My New Ride

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Sir Ride-A-Lot, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:03:06 -0500, "Sir Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:22:54 -0500, "Sir Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Jerry Everetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]...
    >> my new

    >> my
    >> >>

    >> >It wasn't the whole tag, but I fixed it.
    >>
    >> Why?
    >>

    >I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. All I wanted to know is
    what
    >people thought of my bike, not my lousy old Pontiac Grand Am which
    probably
    >would sell for less than the bike.
    >
    >In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, "Good Grief!"

    You didn't answer the question. Why did you change the picture?

    You did think about it before you did, right?

    p.s. I think your bike needs to be ridden rather than posed for generic static pictures.

  2. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:37:19 -0600, "Mojo Deluxe" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> What do you think someone would do with your license plate info anyway?
    > >>
    > >> Here are mine in case any nefarious people want to do their thing
    > with
    > >> them:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.paradigmhosting.net/UL8.27.03/Thill101.jpg
    > >>
    > >> http://www.petefagerlin.com/images/mtbynp.jpg
    > >>
    > >> Have at it!
    > >>
    > >Well duh! You post with a domain in your name. Hey, mind if I call
    > sometime?
    >
    > Sure thing.
    >
    > I have caller ID and privacy manager so have a great time with my answering machine.
    >
    > If that's how you get your rocks off so be it.

    Pete, I was kidding.

  3. P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:59:56 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"Jerry Everetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...

    > my new

    >>>pretty nice, maybe I am paranoid, but I would be reluctant to put
    >
    > my
    >
    >>>cars tag number on the net....
    >>>

    >>What's the difference between that and displaying them in public
    >
    > every time
    >
    >>you drive the car?
    >

    > Echo, echo, echo, echo, echo...

    Let me get this straight... You would display you tag, where somebody could get your name, address,
    birthdate, phone number, insurance information, and social security number. BUT, you block out your
    email address?????

    and yes, you can get all that and more from a tag number, my best friend is a police officer here in
    FL, and you see those little laptops in the cars??? just from a tag number comes all your personal
    info... in less than a second...

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:24:51 +0000, Jerry Everetts wrote:

    > Let me get this straight... You would display you tag, where somebody could get your name,
    > address, birthdate, phone number, insurance information, and social security number.

    How do you get all that information from a number plate?

    > BUT, you block out your email address?????

    Er, you what?

    > and yes, you can get all that and more from a tag number, my best friend is a police officer here
    > in FL, and you see those little laptops in the cars??? just from a tag number comes all your
    > personal info... in less than a second...

    Perhaps it's different where you're from, but usually those 'little laptops' aren't available to the
    general public. If you're really worried about the police accessing your information, may I suggest
    it's time to invest in one of these: http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

    BTW, your '?' key appears to be sticking.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

  5. Geedubb

    Geedubb Guest

    "Sir Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just back from a trip to Arizona for a conference and to pick up my new ride. Also gave it a spin
    > at Pemberton.
    >
    > Here's pics: http://www.schnauzers.ws/bike/

    Pictures of the ride at Pemberton would have been more appealing. <g> Did you ride any of the
    competitive course while your were there? And I didn't even think to look at your car let alone
    your tag.....

    Gary

  6. Flyingcoyote

    Flyingcoyote Guest

  7. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    > I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. All I wanted to know is what people thought of my bike,
    > not my lousy old Pontiac Grand Am which probably would sell for less than the bike.
    >
    > In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, "Good Grief!"

    I think it's lousy, :) and would be willing to save you some grief and take it off your hands
    for $1,000

    Paladin (are we back on track now?)

  8. bomba wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:24:51 +0000, Jerry Everetts wrote:
    >

    >>Let me get this straight... You would display you tag, where somebody could get your name,
    >>address, birthdate, phone number, insurance information, and social security number.
    >

    > How do you get all that information from a number plate?
    >

    >>BUT, you block out your email address?????
    >

    > Er, you what?
    >

    >>and yes, you can get all that and more from a tag number, my best friend is a police officer here
    >>in FL, and you see those little laptops in the cars??? just from a tag number comes all your
    >>personal info... in less than a second...
    >

    > Perhaps it's different where you're from, but usually those 'little laptops' aren't available to
    > the general public. If you're really worried about the police accessing your information, may I
    > suggest it's time to invest in one of these: http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html
    >
    > BTW, your '?' key appears to be sticking.

    Your right, these tools aren't available to the 'general public'. Plus I started this whole thing
    with "maybe I am a bit paranoid", **which is probably the case**. I was just pointing out that in a
    public forum, where it is highly likely that you may someday say something that could potentially
    trip the switch on an unstable person, I would rather he didn't have a picture of my house, and my
    car and my license plate. If you feel different, cool, that is what makes this such an interesting
    place. Feel free to post your personal information, I am sure nothing will ever happen, I like to
    err on the side of caution.

    Sorry for the multiple '?'. And I obviously don't block my email address, I just use a seperate mail
    specifically for this purpose.

  9. On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:24:51 GMT, Jerry Everetts <[email protected]> wrote:

    but I would be reluctant to put

    >> my

    >>>What's the difference between that and displaying them in public
    >>
    >> every time
    >>
    >>>you drive the car?
    >>

    >> Echo, echo, echo, echo, echo...
    >>
    >Let me get this straight... You would display you tag, where somebody could get your name, address,
    >birthdate, phone number, insurance information, and social security number.

    If you think that is possible, or even probable, why oh why don't you cover your plate when you
    drive around on the street?

    >BUT, you block out your email address?????

    I don't block out my email address but many folks do because of SPAM, not in an erffort to shield
    their identity.

    >and yes, you can get all that and more from a tag number, my best
    friend
    >is a police officer here in FL, and you see those little laptops in
    the
    >cars??? just from a tag number comes all your personal info... in
    less
    >than a second...

    So why don't you cover your plates in public?

    Damn this is funny stuff.

    p.s. I can't get all of that stuff because I'm not a cop and I don't have one of thos
    elittle laptops.

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:04:54 +0000, Jerry Everetts wrote:

    > Your right, these tools aren't available to the 'general public'. Plus I started this whole thing
    > with "maybe I am a bit paranoid", **which is probably the case**. I was just pointing out that in
    > a public forum, where it is highly likely that you may someday say something that could
    > potentially trip the switch on an unstable person, I would rather he didn't have a picture of my
    > house, and my car and my license plate.

    Too late. I already know where you live and your phone number.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

  11. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >You're braver than I am! :)

    Not really...but maybe I got a little jaded living for about 10 years in an environment where
    thieves don't even bother checking to see if anybody's home...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  12. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > RE/
    > >You're braver than I am! :)
    >
    > Not really...but maybe I got a little jaded living for about 10 years in
    an
    > environment where thieves don't even bother checking to see if anybody's
    home...

    Indeed. That happens here too. I guess I just don't like the thought of making it any
    easier for them.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Jerry Everetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:59:56 -0500, "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >>"Jerry Everetts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>news:[email protected]...

    > > my new

    > > my

    > >>What's the difference between that and displaying them in public
    > >
    > > every time
    > >
    > >>you drive the car?
    > >

    > > Echo, echo, echo, echo, echo...
    > >
    > Let me get this straight... You would display you tag, where somebody could get your name,
    > address, birthdate, phone number, insurance information, and social security number. BUT, you
    > block out your email address?????
    >
    > and yes, you can get all that and more from a tag number, my best friend is a police officer here
    > in FL, and you see those little laptops in the cars??? just from a tag number comes all your
    > personal info... in less than a second...

    To echo Pete again. I display mine every day in a public forum, the street! And feel free to email
    me any time. If I find it among the SPAM I'll respond.

    I saw a case of driving with expired tags and suspended license get thrown out of court once because
    the officer ran the tag number through his little laptop for no reason other than he just runs them
    to see what comes up. Judge said it was an invasion of privacy without probable cause. The girls
    license was already reinstated so she walked, well rather skipped gleefully out of the courtroom.

    Mike

  14. Gman

    Gman Guest

  15. On 1 Nov 2003 15:02:56 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:13:28 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> http://www.paradigmhosting.net/UL8.27.03/Thill101.jpg
    >
    >Mountain biking the best locations in the nation...
    >
    >Autocrossing a sweet 911...

    Autocrossing is boring IMO. Too much standing around and waiting for very little seat time.
    Relatively slow seat time at that.

    A real track is where it's at.

  16. Mojo Deluxe

    Mojo Deluxe Guest

    "P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 1 Nov 2003 15:02:56 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:13:28 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.paradigmhosting.net/UL8.27.03/Thill101.jpg
    > >
    > >Mountain biking the best locations in the nation...
    > >
    > >Autocrossing a sweet 911...
    >
    > Autocrossing is boring IMO. Too much standing around and waiting for very little seat time.
    > Relatively slow seat time at that.
    >
    > A real track is where it's at.

    Saturday night dirt tracking, a full contact sport.

  17. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:19:35 -0500, "Sir Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just back from a trip to Arizona for a conference and to pick up my new ride. Also gave it a spin
    >at Pemberton.
    >
    >Here's pics: http://www.schnauzers.ws/bike/

    Well donepuchorlipsownit!!

    Peace, Bill

  18. P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 1 Nov 2003 15:02:56 GMT, Gman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:13:28 -0800, P e t e F a g e r l i n
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.paradigmhosting.net/UL8.27.03/Thill101.jpg
    > >
    > >Mountain biking the best locations in the nation...
    > >
    > >Autocrossing a sweet 911...
    >
    > Autocrossing is boring IMO. Too much standing around and waiting for very little seat time.
    > Relatively slow seat time at that.
    >
    > A real track is where it's at.

    An IMO from Fagerlin is an oxymoron.

    news:<[email protected]>...