My protest against the Highways Agency (Essex)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Fox, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Hope this explains it. The ba****ds have fallen into the elephant trap. The web page gives the
    necessary detail.

    *** PRESS RELEASE *** 11th JULY 2003 ***

    Big delays on A12 until Highways Agency climb down over cycle safety

    From Monday 14th July the A12 in the Witham area is likely to see long delays as Peter Fox, Witham
    safety campaigner, exercises his right to cycle along it in the rush hour. This is because the
    Highways Agency won't address the issues of incompetent engineering and bogus safety assessments.
    It emerged at the recent public enquiry into the Hatfield-Peverel to Witham link road that cyclists
    would be expected to cycle just 18" from the busy A12 without any barrier and a monster roundabout
    which is obviously extremely dangerous for cyclists "posed no threat to two-wheeled vehicles"!

    It is over seven weeks since writing to the Chief Executive of the Highways Agency (the government
    agency which looks after trunk roads) asking for action to deal with these issues of incompetence
    and bogus safety audits. Still no response (apart from a last minute irrelevant brush-off which only
    highlighted their contempt for the public). It appears the only way to deal with an arrogant
    organisation like this is to use direct action.

    Therefore Peter Fox will be continuing this protest until the Chief of the Highways Agency comes
    to Witham and delivers an action plan for making sure that cycle safety is properly dealt with
    in future.

    Peter Fox says : "Cycle campaigners are used to getting the brush-off from clueless highway
    engineers, but now we have a clear case of top management refusing to take action on very serious
    safety matters. I'm going to teach them a lesson they won't forget - Ignorance and arrogance is not
    an excuse for killing cyclists." He continues: "Basically the Highways Agency is dishonest. When
    challenged they give evasions and weak ‘maybes' but nothing ever happens. That's why I'm insisting
    the (acting) Chief of the Highways Agency to come in person."

    This is not simply a matter of a single road scheme but the rotten culture within the
    Highways Agency.

    The engineering details and the very simple requirements of the required Action Plan are on
    www.eminent.demon.co.uk/roadsafety.htm

    Peter Fox is a member of Witham Cycle Campaign, Colchester Cycle Campaign and is a business
    consultant.

    Contact Peter Fox Tel: (01376) 517206 Mobile: (But may not get answered for safety reasons)
    07776447651 [email protected]

    Note: The Chief Executive of the Highways Agency was Tim Matthews but he has just resigned to work
    in the public sector.

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the submarine business went under

    Tags:

  2. >A12 without any barrier and a monster roundabout which is obviously extremely dangerous for
    >cyclists "posed no threat to two-wheeled vehicles"!

    At a recent meeting where the HA "talked" about their plans for the A47, one of their bods in charge
    of this section said, "road users are motorists". I challenged him on this - reminding him that road
    users are more than motorists, but are cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders as well as those
    behind the sterring wheels of motorised transport.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. "Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > From Monday 14th July the A12 in the Witham area is likely to see long delays
    as Peter
    > Fox, Witham safety campaigner, exercises his right to cycle along it in the rush
    hour.
    > This is because the Highways Agency won't address the issues of incompetent engineering and bogus
    > safety assessments. It emerged at the recent public
    enquiry
    > into the Hatfield-Peverel to Witham link road that cyclists would be expected to
    cycle
    > just 18" from the busy A12 without any barrier......

    Do we really want roadside cycle paths at all? They just give motorists an extra excuse to want us
    off "their" bit of road!

  4. John B

    John B Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    > "Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > From Monday 14th July the A12 in the Witham area is likely to see long delays
    > as Peter
    > > Fox, Witham safety campaigner, exercises his right to cycle along it in the rush
    > hour.
    > > This is because the Highways Agency won't address the issues of incompetent engineering and
    > > bogus safety assessments. It emerged at the recent public
    > enquiry
    > > into the Hatfield-Peverel to Witham link road that cyclists would be expected to
    > cycle
    > > just 18" from the busy A12 without any barrier......
    >
    > Do we really want roadside cycle paths at all? They just give motorists an extra excuse to want us
    > off "their" bit of road!

    Agreed. However on some roads traffic levels and speeds have become so high that to cycle is an
    intimidatory and dangerous activity. That this situation has been allowed to develop is clearly
    wrong, but what is the answer?

    If cyclists are to feel safe on such roads, speed and traffic levels need to be reduced.
    Unfortunately I cannot see this happening in the car-speed-based culture that politicians pander to.

    Perhaps an answer is to classify such roads as motorways and to provide a safe *seperated*
    alternative route for non-motorised traffic.

    John B

  5. "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Agreed. However on some roads traffic levels and speeds have become so high that
    to cycle is
    > an intimidatory and dangerous activity. That this situation has been
    allowed to
    > develop is clearly wrong, but what is the answer?
    >
    > If cyclists are to feel safe on such roads, speed and traffic levels need
    to be
    > reduced. Unfortunately I cannot see this happening in the car-speed-based
    culture
    > that politicians pander to.

    I cycle on various roads with traffic moving at various speeds including 80mph plus, but generally
    i'm not that worried about the speed so much as the clerance distance they give me. If someone is
    going to collide with you the you will probably be wiped out if they are doing 50mph or 80mph, but
    statistics generally say that the risk of being hit by a car going the same way as you is pretty low
    compared with being hit by a car coming onto a juntion without giving way, eg roundabouts etc.

  6. Think what a critical mass could do on a road like that....

    Wallace Shackleton.