My new ride . . . Mike J, I'll leave you alone for a while now

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dsat

Well, I finally quit asking Mike J a million questions and spent some money on a bike. The company
that I work for gave me $300 to spend on fitness related equipment. I thought that I had it
narrowed down to the Lemond Alpe D Huez and the Specialized Sequoia Expert. Two different
geometry-type bikes I know.

For some reason, I just could not find that comfort level that I had before with the Lemond. I tried
different frame sizes and stem lengths and could not find that sweet spot that I had on some earlier
test rides. I am blaming it on my fat tummy getting in the way because I do need to ride in a little
more upright riding position until the tummy starts to fade away. I have no complaints on the Lemond
at all though. I did decide that I wanted steel.

So, I went to another shop that carries Specialized thinking that I would get the Sequoia Expert. It
is aluminum, so I was violating my rule that I just set. If that bike came in a steel version, it
would have been mine. Of course, that was the bike where the tip of the seat kept hitting me in the
legs (not enough reach) when I would climb in the standing position. They had a Specialized Allez
Elite in the steel version in my size and I settled on that model. The Sequoia Expert is a comfort
road bike whereas the Allez Elite has a little more aggressive geometry. The geometry was kind of
between the Lemond and the Sequoia Expert. I will like it more when I lose more of the tummy.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03AllezEliteCrMo27&bl=road&my=2003

Mike J, if you think that I asked you too many questions, you should talk to the bike shop. I walked
in and every employee there new me. Kind of scary. I finally asked/annoyed the folks there enough to
where the shop owner himself took over with me. They all were doing a good job with me because I was
a difficult fit. I wanted a good road style bike with 50% comfort (somewhat upright riding position
when I wanted) and 50% performance meaning enough room to climb while standing without the seat
hitting me and a more aggressive riding style when I wanted.

I am amazed at the difference that the clip-in pedals/shoes make. Wow!! I have not fallen yet due
to them, but my day will come. One ten mile ride and I have successfully avoided eating any bugs
as of yet.

Mike J should get an award or something for answering my 2 million questions.

"DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I finally quit asking Mike J a million questions and spent some money on a bike. The company
> that I work for gave me $300 to spend on fitness related equipment.

You lucky SOB. Must be a nice company to work for.

>
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03AllezEliteCrMo27&bl=road&my=2003

That's a beautiful bike, Danny. Can't see anything I would change. The Allez has always been an
excellent value. Looks like Specialized is continuing that tradition.

Those Alex A-Class ALX320 wheels are *very* light. I have the ALX400's, which are even lighter.
They're supposedly pretty durable, too.

-Barry

Very nice! Keep it indoors when you are not riding it. When you are out riding and stop for
anything, never let it out of your sight.

ENJOY!

"DSat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I finally quit asking Mike J a million questions and spent some money on a bike. The company
> that I work for gave me $300 to spend on fitness related equipment. I thought that I had it
> narrowed down to the Lemond Alpe D Huez and the Specialized Sequoia Expert. Two different
> geometry-type bikes I know.
>
> For some reason, I just could not find that comfort level that I had before with the Lemond. I
> tried different frame sizes and stem lengths and could not find that sweet spot that I had on some
> earlier test rides. I am blaming it on my fat tummy getting in the way because I do need to ride
> in a little more upright riding position until the tummy starts to fade away. I have no complaints
> on the Lemond at all though. I did decide that I wanted steel.
>
> So, I went to another shop that carries Specialized thinking that I would get the Sequoia Expert.
> It is aluminum, so I was violating my rule that I just set. If that bike came in a steel version,
> it would have been mine. Of course, that was the bike where the tip of the seat kept hitting me
> in the legs (not enough reach) when I would climb in the standing position. They had a
> Specialized Allez Elite in the steel version in my size and I settled on that model. The Sequoia
> Expert is a comfort road bike whereas the Allez Elite has a little more aggressive geometry. The
> geometry was kind of between the Lemond and the Sequoia Expert. I will like it more when I lose
> more of the tummy.
>
>
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03AllezEliteCrMo27&bl=road&my= 2003
>
> Mike J, if you think that I asked you too many questions, you should talk to the bike shop. I
> walked in and every employee there new me. Kind of scary. I finally asked/annoyed the folks there
> enough to where the shop owner himself took over with me. They all were doing a good job with me
> because I was a difficult fit. I wanted a good road style bike with 50% comfort (somewhat upright
> riding position when I wanted) and 50% performance meaning enough room to climb while standing
> without the seat hitting me and a more aggressive riding style when I wanted.
>
> I am amazed at the difference that the clip-in pedals/shoes make. Wow!! I have not fallen yet due
> to them, but my day will come. One ten mile ride and I have successfully avoided eating any bugs
> as of yet.
>
> Mike J should get an award or something for answering my 2 million questions.

Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:32:21 -0700, <[email protected]>, "waxxer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Very nice! Keep it indoors when you are not riding it. When you are out riding and stop for
>anything, never let it out of your sight.
>
>ENJOY!

Bikes are regularly stolen from inside homes and apartments. Sometimes they're even the reason the
break-in. Lock the bike to something immovable when stored indoors.
--
zk

DSat <[email protected]> wrote:

: I am amazed at the difference that the clip-in pedals/shoes make.

:)

: Wow!! I have not fallen yet due to them, but my day will come. One

Of course. On the lighter side, you are probably doing close to 0 miles per hour at that time.

: Mike J should get an award or something for answering my 2 million questions.

Varis (Who nowadays falls on bents while using clipless - btw, it hurts less ;)

[email protected] wrote:
>
> Varis (Who nowadays falls on bents while using clipless - btw, it hurts less ;)

One place where a lowracer is unquestionably superior to any other type of BICYCLE is falling over
at low speed. Unless you are unlucky enough to land on a sharp object, it does not hurt at all. :)

On the other hand, I have "given blood" on quite a few very low speed falls while riding off-road
on my MTB.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

Status
Not open for further replies.