My story - advice request...

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Eric Deaver, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Eric Deaver

    Eric Deaver Guest

    I am 40 years old. Run two mile three days per week. Try to lift three other days (usually just get
    in 2 days). Have ALWAYS had high Cholesterol (250+), bad hdl/ldl ratio, and high Triglycerides. Have
    been experiencing ED over the past 3 years. Lately (last few weeks) have been experiencing slight
    (very slight) discomfort - not pain - in heart area - more like lung congestion than pain. Slight
    cough as well - allergies?? Also notice one finger on my right hand (pinky) always goes numb when
    ever it get the least bit cold (60 degrees or less) or wet. Can see it is half red / half white.
    Noticed this more over past few weeks. I am on Pravachor and this lowers my C to below
    200. I do not have heart attack history in immediate family.

    My doctor called for a stress test several years ago (I was experiencing resting chest pains - gas
    he said). I passed that test fine.

    I am concerned mainly because of my ED combined with historic high C.

    masking bigger problem. I signed up for a ultrasound test with Life Line but had to cancel
    appointment due to business. I have asked my doctor if there is a better test (I do not mind paying)
    I could take. He has no problem with Lifeline for stroke carotid artery screening but saw no need
    for peripheral arterial or abdominal screenings. He has given me no suggestion as to alternatives.

    Do you all have any advice? Should I just go forward with screening or is it a waste of time (and
    money)? Would other non-invasive techniques be better? Am I wrong in thinking that just because my
    heart is strong does not mean I am safe from MI death? I may not do anything different than I am now
    but at least I could KNOW what is going on in my body.

    TIA<

    Eric

    Tags:

  2. Eric Deaver wrote:

    > I am 40 years old. Run two mile three days per week. Try to lift three other days (usually just
    > get in 2 days). Have ALWAYS had high Cholesterol (250+), bad hdl/ldl ratio, and high
    > Triglycerides.

    Not good.

    > Have been experiencing ED over the past 3 years. Lately (last few weeks) have been experiencing
    > slight (very slight) discomfort - not pain - in heart area - more like lung congestion than
    > pain. Slight cough as well - allergies?? Also notice one finger on my right hand (pinky) always
    > goes numb when ever it get the least bit cold (60 degrees or less) or wet. Can see it is half
    > red / half white. Noticed this more over past few weeks. I am on Pravachor and this lowers my C
    > to below
    > 200.

    What about LDL and HDL?

    > I do not have heart attack history in immediate family.

    What about your height and weight?

    Do you smoke?

    > My doctor called for a stress test several years ago (I was experiencing resting chest pains - gas
    > he said). I passed that test fine.

    That was several years ago.

    > I am concerned mainly because of my ED combined with historic high C.

    ED can suggest occlusive vascular disease.

    > masking bigger problem. I signed up for a ultrasound test with Life Line but had to cancel
    > appointment due to business. I have asked my doctor if there is a better test (I do not mind
    > paying) I could take. He has no problem with Lifeline for stroke carotid artery screening but saw
    > no need for peripheral arterial or abdominal screenings. He has given me no suggestion as to
    > alternatives.
    >
    > Do you all have any advice?

    You should be referred to a cardiologist for the new chest discomfort.

    > Should I just go forward with screening
    > or is it a waste of time (and money)?

    Imho, the latter.

    > Would other non-invasive techniques be better?

    Seeing a cardiologist would be better.

    > Am I wrong in thinking that just because my heart is strong does not mean I am safe from
    > MI death?

    No.

    > I may not do anything different than I am now but at least I could KNOW what is going on in
    > my body.
    >
    > TIA<
    >
    > Eric

    You are welcome.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. Eric,

    It sound like you may have signs of metabolic syndrome or of diabetes. Low HDL high Trigs are two
    signs. If you have high BP, central obesity, or high blood glucose you have a third and confirming
    sign. Fortunately there's a lot you can do. See
    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/metabolic_syndrome021203.html

    Are you a smoker? Many men with ED are. You won't see that in any cigarette ad! Re: your risk of CHD
    given your high fitness level - yes, it's lower, but it doesn't confer complete protection. Search
    for risk calculators on the web, the American Heart Association has one. If you do have metabolic
    syndrome it's imperative for you to deal with it before you get diabetes and/or CHD. Your ED is
    possibly due to damage of the tiny capillaries. What can cause that? Smoking, and high blood glucose
    are two possiblities. Please post more info about yourself: height, weight, smoking habits, diet,
    waistsize.

    Eric Deaver <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am 40 years old. Run two mile three days per week. Try to lift three other days (usually just
    > get in 2 days). Have ALWAYS had high Cholesterol (250+), bad hdl/ldl ratio, and high
    > Triglycerides. Have been experiencing ED over the past 3 years. Lately (last few weeks) have been
    > experiencing slight (very slight) discomfort - not pain - in heart area - more like lung
    > congestion than pain. Slight cough as well - allergies?? Also notice one finger on my right hand
    > (pinky) always goes numb when ever it get the least bit cold (60 degrees or less) or wet. Can see
    > it is half red / half white. Noticed this more over past few weeks. I am on Pravachor and this
    > lowers my C to below
    > 200. I do not have heart attack history in immediate family.
    >
    > My doctor called for a stress test several years ago (I was experiencing resting chest pains - gas
    > he said). I passed that test fine.
    >
    > I am concerned mainly because of my ED combined with historic high C.

    > masking bigger problem. I signed up for a ultrasound test with Life Line but had to cancel
    > appointment due to business. I have asked my doctor if there is a better test (I do not mind
    > paying) I could take. He has no problem with Lifeline for stroke carotid artery screening but saw
    > no need for peripheral arterial or abdominal screenings. He has given me no suggestion as to
    > alternatives.
    >
    > Do you all have any advice? Should I just go forward with screening or is it a waste of time (and
    > money)? Would other non-invasive techniques be better? Am I wrong in thinking that just because my
    > heart is strong does not mean I am safe from MI death? I may not do anything different than I am
    > now but at least I could KNOW what is going on in my body.
    >
    > TIA<
    >
    > Eric

  4. Eric Deaver

    Eric Deaver Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:27:33 -0400, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Eric Deaver wrote:
    >
    >> I am 40 years old. Run two mile three days per week. Try to lift three other days (usually just
    >> get in 2 days). Have ALWAYS had high Cholesterol (250+), bad hdl/ldl ratio, and high
    >> Triglycerides.
    >
    >Not good.
    >
    >> Have been experiencing ED over the past 3 years. Lately (last few weeks) have been experiencing
    >> slight (very slight) discomfort - not pain - in heart area - more like lung congestion than
    >> pain. Slight cough as well - allergies?? Also notice one finger on my right hand (pinky) always
    >> goes numb when ever it get the least bit cold (60 degrees or less) or wet. Can see it is half
    >> red / half white. Noticed this more over past few weeks. I am on Pravachor and this lowers my C
    >> to below
    >> 200.
    >
    >What about LDL and HDL?

    I took Lipitor for a while but the ED started 6 months into that (also six month after vasectomy - I
    know I'm a mess). My LDL/HDL ratio was good when on Lipitor - I have started on Prav just about a
    month ago and have not had followup test yet - just assumed it would come back into range since I
    responded so well to Lipitor.

    >> I do not have heart attack history in immediate family.
    >>

    >What about your height and weight?

    I am 5'9" and weigh between 155 and 160 - little body fat.

    >Do you smoke?

    I used to some 15 years ago - no longer.

    >> My doctor called for a stress test several years ago (I was experiencing resting chest pains -
    >> gas he said). I passed that test fine.
    >>

    >That was several years ago.
    >

    >> I am concerned mainly because of my ED combined with historic high C.
    >
    >ED can suggest occlusive vascular disease.

    I understand that so how could I confirm or deny the vascular disease?

    >> masking bigger problem. I signed up for a ultrasound test with Life Line but had to cancel
    >> appointment due to business. I have asked my doctor if there is a better test (I do not mind
    >> paying) I could take. He has no problem with Lifeline for stroke carotid artery screening but saw
    >> no need for peripheral arterial or abdominal screenings. He has given me no suggestion as to
    >> alternatives.
    >>
    >> Do you all have any advice?
    >
    >You should be referred to a cardiologist for the new chest discomfort.

    What can a cardiologist do in terms of confirming or denying the vascular disease?

    >> Should I just go forward with screening
    >> or is it a waste of time (and money)?
    >
    >Imho, the latter.
    >
    >> Would other non-invasive techniques be better?
    >
    >Seeing a cardiologist would be better.

    >> Am I wrong in thinking that just because my heart is strong does not mean I am safe from MI
    >> death?
    >
    >No.
    >
    >> I may not do anything different than I am now but at least I could KNOW what is going on in
    >> my body.
    >>
    >> TIA<
    >>
    >> Eric
    >
    >You are welcome.

    Eric

  5. Eric Deaver

    Eric Deaver Guest

    On 25 Sep 2003 16:38:50 -0700, [email protected] (Brad
    Sheppard) wrote:

    >Eric,
    >
    >It sound like you may have signs of metabolic syndrome or of diabetes. Low HDL high Trigs are two
    >signs. If you have high BP, central obesity, or high blood glucose you have a third and confirming
    >sign. Fortunately there's a lot you can do. See
    >http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/metabolic_syndrome021203.html
    >
    >Are you a smoker? Many men with ED are. You won't see that in any cigarette ad! Re: your risk of
    >CHD given your high fitness level - yes, it's lower, but it doesn't confer complete protection.
    >Search for risk calculators on the web, the American Heart Association has one. If you do have
    >metabolic syndrome it's imperative for you to deal with it before you get diabetes and/or CHD. Your
    >ED is possibly due to damage of the tiny capillaries. What can cause that? Smoking, and high blood
    >glucose are two possiblities. Please post more info about yourself: height, weight, smoking habits,
    >diet, waistsize.

    I am 5'9" and weigh about 155 - 160. My waist size is 32. My diet is relatively good but I do not
    follow strict non-fat diet. I do not smoke but I used to some 15 years ago.

    I should note that my HDLs are not so much low as my LDL's are high. My HDLs are consistently around
    35-40 while my LDLs are in the 170 - 190 range.

    Eric

  6. Eric Deaver wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:27:33 -0400, "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Eric Deaver wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am 40 years old. Run two mile three days per week. Try to lift three other days (usually just
    > >> get in 2 days). Have ALWAYS had high Cholesterol (250+), bad hdl/ldl ratio, and high
    > >> Triglycerides.
    > >
    > >Not good.
    > >
    > >> Have been experiencing ED over the past 3 years. Lately (last few weeks) have been
    > >> experiencing slight (very slight) discomfort - not pain - in heart area - more like lung
    > >> congestion than pain. Slight cough as well - allergies?? Also notice one finger on my right
    > >> hand (pinky) always goes numb when ever it get the least bit cold (60 degrees or less) or wet.
    > >> Can see it is half red / half white. Noticed this more over past few weeks. I am on Pravachor
    > >> and this lowers my C to below
    > >> 200.
    > >
    > >What about LDL and HDL?
    >
    > I took Lipitor for a while but the ED started 6 months into that (also six month after vasectomy -
    > I know I'm a mess). My LDL/HDL ratio was good when on Lipitor - I have started on Prav just about
    > a month ago and have not had followup test yet - just assumed it would come back into range since
    > I responded so well to Lipitor.
    >

    > >> I do not have heart attack history in immediate family.
    > >>

    > >What about your height and weight?
    >
    > I am 5'9" and weigh between 155 and 160 - little body fat.
    >

    > >Do you smoke?
    >
    > I used to some 15 years ago - no longer.
    >

    > >> My doctor called for a stress test several years ago (I was experiencing resting chest pains -
    > >> gas he said). I passed that test fine.
    > >>

    > >That was several years ago.
    > >

    > >> I am concerned mainly because of my ED combined with historic high C.
    > >
    > >ED can suggest occlusive vascular disease.
    >
    > I understand that so how could I confirm or deny the vascular disease?
    >

    > >> masking bigger problem. I signed up for a ultrasound test with Life Line but had to cancel
    > >> appointment due to business. I have asked my doctor if there is a better test (I do not mind
    > >> paying) I could take. He has no problem with Lifeline for stroke carotid artery screening but
    > >> saw no need for peripheral arterial or abdominal screenings. He has given me no suggestion as
    > >> to alternatives.
    > >>
    > >> Do you all have any advice?
    > >
    > >You should be referred to a cardiologist for the new chest discomfort.
    >
    > What can a cardiologist do in terms of confirming or denying the vascular disease?

    Lots of different kinds of stress tests.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  7. Eric,

    Your weight and waistsize are excellent - good job. Frankly I'm baffled - how's your blood pressure
    and fasting blood glucose? If they're normal you can rule out metabolic syndrome. It seems to me
    that a simple test for PAD might be indicated ( measure BP in ankle and arm with ultrasound) given
    your symptoms. It sure seems like something abnormal is going on with you.

> [...]
    > >> gas he said). I passed that test fine.
    > >>
    > >> I am concerned mainly because of my ED combined with historic high C.

    > >> masking bigger problem. I signed up for a ultrasound test with Life Line but had to cancel
    > >> appointment due to business. I have asked my doctor if there is a better test (I do not mind
    > >> paying) I could take. He has no problem with Lifeline for stroke carotid artery screening but
    > >> saw no need for peripheral arterial or abdominal screenings. He has given me no suggestion as
    > >> to alternatives.
    > >>
    > >> Do you all have any advice? Should I just go forward with screening or is it a waste of time
    > >> (and money)? Would other non-invasive techniques be better? Am I wrong in thinking that just
    > >> because my heart is strong does not mean I am safe from MI death? I may not do anything
    > >> different than I am now but at least I could KNOW what is going on in my body.

  8. Eric Deaver

    Eric Deaver Guest

    On 26 Sep 2003 08:06:27 -0700, [email protected] (Brad
    Sheppard) wrote:

    >Eric,
    >
    >Your weight and waistsize are excellent - good job. Frankly I'm baffled - how's your blood pressure
    >and fasting blood glucose? If they're normal you can rule out metabolic syndrome. It seems to me
    >that a simple test for PAD might be indicated ( measure BP in ankle and arm with ultrasound) given
    >your symptoms. It sure seems like something abnormal is going on with you.

    My doctor did a full blood workup on me recently. Aside from Chol. and Triglyc., nothing abnormal.
    BP is low. I am scheudled for ultrasound and BP test in early October. Only other thing to do is go
    see cardiologist for more stress tests or other non-invasives. If October test shows nothing, that
    is what I will do.

    Eric

    >Eric Deaver <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 25 Sep 2003 16:38:50 -0700, [email protected] (Brad Sheppard) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Eric,
    >> >
    >> >It sound like you may have signs of metabolic syndrome or of diabetes. Low HDL high Trigs are
    >> >two signs. If you have high BP, central obesity, or high blood glucose you have a third and
    >> >confirming sign. Fortunately there's a lot you can do. See
    >> >http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/metabolic_syndrome021203.html
    >> >
    >> >Are you a smoker? Many men with ED are. You won't see that in any cigarette ad! Re: your risk of
    >> >CHD given your high fitness level - yes, it's lower, but it doesn't confer complete protection.
    >> >Search for risk calculators on the web, the American Heart Association has one. If you do have
    >> >metabolic syndrome it's imperative for you to deal with it before you get diabetes and/or CHD.
    >> >Your ED is possibly due to damage of the tiny capillaries. What can cause that? Smoking, and
    >> >high blood glucose are two possiblities. Please post more info about yourself: height, weight,
    >> >smoking habits, diet, waistsize.
    >>
    >> I am 5'9" and weigh about 155 - 160. My waist size is 32. My diet is relatively good but I do not
    >> follow strict non-fat diet. I do not smoke but I used to some 15 years ago.
    >>
    >> I should note that my HDLs are not so much low as my LDL's are high. My HDLs are consistently
    >> around 35-40 while my LDLs are in the 170 - 190 range.
    >>
    >> Eric
    >>

    >> >Eric Deaver <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:<[email protected]>...

  9. Hmmm - that's baffling. Low blood pressure is good - ideal BP is
    115/75. There's a blood test you can do yourself for $25 - it's Hba1c. Hba1c measures your average
    blood glucose over the last 8 to 12 weeks. This could rule out diabetes or metabolic
    syndrome if normal. The home test kit is called "A1cNow" and is sold by Walgreen's among
    others. Hba1c actually predicts heart disease better than chol, and if your number is high
    you could have diabetes or pre-diabetes. See
    http://vanderbiltowc.wellsource.com/dh/content.asp?ID=621