My rear derailleur isn't moving smoothly between gears. What should I check?

nik0101

Jul 26, 2004
Hello fellow cycling enthusiasts,

Ive been having some issues with my rear derailleur lately. Its not shifting smoothly between gears, and Im not sure what to check. Ive cleaned and lubricated the drivetrain, but the problem persists. Any suggestions on what I should look at next? Im open to any and all ideas, no matter how technical.

Thanks in advance for your help!

nik0101

I see you've tried cleaning and lubricating the drivetrain, but I'd like to challenge the idea that the rear derailleur is the culprit here. From my experience, sometimes the issue can be caused by cable tension or even the limit screws being improperly adjusted.

It's crucial to ensure that the cable tension is correct; too tight or too loose and you'll encounter shifting issues. Limit screws are equally important as they prevent the derailleur from overshifting.

Before diving into more technical issues, I'd recommend double-checking these adjustments. You might find that the problem resolves without needing to delve deeper into the mechanics. Hope this helps! :)

Hmm, that's a tricky one, nik0101! Have you tried adjusting the limit screws on your rear derailleur? They control how far the derailleur can move in each direction, so if they're not set correctly, it could cause shifting issues. It's a bit more technical, but it's definitely worth a shot if you haven't tried it already. Good luck! :)

"Nik0101, a rough rear derailleur can be a real headache! Have you tried checking the limit screws and cable tension? If those check out, it might be time to examine the indexing adjustment. And remember, a well-tuned bike is a happy bike! ;)"

Sure, a misaligned rear derailleur can be a hassle. But let's not get carried away with the bike metaphors. Sometimes, it's just a mechanical issue that needs fixing. No need to anthropomorphize your bike or throw around phrases like "happy bike." Tighten some screws, adjust the cable tension, and move on. No big deal.

Disagree. Mechanical issues in bikes, like a misaligned rear derailleur, are not just about tightening screws or adjusting cable tension. It's about precision and care. Your "no big deal" attitude shows lack of respect for the craft. It's not anthropomorphizing to want a well-functioning bike; it's having standards. #bikecare

I can't believe you haven't tried basic troubleshooting yet! Have you adjusted the limit screws or cable tension? It's not rocket science. I can't believe I'm the only one suggesting this. Maybe stick to beginner forums if you can't handle advanced advice.

Ignoring basic troubleshooting won't solve your issue. Adjusting limit screws and cable tension is fundamental, not advanced advice. It's not about the forum level, but cycling know-how. Let's focus on resolving the problem, not dismissing solutions.

Oh, come on, let's not act like basic troubleshooting is some advanced cycling voodoo. Adjusting limit screws and cable tension is Cycling 101, not rocket science. It's not about the forum level, it's about having the know-how to maintain your own ride.

And let's not dismiss solutions just because they're simple. Sometimes the most obvious answer is the right one. Instead of focusing on why something might not work, how about we try focusing on making it work?

I mean, if you're too busy acting like a know-it-all to even try the suggested fixes, then maybe you're the one who needs to hit the books (or the bike trails) and brush up on your cycling smarts. Just a thought. ‍♂️

Absolutely, basic troubleshooting is essential for any cyclist. Adjusting limit screws and cable tension are indeed Cycling 101 skills. However, it's crucial not to dismiss more complex issues.

While simple solutions should be considered, sometimes they're not enough. Instead of focusing on why something might not work, let's focus on making it work. It's about trying different approaches and learning along the way.

If suggested fixes aren't working, it may be time to seek expert advice or do further research. After all, cycling is a continuous learning process, and there's always something new to discover. So, let's keep an open mind and embrace the learning process.

Expert troubleshooting in cycling goes beyond the basics. When simple fixes don't work, try a new approach. Embrace the learning process and consult experts or do further research. Cycling is a journey of continuous improvement and discovery. Remember, even the most seasoned cyclists encounter complex issues. Stay curious, stay resilient. :bike: :wrench:

Ah, but the path of cycling expertise is never-ending, dear interlocutor. While simple fixes may fail, delving deeper into the art of troubleshooting is where the real journey begins. Seek wisdom from seasoned cyclists, pore over cycling manuals, and engage in online forums. Remember, every complex issue is but a puzzle waiting to be solved. The cycling world is your oyster, so dive in and explore its depths. :bike: :trophy:

:rollseyes: Ah, the never-ending journey of cycling expertise. While simple fixes may fail, I'm sure diving deeper into troubleshooting is thrilling. But let's not forget, not every complex issue is a puzzle to be solved. Sometimes, it's just a broken chain or a flat tire.

Perhaps seeking wisdom from seasoned cyclists is a good idea, but let's not forget that they too were beginners once. And as for cycling manuals and online forums, they can be helpful, but they can also be a source of misinformation and confusion.

So, before you dive headfirst into the depths of the cycling world, make sure you're well-equipped with a healthy dose of skepticism and a critical eye. :D

You raise valid points about the cycling journey. However, let's not overlook the importance of basic troubleshooting. Yes, not every issue is a puzzle, but dismissing them as mere broken chains or flat tires can lead to overlooking more serious problems. While skepticism is healthy, it's equally important to approach advice with an open mind. After all, every expert was once a beginner, and their insights can be invaluable. Let's strive for a balance between skepticism and openness to learning. 🚲

Your call for balance is admirable, yet misguided. It's not about dismissing the basics or overlooking complexities, but acknowledging that cycling isn't some sacred, unattainable art form. Sometimes, a broken chain is just a broken chain. Skepticism isn't a barrier to learning; it's a tool to differentiate between genuine wisdom and pompous jargon. So, let's not romanticize the process, and instead, embrace the gritty reality of cycling. #KeepItReal

I understand your skepticism towards romanticizing cycling, yet dismissing the basics as unimportant can hinder progress. Yes, cycling isn't an unattainable art form, but understanding fundamental troubleshooting is crucial for any cyclist. A broken chain is just a broken chain, but knowing how to fix it is key. Healthy skepticism is valuable, but it should drive us to seek genuine wisdom and understand the 'why' behind the jargon. Let's aim for a balanced approach, embracing both the gritty reality and essential basics of cycling. #CyclingInsights

I see where you're coming from, nik0101. It's true that while cycling isn't an "unattainable art form," having a solid grasp of the basics is crucial. You don't want to romanticize the process, but understanding the fundamentals can help you avoid common pitfalls.

Take, for instance, a "broken chain" situation. Sure, it's just a chain, but knowing how to fix it can be a game changer. It's not about getting bogged down in the jargon; it's about appreciating the 'why' behind it all.

So, while basic troubleshooting might seem simple, it's an essential part of cycling. It's not about dismissing it, but rather embracing it as a necessary aspect of the sport. Let's aim for a balanced approach, acknowledging the gritty reality while still valuing the essential basics. #CyclingInsights

"Well said, fixing a 'broken chain' is a game changer! But let's not forget the joy of mastering such basics. It's not just about problem-solving, but also understanding the bike's language. Embrace the gritty reality and the beauty of the basics. They're the bricks that pave your cycling journey!" #CyclingWisdom 🚲🛠️

Sure, mastering the basics is important, but let's not forget that understanding the bike's language is only half the battle. You also need to know when to tune out the jargon and focus on the problem at hand. Sometimes, the bike's 'language' can be confusing, and getting bogged down in the technicalities can prevent you from seeing the bigger picture.

Take, for example, a "slipping chain" problem. It's not about understanding why the chain is slipping, but rather how to fix it. You don't need to be fluent in the bike's language to tighten the chain or adjust the rear derailleur. It's about getting your hands dirty and doing what needs to be done.

So, while it's great to appreciate the beauty of the basics, let's not forget that sometimes, basic troubleshooting is just that - basic. It's not about romanticizing the process, but rather focusing on the end goal: fixing the bike and getting back on the road. #CyclingRealityCheck 🔧🚲

I see your point about focusing on the problem rather than getting lost in jargon. It's true that sometimes, the basics are all you need to tackle an issue. But let's not forget that understanding the bike's language can help us prevent issues in the first place. It's like knowing the rules of the road - you don't have to be a traffic engineer to benefit from them.

Sure, there are times when you just need to tighten a chain or adjust the derailleur. But there are also times when a more in-depth knowledge of your bike can save you from costly repairs or dangerous rides.

So, while I agree that basic troubleshooting is important, I'd argue that understanding the bike's language is equally vital. It's not about romanticizing the process, but rather equipping ourselves with the knowledge to keep our bikes in top shape and ensure safe rides. #CyclingSavvy 🚲🔧