My new ride has partially arrived

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by G.T., Jan 14, 2006.

  1. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Tags:

  2. jj1075

    jj1075 Guest

  3. Very nice. Doesn't look like a mountain bike, though.

    It looks like you have a good wide gearing range on the bike. If you
    get time, let's have some details of the build and how it turned out.

    What tires are you going to use on the bike and why did you choose
    them?

    I'm considering buying some 38mm Continental Twisters for off trail use
    which seem to be a cross version of the Continental Vertical Pro, which
    I really like. I've done a bit of singletrack on my cross bike, but the
    tires currently on the bike don't give me too much confidence.

    Dave Wissenbach

    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Trek Liguid 30

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    jj1075 wrote:
    >>>http://www.2fortheroad.net/soma2.jpg

    > http://www.2fortheroad.net/soma1.jpg
    >
    > Even though you can't tell from the pics, it's green<<
    >
    > Very cool....Although, it looks like it'll be a bitch gettin that chainline
    > all squared away with all the spokes and stuff in the way. ;)

    D'oh! I hope I don't do that when I really build it.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine

  5. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Very nice. Doesn't look like a mountain bike, though.

    It's just an original-style 29er.

    > It looks like you have a good wide gearing range on the bike. If you
    > get time, let's have some details of the build and how it turned out.

    I went with the double chainring setup since I'll be running an 11-32
    cassette. That's a Sugino crank with 48-34.

    > What tires are you going to use on the bike and why did you choose
    > them?

    Here's most of what I've received already with just a couple of the
    items still on the way. The only thing that I need to find at this
    point is a front brake hanger, preferrably one with a cable adjuster.

    60cm Double Cross in green with matching fork
    Sugino Swiss Cross Compact crankset 48-34, IRD Quad BB
    Salsa Bell Lap bars, cheap Nashbar 4 bolt stem, Cane Creek headset
    Ritchey Vantage Comp 700c 32 hole rims on WTB Speed XC hubs with DT
    spokes and brass nipples, and Speedmax 35mm tires
    Classic Suntour XC Pro seatpost and Flite saddle (my old stuff)
    XT 11-32 cassette and chain
    XT rear derailer (Ebay used)
    105 brake levers/shifters (Ebay used)
    Avid Shorty 4 brakes

    The tires came with the wheels, $100 for the pair with tires and tubes,
    couldn't pass them up. The tires measure about 32 mm, and it looks like
    I can fit a 50mm tire up front and about a 42 mm in the rear. So I may
    be able to take advantage of some of the newer 29er tires up front.

    Greg
    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter

  6. You got the wheel on wrong. Or maybe you wanted us to
    see the spider.

  7. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > You got the wheel on wrong. Or maybe you wanted us to
    > see the spider.

    I think the frame is on wrong.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter

  8. Well in my building the frame comes 1st. And I have
    done so many in my time.

  9. JD

    JD Guest

    Old school forest green...cool. Get that thing together already.

    JD

  10. Thanks for the description.

    The wide gearing range seems like a good choice -- my lowest gear is 34
    - 25 which isn't to good on the hills.

    Looks like you'll have a very nice ride.

    Dave