My retirement from this group

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Father Guido Sa, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. The tribe has spoken,

    I am disappointed that I was only able to muster one vote of support in public. Thanks anyway,
    Roger. At least you have a sense of humour and a zest for life.

    A man of my word, I will leave this newsgroup. If you'll lend an ear to the padre for a few
    parting comments:

    Some of you might be surprised to know how many of you have replied in private. The e-mail account
    is active and so am I. If you're ever feeling blue and need some comfort, send me a note.

    I'm disappointed at the amount of ego in this group. I had been warned by Rick Swanger and he's
    right. You boys take yourselves too seriously and think too highly of yourselves. Relax and enjoy
    the sport. You'll be a better cyclist because of it.

    Have a sense of humour. Life's too short. When you're old like me, you'll wonder where all the
    time has gone.

    Pax,

    Fr. Guido

    Tags:

  2. "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The tribe has spoken,
    >
    > I am disappointed that I was only able to muster one vote of support in public.

    <snip>

    The question you asked was whether you were funny, not whether or not you should stay.

    I think that if you have a desire to post, that you should stay. That doesn't mean that I think you
    are always funny. Sometimes it is, but when it's so overdone, it seems more like homophobia.

    >I'm disappointed at the amount of ego in this group.

    Why? Bike racing is full of ego. See the Masters Fattie category.

    BTW, ego and lack of appreciation for your sense of humor are not necessarily related.

  3. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:f7d97d[email protected]...

    > I am disappointed that I was only able to muster one vote of support in public. Thanks anyway,
    > Roger. At least you have a sense of humour and a zest for life.

    I know. That's why I'm a runner, not a cyclist. I joined a cycling club for one season and never met
    so many boring assholes in one place in all my life. Still, keeps them away from other sports :)

    Good luck, Father. Thanks for the laughs.

    Roger.

  4. Bart

    Bart Guest

  5. Bart wrote:

    > "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >. At least you have a sense of humour
    >
    > Many folks in here have one. And with pretty low standards too.

    do all belgians have this way with words, or is it just bart?

  6. Roger Hunter wrote:
    > "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> I am disappointed that I was only able to muster one vote of support in public. Thanks anyway,
    >> Roger. At least you have a sense of humour and a zest for life.
    >
    > I know. That's why I'm a runner, not a cyclist. I joined a cycling club for one season and never
    > met so many boring assholes in one place in all my life.

    If you'd quit counting assholes and looked just a tad higher you might make some friends in your
    cycling club too.

    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

  7. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > If you'd quit counting assholes and looked just a tad higher you might
    make
    > some friends in your cycling club too.

    But it was the assholes that were doing the talking...just like you.

    Roger.

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I am disappointed that I was only able to muster one vote of
    support
    > > in public. Thanks anyway, Roger. At least you have a sense of
    humour
    > > and a zest for life.
    >
    > I know. That's why I'm a runner, not a cyclist. I joined a
    cycling club
    > for one season and never met so many boring assholes in one place in
    all my
    > life. Still, keeps them away from other sports :)

    I can't dispute that the sport is full of high testosterone assholes who believe that if they can
    come in first in a training ride that they are Mario Cipollini. But if you look for a group with
    your own interests you can generally find one.

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Bart does have a certain talent.

    "heather halvorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Bart wrote:
    > >
    > > "Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >. At least you have a sense of humour
    > >
    > > Many folks in here have one. And with pretty low standards too.
    >
    > do all belgians have this way with words, or is it just bart?

  10. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > If you'd quit counting assholes and looked just a tad higher you
    might
    > make
    > > some friends in your cycling club too.
    >
    > But it was the assholes that were doing the talking...just like you.

    Had you been around this group long enough to know Per before making that assinine comment perhaps
    you'd have known better. Maybe that's why you couldn't handle those bicyclists.

  11. On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:20:31 +0100, "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Father Guido Sarducci" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> I am disappointed that I was only able to muster one vote of support in public. Thanks anyway,
    >> Roger. At least you have a sense of humour and a zest for life.
    >
    >I know. That's why I'm a runner, not a cyclist. I joined a cycling club for one season and never
    >met so many boring assholes in one place in all my life.

    Out of interest the club/area was...?

    Cheers! Stephen

  12. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >I know. That's why I'm a runner, not a cyclist. I joined a cycling
    club
    > >for one season and never met so many boring assholes in one place in all
    my
    > >life.

    > Out of interest the club/area was...?

    Carnoustie Cycle Club, East Coast of Scotland. But as I attended quite a few
    cycling/triathlon events during my time with the club, my comments apply to most East/Central
    Scottish racing cyclists.

    And don't even ASK about the amount of doping that went on AT CLUB LEVEL EVENTS. I really couldn't
    believe it. Still can't. What's wrong with you people?

    Roger.

  13. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    > > But it was the assholes that were doing the talking...just like you.
    >
    > Had you been around this group long enough to know Per before making that assinine comment perhaps
    > you'd have known better. Maybe that's why you couldn't handle those bicyclists.

    Sorry, Per. One of those cases when I'd typed and hit 'send' before thinking. Always a bad move.
    Apologies.

    Roger.

  14. On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:43:11 +0100, "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> >I know. That's why I'm a runner, not a cyclist. I joined a cycling
    >club
    >> >for one season and never met so many boring assholes in one place in all
    >my
    >> >life.
    >
    >> Out of interest the club/area was...?
    >
    >Carnoustie Cycle Club, East Coast of Scotland. But as I attended quite a few cycling/triathlon
    >events during my time with the club, my comments apply to most East/Central Scottish racing
    >cyclists.

    You know what they say, young man - "GO WEST!" - much more sociable (and a good night out at
    Bennet's after.)

    Cheers! Stephen

  15. On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 18:02:03 GMT, heather halvorson wrote:
    >do all belgians have this way with words, or is it just bart?

    He spends his working days doing sociology, now even political sociology; it's his job to have a way
    with words. Presumably doing a pretty good job of it.

  16. Steve McGinty wrote:

    > You know what they say, young man - "GO WEST!" - much more sociable (and a good night out at
    > Bennet's after.)

    Does Bennet's still have "Straight Night" on Thursdays?

  17. Goodbye, father.

    Harry

  18. Roger Hunter wrote:

    >>> But it was the assholes that were doing the talking...just like you.
    >>
    >> Had you been around this group long enough to know Per before making that assinine comment
    >> perhaps you'd have known better. Maybe that's why you couldn't handle those bicyclists.
    >
    > Sorry, Per. One of those cases when I'd typed and hit 'send' before thinking. Always a bad move.
    > Apologies.
    >

    > Roger.

    Certainly sir.

    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

  19. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Roger Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > And don't even ASK about the amount of doping that went on AT CLUB
    LEVEL
    > EVENTS. I really couldn't believe it. Still can't. What's
    wrong with
    > you people?

    Actually I hear this sort of stuff all the time but I've never actually seen any of it. Though I've
    seen a whole lot of people taking just about anything else they thought might give them an
    advantage.

    Personally I've even started shying away from taking vitamins because I started reading up on them
    and decided that the quality control leaves far too much to be desired. You can be taking all sorts
    of toxic crap with partically formulated vitamins and no one is checking.

  20. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    I've got to say - at the last Scots games I attended I spotted to very large Scotsmen athletes
    walking through the crowd holding hands. That certainly cooled my interest in the caber toss
    I'll tell you!

    news:[email protected]...