My Power After 14 Months Off

zaskar

Aug 3, 2003
I over trained and burnt out, took off 14 months. I use to ride my endurance rides at 200 - 220 watts for 4 hours. I couldn't ride 200 watts for 20 minutes . Good thing is, I only managed to gain 6 lbs in the time off. After 8 weeks things are much better, 200 watts for 3 hrs 30 min.. and I lost 2 lbs. I know, I have a long way to go..

Good to have you back.

Do you do any racing or high intensity riding. Would be keen to see what you higher end power loss and recovery was.

Due to work I tend to be off the bike for prolonged periods (5 years at one point) and noticed that while my aerobic fitness took a huge hit my peak power was not very far off previous levels.

Thanks Fergie... all I have to compare is a 5 sec ..interestingly my best was 1143 watts when I raced, other day 1080 watts, first sprint 2010..Im only 138lbs and never have been a sprinter but, them numbers are not far off.. My FTP is down by 80ish watts :( .
I haven't done any high intensity efforts to compare yet..

I find that strength and anaerobic capacity is the easiest thing to regain. Aerobic capacity takes a lot longer. I am 80watts down on where I was 20 years ago. Also 30kg heavier so double whammy.

Hit the SST and you will be back in no time!!!