My new progress

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by mr2turbo7, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. mr2turbo7

    mr2turbo7 Guest

    Ok about a week ago I could ride fas far as u ask, hop , gracefully
    dismount, and 180 unispin.

    well my unispin is not as good as it was last week.

    now i can freemount indefinately, and can hop SIF and hop 180 Seat in.

    Now i feel i am progressing fast. I have only ridden twice since last
    week.:D

    I will have a vid up later, hopefully.

    --
    mr2turbo7
    mr2turbo7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11414

  2. chosen

    chosen Guest

  3. podzol

    podzol Guest

    Nice job!
    Expect new skill to come and go. My spins are that way. Some days I can
    nail them and geep them going round and round, other days, I'm lucky if
    I get in one revolution!

    Keep it up and let us know what tricks you're up to. Free mounting is
    an essential, I'm sure you notice how handy it is already!

    --
    podzol

    THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
    Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
    Seeking riders and support.
    *http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  4. chosen

    chosen Guest

    podzol wrote:
    > Nice job!
    > Expect new skill to come and go. My spins are that way. Some days I can
    > nail them and geep them going round and round, other days, I'm lucky if
    > I get in one revolution!
    >

    > Keep it up and let us know what tricks you're up to. Free mounting is
    > an essential, I'm sure you notice how handy it is already!

    you mean unispin? dang work it mrs blake. you go girl

    --
    chosen

    respectfully,
    jonny
    'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/cw3lv)
    :)I LOVE THIS END UP:)
    open toed socks like we rock birkenstocks
    chosen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9281

  5. podzol

    podzol Guest

    chosen wrote:
    > you mean unispin? dang work it mrs blake. you go girl

    no I just mean spin.
    I don't have the nerve to uni spin.

    PS thanks for the go girl part. It's nice to feel recognized and
    appreciated :)

    --
    podzol

    THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
    Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
    Seeking riders and support.
    *http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  6. mr2turbo7

    mr2turbo7 Guest

    sorry no vid tonight, my fiance and I went to play some Hold Em' at a
    friends house. My next thing to learn is to idle pretty well so i can
    learn a 360 spin. the 180 was effortless and I landed it my 1st try.
    both Seat in and SIF. I think the basis to learning a lot of Freestyle
    tricks is to Idle well. Correct me if I am wrong but that just seems
    to be Logical to me. I bet with a little Effort I can spin the full
    360 but the hard part will probably be riding away from it.

    --
    mr2turbo7
    mr2turbo7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11414

  7. jsm

    jsm Guest

    Please forgive my skepticism, but I've been riding for over two years,
    and can do all kinds of really hard stuff, but I'm still only around
    60% on my unispins. I have a hard time believing you could learn to
    unispin at your level. So, by unispin, to you mean jumping up off the
    unicycle, spinning it 180 degrees and landing again, or do mean jumping
    up with the unicycle and spinning 180 degrees, or something else? This
    http://unicyclist.org/cont/play.cfm?pi=m3202401802seat is what a real
    unispin looks like. If this is what you can do, my heartiest
    congratulations!

    I don't think it what be quite correct to say that idling is the basis
    of most freestyle tricks. Don't get me wrong; idling is an important
    skill, but I don't think it's any more fundamental than wheel walking,
    seat out riding, backward riding, one-footed riding and hopping. To do
    much serious freestyle, you have to master all these basic skills.

    --
    jsm

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia

    "wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*" -chosen
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  8. mr2turbo7

    mr2turbo7 Guest

    Yes I can uni spin (180) The first day i was doing them I could land
    them pretty regular. yesterday iwas not so "on point" with my unispin.
    Yesterday I landed maybe 10% of my unispin. last week i landed about
    80% I can also 180 spin. As i also said in my last thread, I use to
    ride BMX and did a little flatland, and i also am pretty good on a
    pogo stick. (spins, twist, grabs, no foot, hands, backwards etc...)

    Maybe I should rephrase my statement about Idling. It seems like it is
    a lot easier to learn tricks if you can idle well and control your
    balance, rather than pedaling, stoping and then throwing a trick. I do
    also beleive that backwards riding has a great deal to do with ease of
    learning because if u cant ride backwards then when you start to fall
    backwards you maynot have the propper reaction to save the landing.

    --
    mr2turbo7
    mr2turbo7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11414

  9. im with jsm on this one, ive been rising for over a year and a half and
    can do loadsa hard stuff, but not unispin. can you post a video of this
    at somepoint? in the above post you said you landed it on the first
    day, but in your other thread you said you didnt land it on the first
    day :s
    if you can do it, and show us a video, i will be very impressed with
    your progress!

    --
    amanda.gallacher

    'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
    ChangingLINKS.com - 'Amanda rocks!'
    fcwegnm0b - 'Amanda you are awesome!'
    Chosen - 'i think...i...love amanda'
    [email protected] - add me
    amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

  10. Spudman

    Spudman Guest

    mr2turbo7 wrote:

    > Maybe I should rephrase my statement about Idling. It seems like it is
    > a lot easier to learn tricks if you can idle well and control your
    > balance, rather than pedaling, stoping and then throwing a trick. I do
    > also beleive that backwards riding has a great deal to do with ease of
    > learning because if u cant ride backwards then when you start to fall
    > backwards you maynot have the propper reaction to save the landing.

    This is actually, in my experience, true.

    Once I learned how to idle and ride backwards, I could save myself from
    falling over in just about every direction. When you get to doing some
    tricks it helps to be able to do this, otherwise you would just fall
    over.

    You want to be able to ride with comfortable control over your
    unicycle, and by being able to idle/ride backwards, riding becomes more
    like walking around in that it is subconcious and very easy.

    --
    Spudman

    *| B B|* This space owned by Fly ':cool:'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php)
    *| I O |* This space owned by Frees*TYLER!*
    *| L A |* *MERCYME owns this space!!!* . . . . . . . .
    . . . . . .*X* <--Chosen's spot
    *| L R |* This space owned by unijesse
    *|__'-' (www.selectric.org)____'D'
    (http://www.cathodecorner.com/nixiewatch/index.html)___|* This space
    rendered by forrest
    Spudman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10752

  11. gollum89

    gollum89 Guest

  12. dale_dale

    dale_dale Guest

  13. Ghandi

    Ghandi Guest

    jsm wrote:
    > Please forgive my skepticism, but I've been riding for over two years,
    > and can do all kinds of really hard stuff, but I'm still only around
    > 60% on my unispins. I have a hard time believing you could learn to
    > unispin at your level. So, by unispin, to you mean jumping up off the
    > unicycle, spinning it 180 degrees and landing again, or do mean jumping
    > up with the unicycle and spinning 180 degrees, or something else?

    I ask of what use is your skepticism?

    Best case it exposes a fraud about a trivial claim.
    Worst case it alienates an aspiring unicyclist.

    --
    Ghandi
    Ghandi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11424

  14. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    Ghandi wrote:
    > I ask of what use is your skepticism?
    >
    > Best case it exposes a fraud about a trivial claim.
    > Worst case it alienates an aspiring unicyclist.

    umm, Gandhi...you spelled your name wrong....

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  15. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

  16. jsm

    jsm Guest

    Ghandi wrote:
    > I ask of what use is your skepticism?
    >
    > Best case it exposes a fraud about a trivial claim.
    > Worst case it alienates an aspiring unicyclist.

    I wanted to make sure he understood exactly what a unispin was. His
    pogo stick and flatland BMX background makes the claim very believable
    to me.

    This is idling.
    http://unicyclist.org/cont/play.cfm?pi=m320240idleR

    --
    jsm

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia

    "wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*" -chosen
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  17. mr2turbo7

    mr2turbo7 Guest

    amanda.gallacher wrote:
    > in the above post you said you landed it on the first day, but in your
    > other thread you said you didnt land it on the first day :s
    > if you can do it, and show us a video, i will be very impressed with
    > your progress!

    I landed the trick on the first day of trying the trick... not riding a
    unicycle. sorry for the confussion. And i will be the first to admit
    (as I already have) that I am not the best at unispins, I just thought
    it was cool that I can do them so soon. A unispin is not hard at all.
    al it takes is some basic fundamentals and a bit of Nerve. the biggest
    thing stopping people from not beeing able to do a certain trick is
    usually not Physical it is mental. when I am trying to learn anything
    new, even if it doesn't have anything to do with unicycles, i just try
    to correlate it to something I already know how to do.

    --
    mr2turbo7
    mr2turbo7's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11414

  18. that sounds pretty good, you are right about the mental thing lol i
    understand the whole first day thing now ;)
    post a vid :p

    --
    amanda.gallacher

    'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
    ChangingLINKS.com - 'Amanda rocks!'
    fcwegnm0b - 'Amanda you are awesome!'
    Chosen - 'i think...i...love amanda'
    [email protected] - add me
    amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

  19. podzol

    podzol Guest

    mr2turbo7 wrote:
    > I am trying to learn anything new, even if it doesn't have anything to
    > do with unicycles, i just try to correlate it to something I already
    > know how to do.

    Isn't that important in just about everything we do!! Well stated!

    Keep us posted on your progress. I'd also like to know how your
    unicycling experiences help other challenging things in life!