My Program - Where do threshold workouts fit?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by woodgab, Mar 8, 2006.

1. woodgab

woodgab New Member

I'm looking for resources and suggestions. I don't think its time for a coach and I can't really spare much more than 8-10hrs a week in the on season, anyway. My question is about time maximization in preparing for short <20k TT's and pretty aggressive group rides.

My "operative" LT is 172. Over winter its been the trainer and Spinnervals for base at 150-160bpm and Carmichaels Time Trial DVD (Came with Cyclops). The CTS DVD is a one hour 3 X 5 min full on, with 3 X 5 rest in between. HR usually rises to the low 180's before concluding each 5min effort. I have no formal prescription for just banging away near LT.

What's missing?

Thanks,
    Chris
    (I wanted to meet Mr. Coggan the other night in Newton, MA, but was comitted to something else).

Tags:

2. Future-pro

Future-pro New Member

I'm aiming at similar races as well mostly the 10 mile time trial my weeks training plan goes like this

Monday is a weights session

Tuesday 4x5min reps above anerobic threshold with 2 mins rest in between each

Wednesday is an easy spinning day

Thursday is 30min just below lactate threshold level

Friday rest day

Saturday is a ten mile time trial split up into 7 sections basically 2x10min at race pace with a 2 min rest in between and then after a rest from the last 10 min interval 5 min at race pace to finish the course off

Sunday is a group ride usually doing above 60 miles

3. park

park New Member

After years of floundering inconsistently on my own I started using a coach last fall and I can't believe what a difference it has made. Check out his site and see if his approach fits for you. www.triathloncoach.com I don't do tri's but am on a cycling specific program with emphasis on time trials.

4. woodgab

woodgab New Member

Thanks for the link and replies. His rates didn't jump out at me. Would you be comfortable giving a ballpark $$. I am new to the world of coach pricing, would require one who is schooled in power meters and, more or less, doubted that given my scaled down level of involvement any would waste their time invariably omitting common aspects of training, for my lack of time (young kids).

I didn't mention I use a power tap and just bought another version of CPEAKs for my work machine.

Chris
    (I had a dream the other night that my trainer was my new "chair" at work, that'd fix things :p )

5. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

If you're looking for a coach who works with power meters, you could try us (RST) the forum sponsor. We have a range of coaching products starting from ~ US$50/UKĀ£30 per month for inexpensive coaching up to much higher levels for much greater interaction and a more indepth approach. You can see our services here http://cyclecoach.com/pageID-training.htm or feel free to ask me a question about our services, either here, PM or via [email protected]

Ric

6. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

I think people with limited time can benefit at least as much from coaching as someone with more time because a person with limited time has to get the most out of the time they have. IOW, you can't afford to waste hours of training time and energy doing things that aren't optimal.

One of the things I like most about having a great coach is that when I'm training hard I know I'm doing the right things and not wasting my time and energy.

Try a coach for a few months. Communicate early and often with your coach. You'll probably learn more stuff in a few hours of conversations than you could just by reading for dozens of hours.