My "new" Raleigh Twenty

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lenny Taylor, Mar 22, 2003.

  1. Lenny Taylor

    Lenny Taylor Guest

    I felt a need to brag about the Raleigh Twenty I just purchased. It's going to need a lot of tender
    loving care to get into shape, but it is all original and is all there. It looks like it sat in
    someone's garage for the past thirty years without being ridden. I rode a Raleigh RSW Compact when I
    was in High School (34 years ago!!) and have nothing but fond memories of
    it. So when this became available on eBay at a reasonable price, I jumped on it.

    I'm debating on putting it to original, or updating it with a Shimano 7-speed hub. I definitely need
    to update it to aluminum wheels with better brakes. It's a charming little beast though.

    Forgive my giddiness. It's a nice break from the thoughts of war. (My nephew is serving in the US
    Marines, currently in Iraq moving north.) For those of you in the group in the UK, you can't begin
    to imagine the good will that your Prime Minister has garnered for England. France on the other hand
    can go it alone the next time they need some help. Piss on em!

    Tags:

  2. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    --------------81DCE8D1D759DCDADD7ED3F6 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

    I managed to pick one up for GBP10 a while back for a project and have two Dawes Kingpins too.

    I expect you've checked our Sheldon Brown's Raleigh Twenty page at
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html

    but Guy Bouchard at http://www.cybertechs.qc.ca/prs/jgbouchar/twenty.htm

    is worth a look too. There are others of course such as Roy Bird at
    http://www.hpv.on.ca/hpvso/myhpvrb.htm

    It seems that the US and Canada are big fans of converting these old bikes into modern commuters.
    Reesycle at http://mysite.freeserve.com/longbowman/Reesycle_Home.html offers a British alternative.

    Good luck with project.

    Trealaw Boy.

    PS: Don't agree with you view of the War I'm afraid!

    Lenny Taylor wrote:

    > I felt a need to brag about the Raleigh Twenty I just purchased. It's going to need a lot of
    > tender loving care to get into shape, but it is all original and is all there. It looks like it
    > sat in someone's garage for the past thirty years without being ridden. I rode a Raleigh RSW
    > Compact when I was in High School (34 years ago!!) and have nothing but fond memories of
    > it. So when this became available on eBay at a reasonable price, I jumped on it.
    >
    > I'm debating on putting it to original, or updating it with a Shimano 7-speed hub. I definitely
    > need to update it to aluminum wheels with better brakes. It's a charming little beast though.
    >
    > Forgive my giddiness. It's a nice break from the thoughts of war. (My nephew is serving in the US
    > Marines, currently in Iraq moving north.) For those of you in the group in the UK, you can't begin
    > to imagine the good will that your Prime Minister has garnered for England. France on the other
    > hand can go it alone the next time they need some help. Piss on em!

    --------------81DCE8D1D759DCDADD7ED3F6 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> I managed to pick one up for
    GBP10 a while back for a project and have two Dawes Kingpins too.
    own.com/raleigh-twenty.html">http://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html</a><a
    href="http://www.sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-twenty.html"></a>
    <q>but Guy Bouchard at <a href="http://www.cybertechs.qc.ca/prs/jgbouchar/twenty.htm">http://www.cy-
    bertechs.qc.ca/prs/jgbouchar/twenty.htm</a>
    <r>is worth a look too. There are others of course such as Roy Bird at <a
    href="http://www.hpv.on.ca/hpvso/myhpvrb.htm">http://www.hpv.on.ca/hpvso/myhpvrb.htm</a>
    <s>It seems that the US and Canada are big fans of converting these old bikes into modern
    commuters. Reesycle at <a href="http://mysite.freeserve.com/longbowman/Reesycle_Home-
    .html">http://mysite.freeserve.com/longbowman/Reesycle_Home.html</a> offers a British
    alternative.
    <t>Good luck with project.
    <u>Trealaw Boy.
    <v>PS: Don't agree with you view of the War I'm afraid!
    <w>Lenny Taylor wrote: <blockquote TYPE=CITE>I felt a need to brag about the Raleigh Twenty I just
    purchased. It's going <br>to need a lot of tender loving care to get into shape, but it is
    all <br>original and is all there. It looks like it sat in someone's garage for the
    High School (34 years ago!!) and have nothing but fond memories of <br>it. So when this
    became available on eBay at a reasonable price, I jumped <br>on it.
    <x>I'm debating on putting it to original, or updating it with a Shimano <br>7-speed hub. I
    definitely need to update it to aluminum wheels with better <br>brakes. It's a charming
    little beast though.
    <y>Forgive my giddiness. It's a nice break from the thoughts of war. (My <br>nephew is
    serving in the US Marines, currently in Iraq moving north.) For <br>those of you in the group in
    the UK, you can't begin to imagine the good <br>will that your Prime Minister has garnered for
    England. France on the other <br>hand can go it alone the next time they need some
    help. Piss on em!</blockquote> </html>

    --------------81DCE8D1D759DCDADD7ED3F6--