My second cat 4 race - another video for you guys to watch.

Wow, snow already? It only snows here a little bit from what I experienced last winter. It's mostly just adjusting to having to wear double socks, triple layers, etc. that I need to get used to. I don't consider myself a hardcore roadie but that's probably because training all year in California means tolerating 50 degrees as the low point. I may have to become hardcore to tolerate the winters here where it'll probably be in the 30s come January.

Anyways, here's the full Sunday ride. The best part (aside from the sprint which I already posted) is the angler's climb at 45 minutes in. I manage to peg my max heart rate for a considerable amount of time while I try to lose the single rider following me. I never looked back but when I got to the top I realized it was Super Dave, a local legend. He was riding behind me at a comfortable heart rate with no intention of passing me.

0.jpg

Yeah, you killed it. 184-188 BPM for most of the climb with 189 over the top...great job. Nice punch over the last rise. I can barely drill a 184 these days and I can't hold it as long as you youngsters!

Good job on getting the sign.

I hear 'Push Pull' talking to you after the sprint.

Beautiful video, Cube! Now you have me wishing for warm air in Ohio!

Whose music did you use? I like it.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Beautiful video, Cube! Now you have me wishing for warm air in Ohio!

Whose music did you use? I like it.
Thanks CAMPYBOY,

The Musik is from http://www.jamendo.com/de/track/952208/kamarius-the-unseen

Here is a new Video
0.jpg

Just found this thread. Great jobs on the videos! Thanks so much for doing them. Raises my heart rate just watching.

collin2985 said:
Lol Bob Here's the sunday ride recap with narration 
I dig the videos but the numbers don't make real world sense. Your lead out buddy is doing 38mph and not peddling that fast - 90rpm tops - that'd make a gear bigger than Tony Martin uses, something like 60x11. :p

The sprint was at 39 MPH max. and 112 RPM max. if I'm reading Collin's numbers correctly. The elevation map 'looked' like a slight downgrade lead on to a level to slight upgrade sprint?

A 53 x 12 turning 115 RPM would yield 39.7 MPH.

A 53 x 11 turning 95 RPM is around 36 MPH.

So, not very far off reality IMO.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

I dig the videos but the numbers don't make real world sense. Your lead out buddy is doing 38mph and not peddling that fast - 90rpm tops - that'd make a gear bigger than Tony Martin uses, something like 60x11. :p
Oh I see what you're talking about. Aziz is the guy leading me out. He's a former track racer and he has an over-sized chainring. He told me what it was one time but I forget. The speed indicator is pretty accurate because it's using a sensor on the wheel instead of GPS.

Like Bob said, that part of democracy is slightly downhill and there tends to be a tailwind on that stretch. It's common for just about everybody to hit 38-40 mph in the sprint. If you watch any of my actual race videos you'll see that I'm not a great sprinter and I can still manage 40 there because its downhill with a tailwind.

Cube, it looks like you ride with a fun group of cyclists. Were you all part of a group of Germans on a cycling vacation?

The bar scene from your last video looked like there were hundreds of cyclists on the island for some fun training. What's the off season like and is there a bike shop there that can sell me a Campy/carbon bike to go learn the roads on?

And speaking of roads, those look a little narrow and a lot congested to be bombing it down from the mountain tops! Even a little Fiat going by and it's like riding on a side walk! Collin and his D.C. metro parkways commuter traffic training would feel right at home there.

Magnificent! You bagged the whole bunch of freds before the top! Bonus points for the centerline pass with the oncoming car.

Tell Mr. 2' of seatpost that he outgrew his bike.

Pro tip: Next time...

1. Raise your hand...casually look over your shoulder...drift back until the team car approaches.
2. Upshift to your smallest cassette gear and come to a stop.
3. As your trusty mechanic, Georgio, races towards you with a new Campagnolo Hyperon 11-27 in his hand, dismount...flip open your QR and pitch your wheel into the ditch.
4. Remount while holding the rear end up as Georgio slams that Hyperon into your dropouts!
5. Clip in and drive that ***** forward, up the hill in the 53x11 Like A Boss!

It looks like you have about the same amount of snow on the ground that we have up here. Unfortunately, it was 11° this morning here! And at least you had some sunshine for your ride!

HAHA

My mechanical support consists of a phone call to my wife and a ride home roughly 50 minutes later.

Today's weather was actually nice. Low 40's, not too much wind. This was my first ride in 3 weeks. The gym is no real replacement...

Next video, Ill hopefully have the telemetry working and perhaps a temperature gauge.

I'm on rollers since the Elektra storm (when did they start naming snow storms??? It's...uh...winter!) dropped a couple of inches on us, Saturday. Yesterday was more flurries with 20+ MPH winds driving the drying snow over the ice crust on the roads! We got up to 24° today, but the little melting we had just slopped the roads up even worse. We also have road salt that dust-coats a bike in only a few miles if the roads are dry.

Another 1"-2" tonight and maybe another inch tomorrow. And I can't get out of here until after the New Year! ****!

Hmmm? We both share mechanics that graduated from the Wife Unit School of Cycling Mechanics. If it's just a week night training loop or a bitter cold weekend ride...she better be there in under a half hour or...or...I'll think of something!

When it's cold and time matters...on a group ride, one guy peels the tire while the other gets the tube and CO2 ready. Another will fish for a mini-pump to goose the new tube and/or get the old tube folded up and stashed. Frozen fingers suck!

Originally Posted by collin2985
HAHA

My mechanical support consists of a phone call to my wife and a ride home roughly 50 minutes later.
You don't carry a bag with spare tubes, tire levers, a multi tool and a chain pin?