My Raleigh Record Sprint 650B/3-speed conversion

Luigi de Guzman

Guest
At long last, my Raleigh rides again--this time as a 3-speed, 650B
machine!

http://ouij.livejournal.com/248439.html

This has been a bit of a costly rebuild, and probably not all that
justifiable on a purely financial scale, but I'm REALLY pleased at how
the project has turned out. The bike has retained its nimble roadracer
manners, but has gained a much plusher ride on real pavement thanks to
the wider tires. There's plenty of clearance for fenders, when I get
around to adding them, as well.

The bottom bracket may be a bit lower--I worry a little about pedal
clearance. But the bike is just FUN to ride, and it puts a big grin on
my face.

This project, by the way, shows that not all Raleigh three-speeds are
heavy roadsters.

I'd like to give props to my various r.b.m and r.b.t. peeps out there:
Dane Buson in particular for the donation of an excellent Sturmey-Archer
AW hub.

Epicyclically,
Luigi

who crawls back into the law library to continue studying.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com

Very nice.

I just swapped mustache bars for drops on my road bike.
Much more comfortable, it's nice to sit up and look around.

Enjoy.
JP

On Oct 29, 12:01 am, Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
> At long last, my Raleigh rides again--this time as a 3-speed, 650B
> machine!
>
> http://ouij.livejournal.com/248439.html
>
> This has been a bit of a costly rebuild, and probably not all that
> justifiable on a purely financial scale, but I'm REALLY pleased at how
> the project has turned out. The bike has retained its nimble roadracer
> manners, but has gained a much plusher ride on real pavement thanks to
> the wider tires. There's plenty of clearance for fenders, when I get
> around to adding them, as well.
>
> The bottom bracket may be a bit lower--I worry a little about pedal
> clearance. But the bike is just FUN to ride, and it puts a big grin on
> my face.
>
> This project, by the way, shows that not all Raleigh three-speeds are
> heavy roadsters.
>
> I'd like to give props to my various r.b.m and r.b.t. peeps out there:
> Dane Buson in particular for the donation of an excellent Sturmey-Archer
> AW hub.
>
> Epicyclically,
> Luigi
>
> who crawls back into the law library to continue studying.
>
> --
> Luigi de Guzmanhttp://ouij.livejournal.com

Well done.

Now, if you just add a few drops of oil to it from time to time, you
have a hub that will pretty much last for ever.

If you ever think you are having trouble with it, check the cable
adjustment.

Lewis.

*****