My right foot is killing me

Rick_G

Jul 30, 2006
Do any of you guys/gals have advice for an aching foot? The right side bottom of my right foot aches with excruciating pain right after I ride. I've tried adjusting the cleat. I try wiggling my toes while I ride. Nothing seems to help. Toward the end of even a short few mile ride the foot is cramping up. And when I get off the bike I can hardly walk. I'm riding with Sidi shoes on Look Keo classic pedals.

Any remedies you know of?
confused.gif

Thanks!

Rick_G said:
I'm riding with Sidi shoes on Look Keo classic pedals.
What is the newest part of the equation:
the pain?
the shoes?
the pedals?

Or is everything new?

I sometimes get a foot cramp if my shoe is too tight.

[left said:
_Dog]What is the newest part of the equation:
[/left]
the pain?
the shoes?
the pedals?

Or is everything new?

I sometimes get a foot cramp if my shoe is too tight.
I have always had this condition. Sometimes it is worse than others, but it ALWAYS exists. I assume it is an anatomical issue of my foot. However I don't experience foot pain at any other time than riding.

BTW, I have tried loosening my velcro on my shoe to try to get some relief. Still get a bad cramp.

Are there any shoes, shoe inserts, pedals, etc that are known to help with this???

Thanks

One more question...

Is there any technique for cleat adjustment that might help to minimize this condition?

Rick_G said:
Do any of you guys/gals have advice for an aching foot? The right side bottom of my right foot aches with excruciating pain right after I ride. I've tried adjusting the cleat. I try wiggling my toes while I ride. Nothing seems to help. Toward the end of even a short few mile ride the foot is cramping up. And when I get off the bike I can hardly walk. I'm riding with Sidi shoes on Look Keo classic pedals.
I will experience something similar if I take a lot of time off the bike. The outside of my foot to the side of the arch will be quite painful. My problem always goes away after a couple rides. I assume it is related to my foot not being used to the pressure.

I use Sidi shoes also. In my case I think the straps that wrap around the shoe and connect to the sole do not yeild as much as the surrounding fabric, which causes discomfort until my foot becomes used to it.

Try relaxing your toes. I'll bet you are scrunching them up. Also, during rest stops, if you take them, remove the shoe and massaging the foot. I have the same problem in hockey skates.

I had a very similar issue when I changed from Specialized shoes to Sidi. Turns out arch support helped. I took the pad out of the specialized show and put it in the Sidi and my foot feels great. Try getting more arch support.

iPAQsRock said:
I had a very similar issue when I changed from Specialized shoes to Sidi. Turns out arch support helped. I took the pad out of the specialized show and put it in the Sidi and my foot feels great. Try getting more arch support.
Any thoughts on what type of insert could provide more arch support and still fit inside the shoe?

I just swapped my Specialized shoe liner with the Sidi liner as it had more arch support. I would think most any shoe store would sell shoe liners with different degrees of arch.

Rick_G said:
Any thoughts on what type of insert could provide more arch support and still fit inside the shoe?

Yes, Dr Scholls will fit, I had the same problem a couple of years ago, I bought some Dr Scholls gel inserts and have never had a problem since..they're cheap and worth a try...$14 I think??

Good luck!!

There was a day I did a 5 hour hike, and then went rock climbing that night (not cycling, I know) and about 30 minutes after I went climbing, my foot starting hurting really bad (on the inside, near the arch) and eventualy got so bad it was difficult to walk. It stayed this way for a week, and it hurt enough that cycling was very difficult. I finnaly said to hell with it, put my orthotics in my cycling shoes, and did a 105 mile ride I was planning on doing. After the ride, there was NO pain in my foot at all. Since then I've never ridden without my orthotics, and I've never had any pain at all. My knees hurt less (sometimes not at all) on long rides, and my form is MUCH better.

I get the same problem, but with both feet!!! It hurts a bit at the "ball" of my feet.:mad: . After riding I sometimes have a slight pain in my shins, above the ankle and below the calf. Can the guys in the bike shop sort this out? or is it lack of pratice?:confused: Im riding about 180km during the weekend with no week day outings.

Rick_G said:

Any remedies you know of?
confused.gif

Thanks!
Relaxing your foot is important. Also, pay attention to your pedal stroke and if you are putting all of your effort into the downstroke. Sometimes my foot will push towards the front of my shoes, causing them to become tighter and then the blood flow is restricted. I try not to overtighten my shoes due to my feet sweating pretty heavily and allowing for expansion and wetness - but I do try to tighten them enough to keep my heel planted firmly in position within the shoe. Pay attention to your pedaling style - maybe you do need a different type of shoe.