My parents think I'm nuts

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by John Hardt, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. John Hardt

    John Hardt Guest

    Hi all,

    I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live on
    opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

    So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
    essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
    really does want to understand what their son is up to.

    John

    Tags:

  2. John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote in news:BA98B677.F375%[email protected]:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    > participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live
    > on opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.
    >
    > So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    > outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
    > essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
    > really does want to understand what their son is up to.
    >
    > John

    Two things:

    1) You are crazy, as is everyone who does an ironman. You seem to think it's a bad thing?

    2) This looked prety good for an overview:

    http://www.motionsportsmanagement.com/faq.asp

  3. I think the best site for Ironvirgins is http://www.trinewbies.com.

    Enjoy, Harry

  4. John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    >participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live on
    >opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

    Smart parents.

    Go buy a motorcycle - that will distract them.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  5. Have them read this book...

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1891369245/qid=1047770931/sr=8
    -2/ref=sr_8_2/103-6139573-8459038?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

    "John Hardt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA98B677.F375%[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    > participation in sprint and olympic races,
    but
    > they've never been able to attend a race (we live on opposite ends of the country) and now they
    > think I'm nuts.
    >
    > So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    > outsider what an ironman is, what the history of
    the
    > event is, what it takes to do one, etc - essentially what this sport is
    all
    > about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family really
    does
    > want to understand what their son is up to.
    >
    > John

  6. My son,

    I couldn't resist the temptation to comment. Nuts go great with sausage. Are they big or small?
    Smoking nuts while smoking sausage - now that's a treat!

    Fr. Guido

    news:<fHOca.10603$S%[email protected]>...