My newest homebuilt, a "Slow Racer"

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Rorschandt, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Just made rideable, my newest homebuilt I dubbed a "slow racer". It is low, but as for fast I don't
    know. With me powering it, it is doubtful it will be fast. Recently,I discovered that what I like
    the least about the last several reumbent two wheelers I've owned is that they place me too high
    above the ground. It feels precarious, and contributes to my liking trikes. This bike was designed
    with the following criteria:

    1)Seat height and crank position about the same as my tadpole trikes.
    2)USS
    3)Fairly simple to build with my limited technology
    4)easy chain routing with standard chainwheels, etc.

    Pictures are at http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/705677876 Click the thumbnails to get a larger
    view. On the bottom left of the screen are links to the other photo albums of trikes/bikes.

    I achieved most of my goals. The small amount of seat lowering achieved thru the frame design/build
    complications vs. a straight tube don't seem worth it. But I haven't ridden it much. The seat
    supports need some changes and handlebars moved forward a bit. Much easier to build than a tadpole!
    Thanks for looking at my stuff! rorschandt
    --
    May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
    strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or

    Tags:

  2. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    Let me congratulate you! Very, very nice looking bike! I hope you enjoy many happy miles on it;-)

    Edward Wong Orlando, LF

  3. Edward Wong

    Edward Wong Guest

    Whoops! I meant Orlando, "FL" not "LF".

    Edward Wong Orlando, FL (Got it right:)

    "Edward Wong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Let me congratulate you! Very, very nice looking bike! I hope you enjoy many happy miles on it;-)
    >
    > Edward Wong Orlando, LF

  4. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    I like the design, what type of tubing did you use and what is the total weight? Ben fox
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just made rideable, my newest homebuilt I dubbed a "slow racer". It is
    low,
    > but as for fast I don't know. With me powering it, it is doubtful it will be fast. Recently,I
    > discovered that what I like the least about the last several reumbent two wheelers I've owned is
    > that they place me too high above the ground. It feels precarious, and contributes to my liking
    trikes.
    > This bike was designed with the following criteria:
    >
    > 1)Seat height and crank position about the same as my tadpole trikes.
    > 2)USS
    > 3)Fairly simple to build with my limited technology
    > 4)easy chain routing with standard chainwheels, etc.
    >
    > Pictures are at http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/705677876 Click the thumbnails to get a larger
    > view. On the bottom left of the
    screen
    > are links to the other photo albums of trikes/bikes.
    >
    > I achieved most of my goals. The small amount of seat lowering achieved thru the frame
    > design/build complications vs. a straight tube don't seem worth it. But I haven't ridden it much.
    > The seat supports need some changes and handlebars moved forward a bit. Much easier to build than
    > a tadpole! Thanks for looking at my stuff! rorschandt
    > --
    > May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
    > strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near
    > or far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let
    > none by anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches
    > over and protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

  5. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    Sweet! Good job Dean! Looks fast to me! MikeB

  6. Ian

    Ian Guest

    MLB must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Sweet! Good job Dean! Looks fast to me! MikeB
    Looks like fun, but who is the guy sat on it? Looks like some left over hippy. :) Tadpoles
    still rule.

    --
    Ian

    http://www.catrike.co.uk

  7. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I like the design, what type of tubing did you use and what is the total weight? Ben fox

    Weight is not accurate as of yet, but in the neighborhood of 30lbs. the tubing is 4130(CroMo).

    ror

  8. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> scribbled the best he could
    news:BB9E2978.12315%[email protected]:

    > Looks like fun, but who is the guy sat on it? Looks like some left over hippy. :)

    Thanks.

    > Tadpoles still rule.

    Yes, but most people have yet to recognize that fact.

    -- ror May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether
    weak or strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible,
    near or far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let
    none by anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over
    and protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

  9. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    MLB <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Sweet! Good job Dean! Looks fast to me! MikeB

    Perhaps you can come over and make it go fast.

    ror

    --
    May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
    strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or
    far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let none by
    anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches over and
    protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

  10. Jerry Rhodes

    Jerry Rhodes Guest

    rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just made rideable, my newest homebuilt I dubbed a "slow racer".

    I especially liked the "gonad guard"

    It looks like it has the same seat height as my Bentech LWB uss. I don't have to give a "second
    thought" to going down because it crashes so fast I don't have time for "second thoughts".

    Nice job.

    Jerry

  11. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    A LWB Low Racer. Nice seat adjuster, I never liked skewers away. Are your rear dropouts Aluminum &
    or commercially available? I thought you had a preoccupation with a firm head & neck rest support?

    May all yer roads be freshly paved, going down hill and that 100 mph wind at yer back can't
    sure hurt.
    ***********************************
    "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just made rideable, my newest homebuilt I dubbed a "slow racer". It is
    low,
    > but as for fast I don't know. With me powering it, it is doubtful it will be fast. Recently,I
    > discovered that what I like the least about the last several reumbent two wheelers I've owned is
    > that they place me too high above the ground. It feels precarious, and contributes to my liking
    trikes.
    > This bike was designed with the following criteria:
    >
    > 1)Seat height and crank position about the same as my tadpole trikes.
    > 2)USS
    > 3)Fairly simple to build with my limited technology
    > 4)easy chain routing with standard chainwheels, etc.
    >
    > Pictures are at http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/705677876 Click the thumbnails to get a larger
    > view. On the bottom left of the
    screen
    > are links to the other photo albums of trikes/bikes.
    >
    > I achieved most of my goals. The small amount of seat lowering achieved thru the frame
    > design/build complications vs. a straight tube don't seem worth it. But I haven't ridden it much.
    > The seat supports need some changes and handlebars moved forward a bit. Much easier to build than
    > a tadpole! Thanks for looking at my stuff! rorschandt
    > --
    > May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
    > strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near
    > or far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let
    > none by anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches
    > over and protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

  12. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    nice looking bike, reminds me a great deal of the Reynolds weld labs Nomad. frame also looks like a
    lower version of the new burley LWB coming out.

    Jerry Rhodes wrote:
    > rorschandt <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Just made rideable, my newest homebuilt I dubbed a "slow racer".
    >

    > I especially liked the "gonad guard"
    >
    > It looks like it has the same seat height as my Bentech LWB uss. I don't have to give a "second
    > thought" to going down because it crashes so fast I don't have time for "second thoughts".
    >
    > Nice job.
    >
    > Jerry

  13. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "EVSolutions" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > A LWB Low Racer. Nice seat adjuster, I never liked skewers away. Are your rear dropouts Aluminum

    Yes. 6061-T6

    >& or commercially available?

    No. But they could be...

    > I thought you had a preoccupation with a firm head & neck rest support?

    I've yet to modify the seat for that. Also, I'm undergoing physical therapy, which may make that
    less of an issue.

    > May all yer roads be freshly paved, going down hill and that 100 mph wind at yer back can't
    > sure hurt.
    > ***********************************
    > "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

  14. jmm

    jmm New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2003
    > The small amount of seat lowering achieved thru the frame design/build complications vs. a straight tube don't seem worth it.

    BS! It wouldn't be as unique or oscenely beautiful with a straight tube.

    John

  15. Thats very interesting. I like your innovation and am planning to steal your idea of the Aluminum,
    rear, dropouts. :)

    Lewis.