My new NRS 2 doesn't like going straight!

Chris T

Guest
Hi there, my first post!

I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is not
as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop the
front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the process
of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any thoughts on this?

Chris.

Chris T wrote:

> Hi there, my first post!
>
> I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
> is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is
> not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
> rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
> my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop
> the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the
> process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any
> thoughts on this?
>
> Chris.

Sounds kinda simple but check to see if your saddle is perfectly straight... if it is pointing in
one direction slightly it might be causing you to lean you weight to one side ever so much forcing
your bike to travel in that direction.

Jimbo(san)

Chris T wrote:

>Hi there, my first post!
>
>I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
>is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is
>not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
>rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
>my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop
>the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the
>process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any
>thoughts on this?
>
>Chris.

Sumpin' ain't right. Have the shop pull out their frame alignment tool to check the front triangle.
Have a look see at things like the fork and front wheel as well.

"Chris T" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi there, my first post!
>
> I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that
it's
> alignment or something is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding
> on the road.... but is not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight
> difference because of the rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame
> (compared to a medium like my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less
> stable since I'm not overtop the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame
> might have been warped in the process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with
> it... is
this
> possible. any thoughts on this?
>
> Chris.

Try checking the front wheel/handlebars alignment. You might have twisted the stem off to one side
very slightly. As already mentioned, check the seat, the forks might be screwy, and get the guys at
the shop to check the frame/wheel alignment. Only other thing to do is hang a heavy weight of some
kinda from the right-hand side of the bike (I prefer a six pack) and see if that helps... ;-)
--
Westie

"Chris T" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi there, my first post!
>
> I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
> is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is
> not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
> rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
> my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop
> the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the
> process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any
> thoughts on this?

It's called warpage due to the heat treating process. Some aluminium frames warp so badly, even
maximum time on the alignment bench does not cure them. They may get it close, but that frame is
always going to want to go back to its post-heat treating warped shape. Pay less, get less.

JD

Chris T wrote:
> Hi there, my first post!
>
> I recently purchased a 2003 Giant NRS 2. Although I have noticed, that it's alignment or something
> is screwy. The bike seems to always want to pull to the left while riding on the road.... but is
> not as noticable in the bush. There is only a little bit of a weight difference because of the
> rotor/caliper on that side of the wheel. I also opted for a large frame (compared to a medium like
> my last bike), which may just be that the bike is going to be less stable since I'm not overtop
> the front wheel as much. Or, my last thoughts are that the frame might have been warped in the
> process of welding it... or something else has gone funky with it... is this possible. any
> thoughts on this?
>
> Chris.

Could be frame alignment, like the others have talked about. however, here's a few other things
it might be:

1) Are both tires seated fully? If one is a little bit off, it might cause the bike to "drift". Most
likely the rear - undo the QR while the bike is sitting on its tires, hit the saddle a couple
times, tighten.

2) Are the cables coming from the bars either too short or a little too long? If you pick up the
front end of the bike and the wheel always turns to one side, fairly strongly, look at the cable
routing. See if any of the cables are taut, or if they're a bit long and seem to be "pushing".
Probably not the answer, but it could be.

3) Slightly twisted stem or handlebar? If the stem is a bit off center, that could do it. Also, if
the stem wasn't welded properly (assuming it was welded), teh handlebars will be a little tilted,
which could lead to that turning.

Jon Bond

I reseated the wheels, didn't seem to do the trick. The bar looks to be centered in the stem (there
is a white painted line that you can see. The cable routing seems fine too. When I did what Jon bond
suggested (picking up my bike from the front), it didn't really seem to favor falling to one side.
The stem isn't welded. Although it is not the one that comes on the bike. They gave me a Bontrager
stem to use while the titec one comes in, because I wanted a shorter stem. From what I've
experienced/heard before, Bontrager's products are garbage (sorry Trek enthusiasts!). So that may be
the problem. Actually, HOPEFULLY that's the problem. It may also be the forks, as many of you have
also suggested. I am going to take it in tomorrow and have the shop help me figure it out. It's odd,
because I didn't seem to notice the problem on the bike when I tested it several times at the shop.

you guys are awesome! I appreciate all of the replies. Hopefully I get this problem solved.

Chris.

news:[email protected]...