My New Years Disaster

RMiller

Guest
Gumbo was what I intended to make, a good way to start off 2005.

All my ingredients were together, and tho I have been nursing a cold, I was
ready to go.

Started with the roux, this is the key to the whole dish. You have to take it
slow and easy, I did, stirring constantly, for about an hour over low heat.
I watched it tun brown and was pleased.

Added the trinity and a few other things and put ot on simmer. Wait a minute,
I better taste it.... OMYGAWD , it was awful..... The oonly thing I can think
of that happened , is that I burnt the roux somehow. It did not look burnt, and
it did not smell; burnt ... The cold I have probably blocked my sense of
smell.

Yes, ended tossing the whole mess away. All the times I have made Gumbo, and
mine is delicious... usually.--- this has never happened.

2005 is not starting off well. Happy New Year to everyone though..

Rosie

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:28:13 +0000, RMiller wrote:

> Gumbo was what I intended to make, a good way to start off 2005.
>
> All my ingredients were together, and tho I have been nursing a cold, I was
> ready to go.
>
> Started with the roux, this is the key to the whole dish. You have to take it
> slow and easy, I did, stirring constantly, for about an hour over low heat.
> I watched it tun brown and was pleased.

I cannot fathom why it would take anyone near an hour to make roux for
a gumbo. If you have even heat distribution and are stirring it
constantly, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes tops to get to a
shade of brown that would be considered the right amount of cooking for
a gumbo roux. If you have any black specks in it, throw it out and start
over. If it's any darker than maybe a shade more than cardboard, throw
keep it, but use it for a stew. You want gumbo, not coffee.

GregoryD

On 2005-01-02, GregoryD <[email protected]> wrote:

> I cannot fathom why it would take anyone near an hour to make roux for
> a gumbo. If you have even heat distribution and are stirring it
> constantly, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes tops to get to a
> shade of brown that would be considered the right amount of cooking for
> a gumbo roux.....

Tell 'em, Greg!

It takes me about 8 mins to make a fudgecycle brown roux cooking at just
below smoking temps and constantly stirring with a hi-temp spatula in a
copper bottomed pan. OTOH, I've heard a hands-off approach is to do it in
the oven for about an hour. I don't recall the temp.

nb

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 04:12:51 +0000, notbob wrote:

> On 2005-01-02, GregoryD <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I cannot fathom why it would take anyone near an hour to make roux for
>> a gumbo. If you have even heat distribution and are stirring it
>> constantly, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes tops to get to a
>> shade of brown that would be considered the right amount of cooking for
>> a gumbo roux.....

> Tell 'em, Greg!
>
> It takes me about 8 mins to make a fudgecycle brown roux cooking at just
> below smoking temps and constantly stirring with a hi-temp spatula in a
> copper bottomed pan. OTOH, I've heard a hands-off approach is to do it in
> the oven for about an hour. I don't recall the temp.

I usually do mine for gumbo on medium-high heat and it usually takes 10-12
minutes to get the color I want. It can be a little more or less brown...
it's not an exact science, but if its dark brown or darker, you're
definitely going to taste it in the gumbo. I prefer to keep my roux a bit
lighter and use smoked meats if that's what I'm going for. Smoked turkey
necks and andouille made locally works great in this instance. Of course,
I live in shouting distance of New Orleans. :)

My dad thought he'd try since my uncle has gotten into cooking... apparently he
started out alright with the recipe my mom gave him, but the neighbor came
over and added another half cup of flour to it in the middle of his
cooking process... he ended up burning one half and kept the other half
raw. Yuck. Cajun men are normally fabulous cooks because they cook few
things, but cook them well... normally for the big get-togethers. My dad,
on the other hand, is not allowed to touch anything but the barbecue pit. :)

No two people do it the same. I, for example, have never really enjoyed
okra in my gumbo. I feel it's just filler at best and an unnecessary
thickening agent at worst. I do, however, demand that I make my own stock
before making the gumbo, and I highly dislike anything in there that I
have to pick out. So if I'm making a chicken or duck gumbo, I make a
stock first, then pick the meat off the bones and add them to the pot
later. I also tend to, when using crabs, to put a good bit of lump crab
meat in the pot, use some whole crabs to make the stock, then eat the
whole crabs later.

My mom doesn't use a stock; she adds water and Worcestershire sauce and
something else. My grandmother's is different still (I'm convinced she
adds a hefty portion of tomato paste... there are NO tomato products in
mine or anyone else I know), and my uncle's is like a toned down version
of mine, but he adds bay leaves whereas I tend to add a bit of gumbo file'
at the end just to flavor it up a bit and keep a bottle handy for others.
Some people don't know the difference between gumbo and courtbouillion,
but I'm not going to argue with them. :)

And here's something for you... next time you make a gumbo after easter
and you have all those leftover easter eggs, try it with shrimp, crab
meat, and hardboiled eggs that you have cut in half... a bit of the yolks
will dissolve into the gumbo, and the whites will soak up some of that
gumbo flavor. It is freaking delicious.

GregoryD

On 02 Jan 2005 00:28:13 GMT, [email protected] (RMiller)
wrote:

> Gumbo was what I intended to make, a good way to start off 2005.
>
> All my ingredients were together, and tho I have been nursing a cold, I was
> ready to go.
>
> Started with the roux, this is the key to the whole dish. You have to take it
> slow and easy, I did, stirring constantly, for about an hour over low heat.
> I watched it tun brown and was pleased.
>
> Added the trinity and a few other things and put ot on simmer. Wait a minute,
> I better taste it.... OMYGAWD , it was awful..... The oonly thing I can think
> of that happened , is that I burnt the roux somehow. It did not look burnt, and
> it did not smell; burnt ... The cold I have probably blocked my sense of
> smell.

Sorry to hear about that. I think you're right about your
cold affecting how it turned out.

> Yes, ended tossing the whole mess away. All the times I have made Gumbo, and
> mine is delicious... usually.--- this has never happened.

So, what did you do with the main attraction of your gumbo?
Was is a seafood gumbo? If so, you could have gone on to
make choppino.

> 2005 is not starting off well. Happy New Year to everyone though..

{{{virtual pat on shoulder}}}

2005 will get better when you are well again.

sf

>> I cannot fathom why it would take anyone near an hour to make roux for
>> a gumbo. If you have even heat distribution and are stirring it
>> constantly, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes tops to get to a
>> shade of brown that would be considered the right amount of cooking for
>> a gumbo roux.....

>Tell 'em, Greg!
>
>It takes me about 8 mins to make a fudgecycle brown roux cooking at just
>below smoking temps and constantly stirring with a hi-temp spatula in a
>copper bottomed pan. OTOH, I've heard a hands-off approach is to do it in
>the oven for about an hour. I don't recall the temp.
>
>nb

I have never heard of anyone making a nice nutty brown roux in 8 minutes. I
guess it is possible, I have always made mine very slowly , taking nearly and
hour, always perfect till now !!!!

I have heard there is a way to make it in the zapper, but I would never do
that, I guess I feel it has to have the Hands on approach to make it " right "

Different strokes, I think, But I am still astonished that one can make a nice
roux in 8 minutes,
Rosie

On 02 Jan 2005 19:01:15 GMT, [email protected] (RMiller) wrote:

>I have never heard of anyone making a nice nutty brown roux in 8 minutes. I
>guess it is possible, I have always made mine very slowly , taking nearly and
>hour, always perfect till now !!!!
>
> I have heard there is a way to make it in the zapper, but I would never do
>that, I guess I feel it has to have the Hands on approach to make it " right "
>
>Different strokes, I think, But I am still astonished that one can make a nice
>roux in 8 minutes,
>Rosie

If you have Paul Prudhomme's book, Louisiana Kitchen, he uses a method
which takes very little time. But it involves high heat...and very,
very close attention. I have done it his way a few times, and it
goes very fast from a light color to burnt, if you are not careful.
But it does produce a very good roux, if done right.

Christine