My new used wheels: how good are they?

PCC

Sep 8, 2005
I bought a set of wheels from a co-worker who had them sitting in his garage for the past 10 years. They are Matrix ISO-C II rims laced with DT double-butted spokes onto a set of Campagnolo Record 36 hole hubs.

I know that Campy Record hubs are a standard by which other hubs are compared to but how are the Matrix rims?

These wheels are giving me a headache: I weigh 150 lbs and I plan on losing 10 lbs. My nephew has been riding my RB-1 and he's only 120 lbs. These wheels should be plenty strong enough for the both of us. The problem is that I would like to modernize the bike and the fact that the rear hub is not a freehub and 36 holes is a concern. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

PCC said:
I bought a set of wheels from a co-worker who had them sitting in his garage for the past 10 years. They are Matrix ISO-C II rims laced with DT double-butted spokes onto a set of Campagnolo Record 36 hole hubs.

I know that Campy Record hubs are a standard by which other hubs are compared to but how are the Matrix rims?

These wheels are giving me a headache: I weigh 150 lbs and I plan on losing 10 lbs. My nephew has been riding my RB-1 and he's only 120 lbs. These wheels should be plenty strong enough for the both of us. The problem is that I would like to modernize the bike and the fact that the rear hub is not a freehub and 36 holes is a concern. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!
Not if you can live with a 7 speed freewheel. 8 speed FW are available but aren't the real hot setup to to greater risk of bent axe.

PCC said:

Thanks!
Those Matrix ISO-II rims weren't known for their strength because they didn't have eyelets around the spokes. The pair I had in the early 90's lasted about 2 seasons until the spokes started pulling though the rim holes.

Not a big deal though. Just ride them until they fail, then have the wheels rebuilt with some better rims.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll just ride them until they break then rebuild them.