My parents think I'm nuts

John Hardt

Guest
Hi all,

I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live on
opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
really does want to understand what their son is up to.

John

John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote in news:BA98B677.F375%[email protected]:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
> participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live
> on opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.
>
> So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
> outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
> essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
> really does want to understand what their son is up to.
>
> John

Two things:

1) You are crazy, as is everyone who does an ironman. You seem to think it's a bad thing?

2) This looked prety good for an overview:

http://www.motionsportsmanagement.com/faq.asp

I think the best site for Ironvirgins is http://www.trinewbies.com.

Enjoy, Harry

John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BA98B677.F375%[email protected]>...
> Hi all,
>
> I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
> participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live
> on opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.
>
> So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
> outsider what an ironman is, what the history of the event is, what it takes to do one, etc -
> essentially what this sport is all about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family
> really does want to understand what their son is up to.
>
> John

John Hardt <[email protected]> wrote:
>I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
>participation in sprint and olympic races, but they've never been able to attend a race (we live on
>opposite ends of the country) and now they think I'm nuts.

Smart parents.

Go buy a motorcycle - that will distract them.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Have them read this book...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1891369245/qid=1047770931/sr=8
-2/ref=sr_8_2/103-6139573-8459038?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"John Hardt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA98B677.F375%[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I recently told my parents that I'm registered for my first ironman. They've been supportive of my
> participation in sprint and olympic races,
but
> they've never been able to attend a race (we live on opposite ends of the country) and now they
> think I'm nuts.
>
> So, does anyone know of a good resource (preferably on the web) that will explain to a triathlon
> outsider what an ironman is, what the history of
the
> event is, what it takes to do one, etc - essentially what this sport is
all
> about in a couple of thousand words or less. I think my family really
does
> want to understand what their son is up to.
>
> John

My son,

I couldn't resist the temptation to comment. Nuts go great with sausage. Are they big or small?
Smoking nuts while smoking sausage - now that's a treat!

Fr. Guido

news:<fHOca.10603$S%[email protected]>...