My new Thorn raven Tour

Pinky

Guest
I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS Cycles
( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).

Drove it back to my sons home in Netheravon
pic no 1

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourA_small.JPG

I had a ride up and down the hills on Salisbury Plain just to see what it
was like and it rode like a dream. Quietly chuffed with it.

Drove back home to South Yorkshire on Monday morning and I have now done
about 50 miles on it with a deal of pleasure in both day and night
conditions.
this in my catless kitchen ( ie no room to swing one)

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourb_small.JPG

and by flash in the lobby of my flat underneath my VP2

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourE_small.JPG
http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourD.JPG

I think that SJS Cycles have mounted my "butterfly handlebars" upside down
but I shall alter them this w/e.

But the "feel" of the velo is absolutely just right. We seem to have slotted
together from square one and local hills this morning had the feel like when
I return from my 5 to 7 week annual tour -- ie v easy -- and I am carrying
the normal winter over indulgence weight.

The pics may need clicking on to see properly! Not used to giving link on
here -- sorry for any difficulties encountered.

Very happy with my buy -- but SJS Cycles were a bit uninterested when I
collected -- just another sale to them --but £1800 is a lot of pennies to
me! Just wanted me out of their way on carnival day! Hmmmmmmmm!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

"Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS
>Cycles ( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).
>
> Drove it back to my sons home in Netheravon
> pic no 1
>
> http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourA_small.JPG
>
> I had a ride up and down the hills on Salisbury Plain just to see what it
> was like and it rode like a dream. Quietly chuffed with it.
>
> Drove back home to South Yorkshire on Monday morning and I have now done
> about 50 miles on it with a deal of pleasure in both day and night
> conditions.
> this in my catless kitchen ( ie no room to swing one)
>
> http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourb_small.JPG
>
> and by flash in the lobby of my flat underneath my VP2
>
> http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourE_small.JPG
> http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ThornRavenTourD.JPG
>
> I think that SJS Cycles have mounted my "butterfly handlebars" upside down
> but I shall alter them this w/e.
>
> But the "feel" of the velo is absolutely just right. We seem to have
> slotted together from square one and local hills this morning had the feel
> like when I return from my 5 to 7 week annual tour -- ie v easy -- and I
> am carrying the normal winter over indulgence weight.
>
> The pics may need clicking on to see properly! Not used to giving link on
> here -- sorry for any difficulties encountered.
>
> Very happy with my buy -- but SJS Cycles were a bit uninterested when I
> collected -- just another sale to them --but £1800 is a lot of pennies to
> me! Just wanted me out of their way on carnival day! Hmmmmmmmm!

> www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website (sorry
but it includes a whinge)

http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page 2.htm

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.

Pinky wrote:

> Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website (sorry
> but it includes a whinge)
>
> http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page 2.htm

Very nice, I am jealous.

Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when
they're writing on a subject I know something about." (Keith F. Lynch)

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:43:55 GMT, "Pinky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website (sorry
>but it includes a whinge)
>
>http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page 2.htm

Stunning bike. All it needs now is some carbon bling.

If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
the front light bulb to 2.4w.

"Pinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS
>Cycles ( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).
>
> Drove it back to my sons home in Netheravon
> pic no 1

I hope you have zillions of miles of happy pedalling on your new steed.

Cheers, helen s

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 20:43:55 GMT, "Pinky"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Or just go to here to see the "Thorne raven Tour" page on my website
>>(sorry
>>but it includes a whinge)
>>
>>http://www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page 2.htm

> Stunning bike. All it needs now is some carbon bling.
>
> If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
> run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
> cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
> cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
> the front light bulb to 2.4w.

Tom

Yes tks for that.

I was considering doing it and wondered why they upgraded the front light so
that the hub dyno wouldn't run the rear light. I thought a downgrade might
help.

I have already mounted an additional "see me" flashing LED front light on
the handle bars, and a Halfords bulb horn.

I have only a rear rack mounted since I shall be towing a trailer on my
camping tours and just carry a light pannier for tools and wet weather
gear -- although, since I intend to head for Italy on my routine start date
of 19 May, I hope to have warmer weather all the way through my circular
tour next year

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Pinky wrote:
> I collected my new Velocepanther3 (VP3) on Friday 3 November from SJS Cycles
> ( a bit it traumatic cos it was Carnival day!).

<snip>

> Very happy with my buy -- but SJS Cycles were a bit uninterested when I
> collected -- just another sale to them --but £1800 is a lot of pennies to
> me! Just wanted me out of their way on carnival day! Hmmmmmmmm!

<sniff sniff> That looks *suspiciously* like a Rohloff.

<evil snipping>

> I have now done about 50 miles on it with a deal of pleasure in both
> day and night conditions.
> this in my catless kitchen

Cripes, 50 miles in a kitchen that small is good going ;)

Thanks for the kitchen shots - My Grandmother had matching plates and
dishes one of your bowls on the left <daydreams of beautiful, beautiful
cooking>.

p.s. four of the photos on your Santiago de Compostela page
<url:www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Page%203.htm> link to files on your
hard drive. Finally I work out why you call yourself Pinky!

Pinky wrote:

> I had a ride up and down the hills on Salisbury Plain just to see what it
> was like and it rode like a dream. Quietly chuffed with it.

Funny you should say that, I was toodling home from work earlier in the
week, and I just noticed how totally comfortable my Thorn Raven is.
Despite the cold and dark, I felt I could ride all night. I've
regular swept bars, fitted with Ergon grips + bar-ends, and additional
inboard bar-ends as well, which is very comfortable (I never liked
those German-tourist bars you have)..
Magura HS-33s are also a nice addition to the thorn for low
maintenance, effective stopping.
Also, I've been meaning to get a chainguard, like the Fahrradbau Noehl
one, but I email him and he refused to let me have one unless I agreed
to change the chainring & sprocket at the same time.

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
> run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
> cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
> cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
> the front light bulb to 2.4w.

Even if you use an LED rear lamp?

(I use 3W front and an LED rear, but it's a bit more homebrew than most
people want - but I do wonder about how much current the commercial ones
draw)

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> "Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
>> run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
>> cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
>> cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
>> the front light bulb to 2.4w.

> Even if you use an LED rear lamp?
>
> (I use 3W front and an LED rear, but it's a bit more homebrew than most
> people want - but I do wonder about how much current the commercial ones
> draw)

The standard setup for an all-LED dynamo powered BuM/SON setup (with
DToplight rear) is 2.4W front lamp. Presumably they have their reasons...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 8 Nov, 21:50, Don Whybrow <[email protected]> wrote:

> Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
> crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.

Anyone know where you can get a Rohloff-specific bike/frame like the
Raven Tour ? The only ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

SW

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:29:35 -0000, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> If you want to connect your rear light to the SON, it is trivial to
>> run a wire from the front lamp, following the route of one of the gear
>> cables, to the rear mudguard and then to the rear light by taping the
>> cable to the inside of the mudguard. You'll also need to downgrade
>> the front light bulb to 2.4w.

>Even if you use an LED rear lamp?
>
>(I use 3W front and an LED rear, but it's a bit more homebrew than most
>people want - but I do wonder about how much current the commercial ones
>draw)

I have a Seculite Plus, from the photos, Pinky has a Rearlight for
mudguard, both shown on:

http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/ruecklicht3-e

SJS are reluctant to wire up the rear light for some reason, and
upgrade the standard 2.4w Lumotec bulb with a 3w bulb.

My wording to Pinky was not great. The final sentence should have
been, "It is advisable to downgrade the front light bulb to 2.4w."

"Tom Crispin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> SJS are reluctant to wire up the rear light for some reason, and
> upgrade the standard 2.4w Lumotec bulb with a 3w bulb.

Well, it's easier for them to keep all the wires at the front, which means
cheaper. And battery LED rear lamps are pretty darn good these days - I'd
certainly have one in preference to a filament bulb rear lamp. And it gives
a better front light. So there's three reasons..

(not that I'd do that - but like I said before, my lights are a bit
home-brew)

cheers,
clive

On 9 Nov 2006 10:20:18 -0800, "SW" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 8 Nov, 21:50, Don Whybrow <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
>> crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.
>>

>Anyone know where you can get a Rohloff-specific bike/frame like the
>Raven Tour ? The only ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

There's nothing wrong with using SJS, so long at you're not looking
for mail order bargains. Their customer service is exemplary, even if
their postage and packing charges are exorbitant.

The Raven Tour must be one of the best bikes in its category and you
can expect an excellent standard of sevice. Just be prepared to pay
through the nose if you order extra bits of carbon bling to
accessorise your bike.

Lets face it the Thorn Raven Tour, with its Rohloff hub is at the cheap end
of the expensive bike market. It is nevertheless the most expensive bike I
have ever bought!
However I find it to be a good ride and my early experiences are totally
positive -- and the early short coming in the new gear hub are much as
forecast. I have done nearly 200 miles on it now and am very happy with it.

However I cannot but also say that SJS are, in this my one experience of
shopping with them, not very buyer friendly. My invoice was made out to "
Mrs" and they seemed only too pleased to get me out of their shop with
minimum fuss. As I mentioned before it was "Carnival Day" in Bridgewater and
it is, apparently the biggest event of its kind in UK. So I will temper my
criticism a bit.

I have found generally a lack of perception of the "value" or "cost" in
areas involving a large sums of money. £2000 ( the likely final "on the
road" cost of my new velo) is a lot of money to me. And as my sons wife said
on Friday evening last, " In the end it is only a bike!"

I think she had a point!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

news:[email protected]...

SW wrote:
> On 8 Nov, 21:50, Don Whybrow <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
>>crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.
>>

> Anyone know where you can get a Rohloff-specific bike/frame like the
> Raven Tour ? The only ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

Personally I have my eye on getting one built by Ben:

http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/853_commuter.shtml

The combination of Rohloff, Schlumpf & Schmidt gives me goosebumps.

OK I know he may not be the fastest to deliver, but ...

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Turn on, log in, fight spam.

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 20:41:45 GMT, "Pinky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Lets face it the Thorn Raven Tour, with its Rohloff hub is at the cheap end
>of the expensive bike market. It is nevertheless the most expensive bike I
>have ever bought!
>However I find it to be a good ride and my early experiences are totally
>positive -- and the early short coming in the new gear hub are much as
>forecast. I have done nearly 200 miles on it now and am very happy with it.
>
>However I cannot but also say that SJS are, in this my one experience of
>shopping with them, not very buyer friendly. My invoice was made out to "
>Mrs" and they seemed only too pleased to get me out of their shop with
>minimum fuss. As I mentioned before it was "Carnival Day" in Bridgewater and
>it is, apparently the biggest event of its kind in UK. So I will temper my
>criticism a bit.
>
>I have found generally a lack of perception of the "value" or "cost" in
>areas involving a large sums of money. £2000 ( the likely final "on the
>road" cost of my new velo) is a lot of money to me. And as my sons wife said
>on Friday evening last, " In the end it is only a bike!"
>
>I think she had a point!

No one would so much as blink if you spent £2000 on a motor vehicle to
take you 25 miles each way to work. And the price of an annual season
ticket Weybridge to Waterloo is £1,868; the distance, 25 miles.

SW wrote:
> On 8 Nov, 21:50, Don Whybrow <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Only after reading here about the ethics of SJS in the thread "He's a
>>crafty chap". I will have to do with sourcing my bikes and kit elsewhere.
>>

> Anyone know where you can get a Rohloff-specific bike/frame like the
> Raven Tour ? The only ones I can find are a lot more expensive.

I used a Surly Karate Monkey which worked ok.