My new ride!! 2011 Tarmac Comp

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by campbellj, Jul 19, 2010.

1. campbellj

campbellj New Member

I got rid of my litespeed to get something with 700c wheels instead. I originally had a deposit on a 2009 tarmac elite, but walked in the shop the other day and seen this 2011 tarmac comp. I love it, I've only got 90 miles on it so far, but I just can't believe how good and smooth this thing rides. It came with 2011 shimano 105 group in black, but I had them taken off and my sram components installed. Other than that everything is stock. I've got the new 105 stuff in a box if anyone is interested. I have no plans for it, but to sell it and save the money for future bike stuff.

The only 3 things I would have different is the white tires, they are black in 30 seconds, I have no clue why any bike maker would put white tires on a bike, and this saddle is not that comfy. My fizik saddle has carbon rails and will not fit, so I am stuck with this one until I get another fizik. 3rd is learning to deal with a little toe overlap.

Sorry about the crappy pic, my camera is not working so I only had my phone.

Tags:

2. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Nice steed nonetheless. :cool:

3. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Specialized hit the nail on the head with their Tarmac line up. nice, i've got one as well, older though.

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Nice bike. If you're getting ride of the new 105 group, the most profitable thing to do would be to part the group out on eBay. As for your problem with the Fizik saddle rails and the Specialized seat post clamp, contact Specialized to see if they have a different clamp. Given the popularity of saddles with CF rails, a lot of seat most makers are either making additional clamps or clamps that work with multiple types of rails. If they don't have such a thing, I would buy a different seat post instead of getting rid of a saddle you like.

I agree about white tires. They're about as attractive as white patent leather shoes.

5. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

to add on, your toe overlap, one of the things that bugged me at first when test riding my Tarmac, will pretty much automatically disintegrate with a few more rides.

The French would scream "Allez!! Aleez!!" meaning "faster faster" at the cyclists at the Tours and the way to do that was to bring the wheels closer together which in turn is your toe overlap on one of the world's fastest bikes and it's counterparts, the Specialized Allez and the Rouibaix and i'm certain on many others i haven't ridden.

Told to me by an owner of a local bike shop...or something like that.

eh.

6. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

damn that is SEXY!!!! :p

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Some bike shop owners have no idea what they're talking about.

8. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

this bike shop powner happens to live ,breathe and eat cycling, his being one of the oldest around and his shop having one of the fastest teams this town has seen but i was not implying that it was because people were shouting Allez! Allez! that Specialized went the route of a shorter wheelbase, i was just struck with the OP's and my own's original worry about toe overlap and i remember talking to this particular shop's owner about it and him telling me that story . how it relates exactly to toe overlap, i dunno but i had fun posting about it however no where it really went. :D

9. Bastiani

Bastiani New Member

The 2011 Tarmac comp, uses the same frame as the 2010 sl3..... for the price it is an amazing bike...

I was tempted on getting one, it a flat black color, $2400.... full 105 all around, but for that price i wanted more than 105....

10. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

Sweet looking bike! :cool:

11. TKOS

TKOS New Member

Nice bike. Ride well.

Yeah, white on bikes? Especially tires. My Devinci came with white bar tape, just as bad. Oh and one of those uncomfortable seats as well.

12. Mojo Johnson

Mojo Johnson New Member

Mmmmm.....Tarmac....

Sweet ride. I'm insanely jealous. I want one!

13. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

after seeing your bike last night it made me really start thinking about wanting a new one. I loved my bianchi as an entry level bike which is what I could afford and to be honest didnt need anything more as I started. (Probably still dont) but I WANT a new bike. I went to my LBS today and as of now I am between the specialized tarmak expert and a Ridley orion. As far as looks I find myself IN LOVE with the Ridley! BUT this will be a long time coming as I will need to save up some pocket change :)

thanks for the inspiration to spend more money!!:p

14. GT Fanatic

GT Fanatic New Member

I got a 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 and it had white bar tape. That white bar tape was black within a few rides. It sure looked nice when it was white, though...

Anyhow, much love for the Specialized Tarmac; very nice bike.

15. Aussie_Al

Aussie_Al New Member

sick bike man **jealous**

16. campbellj

campbellj New Member

Thanks for all the positive comments about my new bike. I still have no complaints about it at all right now, besides the white tires are fugly and I can tell a big difference in my old 650c Zipp wheels, and these heavy clinchers which can be changed, Started another thread about that though haha. This bike is great! The seat is getting more comfy now and I pretty much forgot about having toe overlap when I ride, so that's a huge ++

17. axio

axio New Member

Thanks for the update. I couldn't find your thread about the wheels.. Have you swapped the wheels now?
    How's the bike going?

Planning to buy the same bike today..

18. campbellj

campbellj New Member

Yea, I finally swapped wheels, actually twice now. The first set I put on were some 2010 Fulcrum Racing 1, which I found rode very very stiff, they handled well and the bearings were great, they wanted to roll forever, but a little too stiff for me.

Was at my LBS a few days later, and they hooked me up with a set of Zipp 404's, he gave me the option of tubies or clinchers, I chose the clinchers only because I had tubies on my Litespeed and it was not so fun getting flats, I test rode both and really liked the clinchers so I got them. These wheels made me remember why I loved my Zipp's so much on my Litespeed. Very Very smooth, absorb alot of road shock, roll forever, and even though they are a little heavier than the tubies, I think it's to my benefit, they seem to maintain speed better.

I also got rid of the white tires, well they are in the closet for backup. I burned through a set of Pro race 3's already, and now I am trying out the conti force/attack combo. I think the conti's will last longer and they ride "almost" just as well, if I was going to race I would use the Michelins.

Sorry you couldn't find the thread, it's hidden in this forum somewhere, anywho post a pic of your new bike when you get it, you are going to love it! It's a Great bike!!

19. Crocosis

Crocosis New Member

Very nice; I am afraid to even test ride a high end road bike because I will be forced to realize what I am missing!