My second cat 4 race - another video for you guys to watch.

****! That split around the car looked freaky. Stop signs at 29 MPH? You're all gonna DIE!!!

Haulin' ass down that road like a Cat. II freight train!

I gots ta know...How the hell do a couple of those freds hang? I'm spotting a couple of funky bike setups and some bellies that don't seem to fit with that tempo. 'Splain that, if you can. The guy in the black jersey is twice as wide as the guy he's riding next to!

I think some of the riders are overdosing on human growth hormone hamburgers leading to super human cycling abilities with a side effect of obesity.

Actually, the difference between taking turns on the front at 30 mph and just hanging on the back is so stark that I get dropped if I do too many pulls whereas if I just hang in there the whole time, I can beat the cat 1s in the stop sign sprint at the end. My goal is do more turns on the front. If I can do what the Cat 1s are doing, I should do better in the Cat 4 races... theoretically speaking.

Hiding in the back is easier, but even your long, shallow climbs require some Watts to get up with the big guns. There's no hiding up many of the 5-7%'ers you guys are tackling on the goon ride.

I've seen lots and lots of 'big boy' locomotives on the flats and into the wind. Those clydes can pound out the horsepower and make a skinny dude puke trying to hold wheels. A select few of those can climb the fast, shallow stuff...if it's short enough to keep them out of the red.

Very few can fly up them the way I see you and the head of the pack cranking up them.

Must be something in their bottles...

New feature! Rearview mirror cam! It's on the wrong side and I'll fix that next time. Enjoy!
0.jpg

1.. Awesome cam view! Split screen?

2. You're humpin' it pretty hard in spots for a dead day.

3. Nice relax on the Apartment Row Climb.

4. I barely have time to get my data off my crappy Cateye Stealth GPS computer and upload it to Cateye Atlas/STRAVA/Training Peaks/Map My Ride. How do you find time to get that video uploaded (I gotta stop wasting time posting busted and ****'ed out shimaNO stuff in the Corrosion thread!). Oh wait...you probably don't have Somalian DSL like I do.

I got in a fast-slow 40+ miler last night. Fast with a tailwind with medium tempo climbing on some steep hills in the 1/2-mile length range followed by staying low and working it hard back to the start against a steady 15 MPH wide over climbs more like yours. I only touched 180 BM briefly yesterday. I envy the way you peg it at 180-185 for entire climbs!

DSL = Diva Shimano Lover. Uses Shimano and has more Jap stuff on the bike to - Cateye? I-tie. Probably doesn't have shoes with laces... :p

Hey Colin, Have you seen this one yet - Giant Shimano's lads at the Tour of California Stage 1. First view is a rear view of Degenkolbs lead out guy - a nice view of Boonen on the limit, the final view is from Degenkolbs bike. http://vimeo.com/m/95181887 Enjoy.

They really need to make this standard for all pro races. Even if they don't add the watts/HR overlay. You know your sport's coverage is behind the times when the amateurs are more innovative than the pros.

Quote by Collin:
" Even if they don't add the watts/HR overlay."

I really enjoy watching your HR, % gradient, temperature data.

The shimNO camera has some good specs, but battery life is short. I like the package size and format.

Personally, I think bike computers and sports cameras are going the way of the dodo for the average rider. The almighty smart phone will soon be doing every function. Who is going to lay down $700 for a Garmin 1000 to do GPS and another $300-$500 for a camera package when the next gen smartphones will offer all that and more for next to nothing with your data plan?

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Quote by Collin:
" Even if they don't add the watts/HR overlay."

I really enjoy watching your HR, % gradient, temperature data.

The shimNO camera has some good specs, but battery life is short. I like the package size and format.

Personally, I think bike computers and sports cameras are going the way of the dodo for the average rider. The almighty smart phone will soon be doing every function. Who is going to lay down $700 for a Garmin 1000 to do GPS and another $300-$500 for a camera package when the next gen smartphones will offer all that and more for next to nothing with your data plan?
Not a bad point. The phones need to do a better job at getting accurate data or maybe they just need to sinc up with cadence/speed sensors (do they do that yet?).

If my iphone had a better FOV and a nice mount, I wouldn't have plopped down $250 for a second gopro.

Someone needs to integrate all the electronic stuff on a bike and provide a unified source of power. It's already a pain for me on some of the long night rides as I already need one external battery for the Garmin, one for the lights and I don't have Di2 - yet. There's another battery... ... With all those where do I put the battery for the Cancellara bottom bracket motor?? At least with the Shimano camera, it's not the airbrake that a GoPro is - the Garmin cam looks pretty sleek and is said to integrate with their other products. Why not have a "lens module" integrated into the handlebar clamp with a cable to a remote unit fastened somewhere on the bike... That'd be sleek.

Collin, thanks for the videos. They've inspired me to look into racing. Before I stumbled on to these forums I was perfectly happy riding solo on the local bike trails and running intervals around my neighborhood... but your videos look like so much fun that I went out and found a (somewhat) local club that does weekly crit training. So now, as soon as my sprained wrist (from a crash 2 weeks ago) is healed, I'm going to give it a try. Judging from your videos and where I am right now, I might have to push myself just to hang on to the back of the pack but if it's as fun as it looks, then I wouldn't mind finishing last. (Hey, somebody has to be last...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin2985 .
Not a bad point. The phones need to do a better job at getting accurate data or maybe they just need to sinc up with cadence/speed sensors (do they do that yet?).
That reminds me..... my phone GPS once told me that I did a 35 second (103.5 mph) mile on one of my 16 mph avg rides. :-/

Bluman, I'm glad you are jumping into racing. You're going into it with the right attitude, just have fun. Heal up!

Quote by Bluman:
"That reminds me..... my phone GPS once told me that I did a 35 second (103.5 mph) mile on one of my 16 mph avg rides. :-/"

That's a new STRAVA KOM!!!

Ah...Baltimore in the Spring time!

Yup. Bar ends MUST be plugged for safety reasons. In a crash an open bar end can do some damage to skin and meat.

Ask someone in the crowd for one next time. Someone will pop one out for you. Lining up minus a bar plug is nowhere near as weird as watching a tri-guy line up in a sleeveless jersey.

It's been years since I've seen any NCVC guys up here.

The guy on the touring bike with fenders and panniers is badass. If he was wearing striped knee socks and a flapping rain jacket, he would be GOD!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
The guy on the touring bike with fenders and panniers is badass. If he was wearing striped knee socks and a flapping rain jacket, he would be GOD!
lol, and a recumbent bike flag pole.

That guy is strong as hell. Did you see the Harley rider in black on the second climb (48:12)? His name is Matt and he's an incredible athlete. I think he made it from cat 5 to 1 in 2 seasons.