My new Sidi Genius 5's

rohc

Apr 23, 2005
Just recieved my new Sidid Genius 5's purchased from Probikekit. Amazing. I paid $200 for them, $130 cheaper than the best deal I could get from retailers in Sydney. Recieved them in 5 days from England.... Very impressed.

Took them for a spin today with some new Speedplay cleats adjusted with about 7 degrees of float..... I cannot describe how good these shoes feel, so light and the buckle and high security velcro system is wonderful not to mention just how good they look. Then again I guess anything would be better than the entry level shimano's I have been using for the past 18 months.

Lovin em..........
Sidi Sidi Sidi
R

rohc said:
Just recieved my new Sidid Genius 5's purchased from Probikekit. Amazing. I paid $200 for them, $130 cheaper than the best deal I could get from retailers in Sydney. Recieved them in 5 days from England.... Very impressed.

Lovin em..........
Sidi Sidi Sidi
R
Hey ROHC, great to hear you've done well. Did the $200 include shipping? If not, how much did it cost to have them shipped over?

$18.00 shipping.

So $218 all up. Sure beats $363.00 RRP. Even at 10% or 20% off RRP your way out in front.
Just make sure you go to a cycle shop and try a few pairs on to get the exact fit.

R

rohc said:
$18.00 shipping.

Just make sure you go to a cycle shop and try a few pairs on to get the exact fit.
and you wonder why the shop is more expensive.... :rolleyes:

rohc said:
Sounds like you work in retail Damian!!!!
Nope.
I just think it's a bit cheeky using your LBS as a free fitting service, then go online so they don't get anything in return on it.

rohc said:
This is not very nice if it's a deliberate move. AFAIK, this practice is frowned upon by most people.

I agree that Sidi is very very nice and I bought a pair from my LBS. Tried the various sizes and settled on one and paid the overhead with clear conscience. However, now I know the correct shoe size for me in the Sidi range, my next pair would most likely be through mail order. ;)

And just as well that I bought locally, a bit of teething problem with the buckle saw the LBS perform a warranty replacement of the buckle with no hassle.

I disagree Damo. As ROHC said, he saved $130. Just because he spent ten minutes trying on their shoes, should he really be expected to pay an extra $130 for his shoes? In my opinion, hell no!

dan4923 said:
I disagree Damo. As ROHC said, he saved $130. Just because he spent ten minutes trying on their shoes, should he really be expected to pay an extra $130 for his shoes? In my opinion, hell no!
The issue is whether ROHC went in with full intent to just use their service to lock down a shoe size and what he disclosed in terms of his intent. If he went in and informed the store staff that he intends to buy a shoe from mail-order, but just wanted to try a few sizes and the store assisted, then that's fine. But I'd bet he expressed his intent differently. I think there's a word that encompasses this behaviour.

Gentlemen,Gentlemen, Gentlemen
Let me assure you my intentions were honorable. Not to mention any names but the proprietor of my cycle shop where I have spent in excess of over 6,500 K this year on a new cycle and various accessories advised me as they DO NOT stock Sidi shoes to go on line and purchase. He could have easily slagged Sidi's and got me to purchase some Shimanos from his store instead.

I mentioned to another cycle shop that I was considering purchasing on-line and if he cared to match or come even close to the online price I would be more than happy to purchase..... but allas he did not want to play.

If it is the difference in waiting 5 days for delivery and saving myself $130 what do you reckon I'm gonna do (sure aint rocket science is it?) and secondly considering we get the raw end of the stick price wise here in Australia due to size of population compared to somewhere like the States, ask me If I feel bad? GET REAL!!!!!!!
If more people started doing this we may see a huge decline in the exorbedant prices we pay in this country for cycling gear.

All I can add is "GET WITH THE PROGRAMME!!!!"
Going to go an learn to spell exorbedant!!!!

R

rohc said:
I mentioned to another cycle shop that I was considering purchasing on-line and if he cared to match or come even close to the online price I would be more than happy to purchase..... but allas he did not want to play.
You can't blame LBS for that, the distributor plays a big part in that equation.

Further, you are asking a LBS to compete against an overseas mail-order store. That's hardly possible.

You live in a country, then there are certain benefits and disadvantages associated with that decision. Unfortunately for cycling, things are more expensive. From a similar angle, you wouldn't want your boss to also take a similar view and replace you with equally well qualified cheap foreign worker, would you?

In any case, glad you've got a nice pair of shoes. Sidi is good for a reason. :D

exorbitant

Get Firefox, it comes with a spell checker now and you can load a UK English dictionary so you can avoid the Americanised spellings.

rohc said:

You need to get a clue. The reason shops don't 'want to play' is because the online price is less than they are able to buy wholesale. So sure meet the price and lose $$. I'm sure there is something about that on the first page of business for dummies.

They can legally parallel import but then local distributors threaten (or worse) refuse to supply other product lines. The markup your LBS gets on product is very small, most of the smaller ones make ends meet out of service revenue.

So by all means haggle away and diss them on a public forum. I hope the next time you need an emergency repair or part etc that you show up to the LBS and they tell you to f$%k off.

--brett

Probikekit rules...got the exact shoes from them and have been delighted with the purchase from day one. Sideshow...a little extreme with the hatred thing in your last post given that our society is based around free enterprise.

FWIW, Probikekit are as good as any LBS when it comes to customer service. They will assist in any way with warranty claims and often send a replacement part/item FOC immediately.

I try and support the local industry, but I don't have the financial luxury of paying full price for all of the anciliary items that go along with riding, especially when there's such a huge descrepancy in price.
rohc, I bet you didn't have time to put your flame suit on when you innocently started this thread....:D :p

Wattsy Rules said:
Probikekit rules...got the exact shoes from them and have been delighted with the purchase from day one. Sideshow...a little extreme with the hatred thing in your last post given that our society is based around free enterprise.

You won't find a bigger supporter of the free enterprise system than me. I run a web hosting company, that by and large enables businesses to trade online. Similarly I regularly buy online. However what irks me in this is people leveraging the knowledge of the LBS, or using them as a free try on and fitting service with basically no intention of buying.

Here if the original poster had walked into the shop and said 'ok I can buy Sidi's online for $X, if you can match that I'd like to try some on'. It's all upfront. But no it was a case of try them on get a fit, then pull the line of price matching via the internet. Very very poor form.

If I buy online (and I do from PBK et al), any questions I have I'll ask them. As you've noted PBK provide good email based CS. Not window shop the local stores, getting all my pre-sales support then grass cut them.

--brett

SO glad I originally posted this.....NOT!!!!

Going for a ride....in my new Sidi's.

Over it.
R

Yes
Speedplay Zero cleats @ 20% off.
And this was from the guy who advised me to buy the Sidi's on-line.

P.s I think Sideshow Bob should take a chill pill and relax or go out and do a quick 30k's. I wasn't dissing the LBS at all. If you read the post correctly it was my LBS who advised me to buy on-line in the first place and I did end up as usual buying my cleats from them.

Next time I will put the teflon suit on before I post what I thought was a reasonable and very simple situation.

R

Often I use the reverse approach, use online tools -shops to see whats in the market place, and gain information, etc and if the item is supplied by a LBS go there to ask more questions, try on etc and purchase.

eg, I just saw on the Nike website some road shoes with carbon soles that can be walked in and compatable with SPD soles, Granfodo WRX, I think. I want to find a local supplier to try on and assess, and if good buy. That's turning out to be the hard bit.:confused:

rohc said:
P.s I think Sideshow Bob should take a chill pill and relax or go out and do a quick 30k's. I wasn't dissing the LBS at all. If you read the post correctly it was my LBS who advised me to buy on-line in the first place and I did end up as usual buying my cleats from them.

i'd already done 120 on the day i posted that and spent an hour doing intervals on the trainer, another 30 wasn't going to chill me out any more.

yes your lbs did say buy online, you seem to have skipped a part after that .. when you went to another shop. i'll put the question to you, when you went to that second shop, were you upfront before trying on and getting a sizing about buying from the internet if they couldn't price match, or did that conversation eventuate after you'd gotten your size?

--brett