My Power Profile is Embarrassing

Steve_B said:
Neither do I. I tend to get more improvement in 30sec-3minutes from large doses of L5/VO2 training, actually.Can you explain what you mean by that? Do you mean in the sense of traditional peaking strategies, a lot of sprints and AWC work, etc?
Steve;

Yes. I found I could do 8-12 30-second intevals after an L4 or L5 workout without compromising my recovery. Give limited time train midweek, it was all I could do to increase CTL during peaking.

PaulMD said:
Yesterday I did two sprints. My best 5s power was 1115 watts, i will try to do some more sprints at the next easy L2 ride. Difference between the "winter" sprints and the sprints I did yesterday is: 1.) outdoor vs indoor and 2.) my weight dropped from approx 73kg to approx 68.5kg now. A drop from 16.6w/kg to 16.3 w/kg :) Hmmm, not bad. Last squat training en sprint training was in March this year.
See, you have more FT fiber than you think!

PaulMD said:
That's a big suprise for me too. Do you have a link or a name of the first author and journal?
I wish you all the best and I hope there is a solution.
I have been looking for the paper for over an hour and i still can't find it...

Thanks for the kind comment.

john

john979 said:
Thanks!
When I start road racing, I hope my 30s power is trainable :)

My power profile is now:
5s power: 16.3w/kg (based on two sprints on last Tuesday)
60s power: 7.7w/kg (only two times I had to go all out for 60s this year)
5min power: 5.4w/kg (Begining of May, Cote de La Redoute after 90kms of riding, it's also my 6MP)
20min power: 4.8w/kg (based on second 20min interval during last Sunday 2x20min)
60min power: 4.5w/kg (based on 60min NP during yesterday's 2x30min@L4+6.5min break)
powerprofile_v4.gif

john979 said:
Steve;

Yes. I found I could do 8-12 30-second intevals after an L4 or L5 workout without compromising my recovery. Give limited time train midweek, it was all I could do to increase CTL during peaking.
Oh, CTL. OK, I understand. You wrote "FTP" before. I was trying to understand how 30-sec intervals was helping your FTP. (Though I have seen research studies that suggest a benefit.)

Steve_B said:
Oh, CTL. OK, I understand. You wrote "FTP" before. I was trying to understand how 30-sec intervals was helping your FTP. (Though I have seen research studies that suggest a benefit.)
Also with the benefit of increasing FTP. This is consistant with the theory that adaptations are more intensity driven than duration driven.

More proof that I am not a natural sprinter:

My lazy, unathletic, fairly overweight(20-30lbs) friends can sprint(running) just as fast as me, and they both kicked my butt in a sprint (swimming) for a short 10 second burst.

I'm just a slow twitcher that loves sprinting. If you don't like sprinting, of course you won't make much improvement. It requires drive, focus and immense motivation.

Oh, and I was bench pressing 115lbs today. It hasn't improved because I hate doing it. I'm actually a little embarrassed at the gym, my arms are like toothpicks compared to most guys there.

There's nothing naturally fast-twitch about me.

velomanct said:
More proof that I am not a natural sprinter:

My lazy, unathletic, fairly overweight(20-30lbs) friends can sprint(running) just as fast as me, and they both kicked my butt in a sprint (swimming) for a short 10 second burst.

I'm just a slow twitcher that loves sprinting. If you don't like sprinting, of course you won't make much improvement. It requires drive, focus and immense motivation.

Oh, and I was bench pressing 115lbs today. It hasn't improved because I hate doing it. I'm actually a little embarrassed at the gym, my arms are like toothpicks compared to most guys there.

There's nothing naturally fast-twitch about me.
Have you charted your power profile like PaulMD?

john979 said:
Have you charted your power profile like PaulMD?
In the past yes, but I can only get current date for the first 1 columns right now. Although I could estimate the endurance columns as well, they would be low, like 4.6w/kg for 5 min and 3.8 for FTP. I'm about to go riding right now, when I'm come back I'll have some new data.

actually I'll draw it up right now. But it's going to bring on another big debate. I said there is nothing naturally fast twitch about me, but you'll see why I say controversial.

Where are you guys getting your 5 second readings from?

I ask because today on campus a bike shop had a tent up with bikes and a powertap sprint test on a trainer. Best peak was 1180, mine was only 1130. It took me 5-6 seconds just to get to PEAK!!! How awful of a measurement is that?! Well, we were using flat pedals on the bike, that hurt a lot.

Point is, sprint watts on a trainer are not comparable in any way to watts on the road. I was quite ****** I was in 1100s.....I do much higher than that on my own bike on the road. My powertap is calibrated, and accurate.

This also brings up another point. If some bum college kid could do 1180 (about the same as me), then that just goes to show how relatively average us road cyclists are. I am a slow twitcher, nothing special when it comes to natural sprint ability.

In short, your average, healthy 20 something guy has the capability to hit 20w/kg with a little training. (Not using data from a horribly limited stationary test with platform pedals).

I think.

This is very unscientic analysis. We really need to conduct tests in comparable conditions. I just think stationary bike sprint tests are VERY underestimating. The resistence is completely different than the real road.

This is some good reading. :D

I'm 3 and my best ever 5sec was 1270 (in training that is). I have yet to break 1000 in a sprint finish, even when the stars, moon, sun, and every other planet align and let me start a sprint while not anaerobic. ~72 kg.

gggossel said:
This is some good reading. :D

I'm 3 and my best ever 5sec was 1270 (in training that is). I have yet to break 1000 in a sprint finish, even when the stars, moon, sun, and every other planet align and let me start a sprint while not anaerobic. ~72 kg.
It's one thing to do 1200 w (for 5 seconds) when training. It a completely different thing to do it at the end of a race. The latter is much harder.

I don't think I've ever broken 1000 at the end of a race but I'll usually hit 1000 - 1200 when I go to my usual sprint spot and rip it up (usually from a standing start). That trend is typical - I don't know the exact physiology behind it but I think most efforts above threshold are often blunted when they come during an aerobic effort.

I agree.

I couldn't hit those numbers from a standing start if I wanted to. My best 5 sec numbers have come when running on a slight uphill motorpaced to about 25 mph in a 14 or 15- I can't remember which. The high numbers come at a very high cadence (and very low torque) in my case.

It's been a while since I did any sort of testing for testing's sake, but my 20 min isn't nearly as impressive. IIRC 295 with a 107 avg cadence rings a bell and that was last year some time. TT's and climbing aren't my thing.

...and I have never reached or topped my 20 min power during any race just for the record. One thing some people fail to realize is that you're not trying to do a form test during a race. The objective is actually quite the opposite. :p