My Son The Neophyte

Trikkerguy

Aug 28, 2014
My son has been riding my Cannondale R600 triple, but has decided to go into a single speed bicycle. He has chosen a BLB La Piovra Air Frame for reasons unknown, he say's it's a hybrid track frame that can be used on the road. I am not familiar with singlespeed bicycles, and advised him to do some research before he commits to anything. He is not familiar with components, and wants to tackle this on his own, buying components, and have a bicycle shop build the bicycle. Any advice will be appreciated.

Is he only going to be riding on city roads? How long are his rides going to be?

The frame will be great for the city, and honestly if he likes fixies then it should work for him, but there are things to be considered if he wants a hybrid, if he's only going to be on the road he can get a lighter frame and have the bike weigh less, which might be cool if he plans on riding longer distances on the road.

Member made one and only post a year ago doubtful they will reply but you never know. I hear crickets. :)

he wants a hybrid, if he's only going to be on the road he can get a lighter frame

Well for me, just allow him to use it. He's young and probably adventurous, and also much better to fix it on his own. .

You know how kids are, they like to experiment and experience things, I say let him have what he wants and just support him. He'll soon realize the differences between fixed gear and regular bikes.

You know how kids are, they like to experiment and experience things, I say let him have what he wants and just support him. He'll soon realize the differences between fixed gear and regular bikes.
I agree with your stand on the stance of the younger generation. If he is insisting then let him be happy with his decision. If something goes wrong then that's a lesson for him. A single speed bike is not that bad because I had been using a single speed for a long while although I am only a leisure rider.