My revamped roadie is finally on the road

JayWoo

Nov 8, 2004
For that last 6 months or so I’ve been planning and finally building my new ride.

I’m not into “off the shelf” and couldn’t afford to do it that way either as I have had my heart set on a Cervélo R2.5 since they 1st came out back in 03/04. So the plan was to get the frameset and whack the not so old Ultegra 9sp & cockpit from my then current bits-a onto it. I also ended up buying a new Easton Orion II wheelset to replace the 3 yr old Mavic Ksyrium’s.

I looked into the whole custom wheel build thing, but it all got too hard getting the rim\hub combo that I wanted, so I took the easy road here.

A couple of weeks back I stripped the Groupset from the old bike and gave it a good old clean to get it lookin’ shhmick. I’ve had her on the bike stand in the bedroom putting her together like a kid with a model aeroplane. Time wasn’t too much of a problem as I was out with knee problems, which kept me off the bike anyway.

With the final bits going on Friday night, tweaking up the brakes and gears on the rollers Saturday night, Sunday was the 1st ride on her.

Still not up to speed in the leg department, I only took her for a 20km ride up Studley Park Rd\High St to get a feel on how she climbs, mmmm… noice. I was sporting a big grin the whole time! On the way back I noticed that the cranks had a little bit of play, but apart from that it’s running smooth as.
I’ve now got the perfect mountain goat for my 1st attempt on the Alpine Classic… just need the meat motor to power her now!

And of course there was a photo shoot before the 1st ride;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywoo/

JayWoo said:
I also ended up buying a new Easton Orion II wheelset

Is the rim colour scheme deliberate or fortunate? Either way, looks sweet.

essendon93 said:
Thats a sweeeett looking ride. What gearing are you going to use for the alpine?
No change form what I normally run, 12-27 with 39-53.

aeek said:
Is the rim colour scheme deliberate or fortunate? Either way, looks sweet.
Yeah, I'm seriously thinkin' of pulling off the Easton stickers. I'm not used to so much colour:confused: Though it was down to the technical spec of the wheelset that sold me in the end. The colour scheme was a bonus.