My new ride . . . Mike J, I'll leave you alone for a while now

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dsat, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Dsat

    Dsat Guest

    Well, I finally quit asking Mike J a million questions and spent some money on a bike. The company
    that I work for gave me $300 to spend on fitness related equipment. I thought that I had it
    narrowed down to the Lemond Alpe D Huez and the Specialized Sequoia Expert. Two different
    geometry-type bikes I know.

    For some reason, I just could not find that comfort level that I had before with the Lemond. I tried
    different frame sizes and stem lengths and could not find that sweet spot that I had on some earlier
    test rides. I am blaming it on my fat tummy getting in the way because I do need to ride in a little
    more upright riding position until the tummy starts to fade away. I have no complaints on the Lemond
    at all though. I did decide that I wanted steel.

    So, I went to another shop that carries Specialized thinking that I would get the Sequoia Expert. It
    is aluminum, so I was violating my rule that I just set. If that bike came in a steel version, it
    would have been mine. Of course, that was the bike where the tip of the seat kept hitting me in the
    legs (not enough reach) when I would climb in the standing position. They had a Specialized Allez
    Elite in the steel version in my size and I settled on that model. The Sequoia Expert is a comfort
    road bike whereas the Allez Elite has a little more aggressive geometry. The geometry was kind of
    between the Lemond and the Sequoia Expert. I will like it more when I lose more of the tummy.

    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03AllezEliteCrMo27&bl=road&my=2003

    Mike J, if you think that I asked you too many questions, you should talk to the bike shop. I walked
    in and every employee there new me. Kind of scary. I finally asked/annoyed the folks there enough to
    where the shop owner himself took over with me. They all were doing a good job with me because I was
    a difficult fit. I wanted a good road style bike with 50% comfort (somewhat upright riding position
    when I wanted) and 50% performance meaning enough room to climb while standing without the seat
    hitting me and a more aggressive riding style when I wanted.

    I am amazed at the difference that the clip-in pedals/shoes make. Wow!! I have not fallen yet due
    to them, but my day will come. One ten mile ride and I have successfully avoided eating any bugs
    as of yet.

    Mike J should get an award or something for answering my 2 million questions.

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I finally quit asking Mike J a million questions and spent some money on a bike. The company
    > that I work for gave me $300 to spend on fitness related equipment.

    You lucky SOB. Must be a nice company to work for.

    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03AllezEliteCrMo27&bl=road&my=2003

    That's a beautiful bike, Danny. Can't see anything I would change. The Allez has always been an
    excellent value. Looks like Specialized is continuing that tradition.

    Those Alex A-Class ALX320 wheels are *very* light. I have the ALX400's, which are even lighter.
    They're supposedly pretty durable, too.

    -Barry

  3. Waxxer

    Waxxer Guest

    Very nice! Keep it indoors when you are not riding it. When you are out riding and stop for
    anything, never let it out of your sight.

    ENJOY!

    "DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I finally quit asking Mike J a million questions and spent some money on a bike. The company
    > that I work for gave me $300 to spend on fitness related equipment. I thought that I had it
    > narrowed down to the Lemond Alpe D Huez and the Specialized Sequoia Expert. Two different
    > geometry-type bikes I know.
    >
    > For some reason, I just could not find that comfort level that I had before with the Lemond. I
    > tried different frame sizes and stem lengths and could not find that sweet spot that I had on some
    > earlier test rides. I am blaming it on my fat tummy getting in the way because I do need to ride
    > in a little more upright riding position until the tummy starts to fade away. I have no complaints
    > on the Lemond at all though. I did decide that I wanted steel.
    >
    > So, I went to another shop that carries Specialized thinking that I would get the Sequoia Expert.
    > It is aluminum, so I was violating my rule that I just set. If that bike came in a steel version,
    > it would have been mine. Of course, that was the bike where the tip of the seat kept hitting me
    > in the legs (not enough reach) when I would climb in the standing position. They had a
    > Specialized Allez Elite in the steel version in my size and I settled on that model. The Sequoia
    > Expert is a comfort road bike whereas the Allez Elite has a little more aggressive geometry. The
    > geometry was kind of between the Lemond and the Sequoia Expert. I will like it more when I lose
    > more of the tummy.

    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03AllezEliteCrMo27&bl=road&my= 2003

    > Mike J, if you think that I asked you too many questions, you should talk to the bike shop. I
    > walked in and every employee there new me. Kind of scary. I finally asked/annoyed the folks there
    > enough to where the shop owner himself took over with me. They all were doing a good job with me
    > because I was a difficult fit. I wanted a good road style bike with 50% comfort (somewhat upright
    > riding position when I wanted) and 50% performance meaning enough room to climb while standing
    > without the seat hitting me and a more aggressive riding style when I wanted.
    >
    > I am amazed at the difference that the clip-in pedals/shoes make. Wow!! I have not fallen yet due
    > to them, but my day will come. One ten mile ride and I have successfully avoided eating any bugs
    > as of yet.
    >
    > Mike J should get an award or something for answering my 2 million questions.

  4. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:32:21 -0700, <[email protected]>, "waxxer"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Very nice! Keep it indoors when you are not riding it. When you are out riding and stop for
    >anything, never let it out of your sight.
    >
    >ENJOY!

    Bikes are regularly stolen from inside homes and apartments. Sometimes they're even the reason the
    break-in. Lock the bike to something immovable when stored indoors.
    --
    zk

  5. DSat <DannyS[email protected]> wrote:

    : I am amazed at the difference that the clip-in pedals/shoes make.

    :)

    : Wow!! I have not fallen yet due to them, but my day will come. One

    Of course. On the lighter side, you are probably doing close to 0 miles per hour at that time.

    : Mike J should get an award or something for answering my 2 million questions.

    Varis (Who nowadays falls on bents while using clipless - btw, it hurts less ;)

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Varis (Who nowadays falls on bents while using clipless - btw, it hurts less ;)

    One place where a lowracer is unquestionably superior to any other type of BICYCLE is falling over
    at low speed. Unless you are unlucky enough to land on a sharp object, it does not hurt at all. :)

    On the other hand, I have "given blood" on quite a few very low speed falls while riding off-road
    on my MTB.