T" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi there, my first post!
    >
    > Snip poor craftmanship>

    If it doesn't like going straight. Put it back in the closet.

    TJ

  9. Westie

    Westie Guest