My Pedal is stuck!

dan4923

Jul 5, 2005
I tried to take my pedals off today to (ironically) put some grease on but, to my dismay, found one of them is on damn tight. Any hints to getting them off? I've been trying some old fashioned 'elbow grease' but just ended up with a nice cut which resembles my crank.

Some pedals can take an allen key in the end and a spanner. You could try putting the arm in a vice and then using two people to loosen at the same time.

BUT MAKE 100% SURE YOU ARE TURNING IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION. otherwise you will really stuff it up.

As long as you are loosning THE PEDAL in the correct direction.
Have the correct size spanner for the job,Use a rubber mallet.
You can use a block of wood under the crank arm as to not dammage the BB.
Then give it a firm tap.

dan4923 said:
I tried to take my pedals off today to (ironically) put some grease on but, to my dismay, found one of them is on damn tight. Any hints to getting them off? I've been trying some old fashioned 'elbow grease' but just ended up with a nice cut which resembles my crank.
Never tried it, but saw a dealer heat up the end of the crank arm and spray a little Co2 on the pedal spindle. That did the job.

dan4923 said:
Just had the same problem. I took the crank off, brought it to my LBS, where they put it in a vice and were able to muscle it free.