My parents think I'm nuts

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by John Hardt, Mar 21, 2003.

1. John Hardt

John Hardt Guest

Hi all,

I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live on
    opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
    essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
    really does want to understand what their son is up to.

John

Tags:

2. John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote in news:BA98B677.F375%[email protected]:

> Hi all,
    >
    > I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    > participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live
    > on opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.
    >
    > So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    > outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
    > essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
    > really does want to understand what their son is up to.
    >
    > John
    >
    >

Two things:

1) You are crazy, as is everyone who does an ironman. You seem to think it's a bad thing?

2) This looked prety good for an overview:

http://www.motionsportsmanagement.com/faq.asp

3. I think the best site for Ironvirgins is http://www.trinewbies.com.

Enjoy, Harry

John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BA98B677.F375%[email protected]>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    > participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live
    > on opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.
    >
    > So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    > outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
    > essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
    > really does want to understand what their son is up to.
    >
    > John

4. John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
    >participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live on
    >opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

Smart parents.

Go buy a motorcycle - that will distract them.

--
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

5. Have them read this book...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1891369245/qid=1047770931/sr=8
    -2/ref=sr_8_2/103-6139573-8459038?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"John Hardt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA98B677.F375%[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > participation in sprint and olympic races,
    but
    > they've never been able to attend a race (we live on opposite ends of the country) and now they
    > think I'm nuts.
    >
    > outsider what an ironman is, what the history of
    the
    > event is, what it takes to do one, etc - essentially what this sport is
    all
    > about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family really
    does
    > want to understand what their son is up to.
    >
    > John

6. My son,

I couldn't resist the temptation to comment. Nuts go great with sausage. Are they big or small?
    Smoking nuts while smoking sausage - now that's a treat!

Fr. Guido

"Frank Tantillo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<fHOca.10603$S%[email protected]>...
    > Have them read this book...
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1891369245/qid=1047770931/sr=8
    > -2/ref=sr_8_2/103-6139573-8459038?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
    >
    >
    >
    > "John Hardt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BA98B677.F375%[email protected]...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of
    > > my participation in sprint and olympic races,
    > but
    > > they've never been able to attend a race (we live on opposite ends of the country) and now they
    > > think I'm nuts.
    > >
    > > So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
    > > outsider what an ironman is, what the history of
    > the
    > > event is, what it takes to do one, etc - essentially what this sport is
    > all
    > > about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family really
    > does
    > > want to understand what their son is up to.
    > >
    > > John